Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (8/24/2005 2:17:00 PM)

I agree with Matt's 'mexican language' analogy. Frankly, if You post your poems here, you can expect either 4 things..to be praised, to be ripped to shreds, to be misunderstood, or to be overlooked altogether. This is a public forum and in some sense, the 'big leagues', in that a great many mags wouldnt publish a poem that is already on PH because they'd consider the PH poems already 'published'. So if you're a rank amateur, feel free to 'publish' your poems here, but be prepared for the possibly less than glowing comments of others. You're sharing a site with the likes of Dickinson, Whitman, Stevens, Pound and Eliot; and I've seen some tough comments on their work too. As long as the remarks are basically respectful, fairly informed and intelligent, and not catty or snotty or personal, and not just a blanket 'you're AWFUL', I'd say anything goes.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/24/2005 7:10:00 PM) Post reply

In the spirit of Carter the man from the desert I announce what y'all have been waiting for: A rhyming poem about current events. No similarities beyond the rhymes.
    Best wishes
    H

• Michael Shepherd (8/24/2005 4:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

.. and you forgot the fifth thing, Lamont - you might even get a polite, helpful suggestion or two, via the messaging service... something far more valuable than the other four, and not infrequent, happily...

Replies for this message:
    • Lamont Palmer (8/24/2005 4:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Mike, heres a question for you, if you see this...why is bad poetry so tolerated or sometimes justified in ways that bad violin playing, or bad pitching in even a little league baseball game, or bad ... more

• Lamont Palmer (8/24/2005 2:44:00 PM) Post reply

I think she means if the critiquer does not understand the sentiment of the poem its unfair to give it a low rating. For the record, the sentiment of the poem is secondary to me. I look for originality, fresh language and inventive phrasings. I read countless poems that make wonderful sense but are poorly written, employing warmed-over, cliched figures of speech or not attempting musicality at all. So whether I 'get' the poem or not, thats irrelevant to me.

• Matthew Pearson (8/24/2005 2:32:00 PM) Post reply

I would say that for the poet NOT to understand the sentiment behind the poem that they WROTE is a rather significant failing! Your statement is priceless, Ahari. Unless we are dealing with something complex. We are usually not.

[Hata Bildir]