Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Michael Shepherd Male, 85, United Kingdom (8/14/2005 10:45:00 AM)

Right, class, back to your desks and pay attention, put those snaps of your Poetry Camp away especially the one you're all sniggering over, and you can take that 'whatever' expression off your face right now, Kolb...

Have you all read the Hartman book on Free Verse: the Prosody of? I guess you teachers have. It's not deckchair reading - I've given it two afternoons and I'm only up to page 40 of towards 200... it's the sort of book that you need to read if only to find out what someone else (of the few) has made of the territory. It's a scrupulous piece of academics, but if I tell you that Chapter 2 is entitled 'Accentualism, Isochrony, Musical Fallacy'...? There are times when Hartman, bless his little cotton intentions, seems the least appropriate person to take on the job, but hey, someone had to... and he totally disqualifies himself in my eyes/ears, since I wonder if he's ever written verse himself, or talked about what he's talking about, to an actor...nevertheless, essential reading, I'd say, if only to clear the air a bit. He does dispel some loose thinking about metered v. rhythmic v. 'free'. And the bibliography of 110 items could spiral my Amazonian forest of debt... So ipods off, you there, and take out your electronic notebooks...and no, I won't precis it for you, you lazy laid-backs...

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Max Reif (8/14/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I just broke down & ordered the book last night. The library wanted &5 to process an interlibrary loan, and I could buy it for 10 without leaving home.
    Those chapter titles are scary, though, Michael. So many of the books I get from Amazon sit mostly unread. sigh. I'll give it a whirl though, when it comes. I ordered the cheapest shipping, I think it's coming on the back of a mule.

I just found a chapter last night on prosody in a recent book of criticism by Robert Haas. If I feel it's good, I'll post some excerpts.

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]