Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey Male, 26, Nigeria (10/15/2005 5:36:00 AM)

how is poetry viewed down there? Over here only folks who love been alone and reading alot of poetry and prose that know the importance of poetry.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Max Reif (10/15/2005 8:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, yeah, 'down here' (USA) that's true. Last week someone posted a famous essay by poet Dana Goia called, I think, 'Does Poetry Matter', and Goia's answer, in America, was basically 'no'-that poetry does not currently have a central place in our society. Unlike Iranians and Russians, most Americans cannot recite volumes of poetry by heart. We live on the stock market page.

I don't know about that last sentence, it just popped out and sounded good. Poetry has some importance for many people I know personally. Though 'most people' may not be into it, as ee cummings once wrote, 'you and i are not most people.'

Replies for this message:
    • Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (10/16/2005 11:01:00 AM) Post reply

i hope that is not discouraging you from writing. there are few good nigerian poets who are recognised. an example is wole soyinka and the likes i think i look up to them and that is what encourages ... more

[Hata Bildir]