Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Collette Parniere Female, 50, France (8/12/2005 2:42:00 AM)

********** Mr. Carter, as I have said many times, criticism – even harsh criticism – is fine. Disagreement with each other is fine. In fact, it is healthy. The problem is with name-calling, personal insults, and attacks on one another’s character. These are not acceptable. You and a few others may have thick skins, but judging from the complaints we receive, most people do not prefer an atmosphere poisoned by attacks and incivility. Collette. **********

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Collette Parniere (8/12/2005 3:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

********** Is this really so difficult to understand? Mr. Carter, please do not call Mr. Nerhlich names, including “Nerdlick, ” and Mr. Nehlich, you de-legitimized your complaint by adding in this insult: “No one here can help his relative lack of talent.” Please refrain from this sort of thing. **********

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/12/2005 3:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

That no one here can help his relative lack of talent is a fact that is relevant to this situation. It is not attacking anyone nor is it in any way 'de-legitimising' my complaint. And it is most certa ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/12/2005 2:47:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Collette, a typical example is taking place while we speak. I do object to Carter calling me Nerdlick which he has just done. Childish is correct and it is obvious that stronger measures may be needed. Would you kindly show Carter the rules of basic etiquette. No one here can help his relative lack of talent, it is no justification for personal attacks and name calling.
    Best wishes
    H

[Hata Bildir]