Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Bull Hawking Male, 29, United States (4/13/2013 11:36:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Ok, I'll try to help....thought the poem may interpret me more than I do it. The ghost is his former lover who lives in the attic of his mind. She by haunting him is destroying him his mind his wife his job everything.. The rats in the sox means that there are holes in Molly's way of walking...especially their intimacy sexual or otherwise..The video game is their replaying of the affair and subsequent events. The cookies are good thoughts he tries to pay the ghost with...memories of the affair or of her specifically... but ghosts are never appeased with such trifles. The eyes are grayer due to the fact that she is also sad and knows the love can't be revived....a far cry from the lively lovely eyes she had when they were in the affair. the chest contains his heart which he the pirate must sit on now as then due to the fact he stole her heart and their love by deciding to stay with Molly. The box is the paradox or conundrum they were in trying to resolve the unresolvable....the ghost sits there because it is over she keeps the lid on it so to speak. The Victorian dress is the old notions of protocol that he saw and maybe she saw that caused them to decided to stay married rather than split with the spouse. Allow that I could be far off due to the ghost in MY attic.Hope some of this helps.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Pascha Brown (4/13/2013 7:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Wow, I didn't realize how powerful the poem is over other people b/c I discussed it with someone who just read it on a surface level. The strange circumstances and beautiful language made me envision the plot in an attempt to see every detail. I wanted to fully appreciate the meaning but can" t access the writer" s intent due to the abstract title. I have trouble picturing the action without making up my own story to fill in the gaps. Now, I see it as kind of a murder mystery. What you said about the poem reflecting things about the reader really makes sense. It's a piece of writing that ignites the imagination and carries it away. Since you" ve pieced certain images / lines together in a somewhat persuasive fashion, I" d be interested to know more about what you think the title means. Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies for this message:
    • Bull Hawking (4/14/2013 7:11:00 AM) Post reply

The Design....means we design our own lives our own ghosts our own insanity....if you will. We design the ending too as in the end he is United with the ghost looking at the beautiful picture they had ... more

[Hata Bildir]