Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Max Reif Male, 66, United States (8/24/2005 10:21:00 AM)

I would like to bring up again the topic of etiquette in Comments. Not everyone is writing to be published in an anthology of British and American poetry. Some 'love poems' on this site are actual being written to a person the author is in love with. I don't feel it's appropriate to critique such pieces with a cold analytical scalpel.

In addition, for many people here, English is a 2nd or 3rd language. A piece of writing in English is likely a great effort, of which they're very proud. You don't have to like it, as 'sophisticated' Western poetry, but what is to be gained, I ask-for anyone-by dumping on such efforts? Unless someone is really an aspiring 'literary' poets like some of us Forum folks, why not just appreciate what's there or discreetly, tactfully, leave what balm of silence is on the page intact, and go on to the next poem?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Michael Shepherd (8/24/2005 11:37:00 AM) Post reply

And here's the moment to thank and praise Ronberge for correcting with a light grace, my lousy attempts (out of green envy for their chansons populaires) at French lyrics...

Amicalement votre, mon cop,

Michael

• Michael Shepherd (8/24/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply

Of course, you could go for constructive criticism in non-show-off language...

• Matthew Pearson (8/24/2005 11:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

So, you are saying it is fair to judge people by different criteria? That smacks of unfairness and prejudice to me. It is a poetry site. If it were a dating service or an 'improve your English' site then your comment would stand. I'm not aiming to have poetry published but you won't find me moaning about critiques. Infact, I've just read a critique of one of my poems that was on the money and it wasn't afraid to criticise. It's not personal. It's about the printed word. If I wrote a poem in Mexican and it made no sense in Mexican or it was feeble, I'd want the truth. Furthermore, as to your 'some 'love poems' on this site are actual being written to a person the author is in love with. I don't feel it's appropriate to critique such pieces with a cold analytical scalpel.' Could you be any more politically correct if you tried? Give the poem to your lover if you can't take an honest appraisal. Don't stick it on a public website! Go for broke on my poems, or ignore me. Either way is fine. Oh, and Mr. Reif sent me this message almost word-for-word to my inbox, so I am responding directly to it.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/25/2005 12:18:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, of course the voices of left brain (Max) and Right brain (Mahnaz) again make sense. When you talk about 'forced rhyme' you show your ignorance, when you talk about forced rhyme in a limerick yo ... more

• Max Reif (8/24/2005 11:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Why do you need to lay into people? What do you get out of it? Not everyone understands the tradition of Western 'criticism' or mean-spiritedness, some people feel they're coming to a friendly site, a ... more

• Poetry Hound (8/24/2005 11:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It's hard to read people's minds as to their intent in posting a poem. How do we know which ones welcome constructive criticsm and which ones don't? All we know is that they want to go public with their poem. So if they go public, I must assume (unless they state otherwise) that they want a reaction. Etiquette is important, but there's a huge gray area between a polite pat on the back and insulting personal attacks. I think civil criticism and even humor are perfectly acceptable responses to each and every poem posted here.

• Max Reif (8/24/2005 11:46:00 AM) Post reply

Well, I suppose you're right, Hound. I have some suspicion though that some people who come here don't know about our 'critical' tradition and might not understand it, and that they think they're sim ... more

[Hata Bildir]