Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler Male, 39, United States (9/27/2005 8:14:00 AM)

hot damn, that Dylan doc last night was just awesome. Dylan has influenced nearly every rock artist (and poet!) this side of JFK's Assassination. i was most impressed with the people that influenced Dylan. and the footage was incredible, every frame of it. Scorcese has done a marvelous job.

part 2 tonight!

Jake

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Michael Shepherd (9/27/2005 4:54:00 PM) Post reply

10.30 pm British time - 2nd Dylan doc brilliant. Answering idiotic 'label' questions...squirm-making, he's so smart not answering them - 'what do you think? ' 'I've never heard your music...'

• Max Reif (9/27/2005 3:37:00 PM) Post reply

I felt Mr. Dylan was totally straight in his discussions with Scorcese. Those grey, or green, or grey-green eyes seemed to look into the past and recall everything with utter precision. He's the only one who really knows what he's been through, and I feel he told us. His mind has an amazing succinctness when he's talking prose.
    And coupled with the amazing footage of so many things many of us have lived through, around, in or with...well, read my poem.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (9/27/2005 3:00:00 PM) Post reply

you are right, Michael, Dylan is a bit elusive and evasive; reluctant to reveal himself in any great detail. it might be because, since he changed his name, he has always relied on the mystery of his origin and true self to propel his 'vagabond minstrel' image. also, Dylan developed a severe mistrust of the press and the media in general after (early in his career) the very aforementioned secrets he kept were exposed and splash across every newspaper and gossip column in the US and UK. after the height of his popularity, stalkers and deranged fans began terrorizing him and his family as well.

as a result, Zimmy has been notoriously secretive. and, while the man still remains as much a mystery as ever, the documentary seems to be more about his music, and unravelling the influences of one of the most influencial musicians of our day.

Jake

• Michael Shepherd (9/27/2005 11:08:00 AM) Post reply

For a guy with no singing voice or musical sense, Dylan's a vital force...but he doesn't reveal much of himself, does he? Though I'm told we get a bit more of Dylan on Dylan tonight. So far I find hinm pretty much inscrutable as a person.

• Poetry Hound (9/27/2005 10:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes, it was a finely made and thoroughly engaging film. It just reaffirms what a unique guy Dylan is. He couldn't conform if he tried to. I liked the story of how he made off with that guy's records and the guy came after him with a bowling pin but instead they got into talking and enjoying each other instead of fighting. Those kinds of stories, along with the excellent concert footage, really makes the documentary hum. Looking forward to part deux.

Replies for this message:
    • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (9/27/2005 3:45:00 PM) Post reply

i got a kick out of Joan Baez's impression of Dylan as he mulled over a song he wrote. speaking of conformity, it was also interesting to hear how Bobby entertained the idea of going to West Point. ... more

[Hata Bildir]