Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Raynette Eitel Female, 77, United States (5/18/2005 10:15:00 AM)

This poem reminds me of Carl Sandburg's 'Chicago.' The first line of Sandburg's 'Hog Butcher for the World, ' seems the same as 'Tuesdays were pigs.' It never ceases to amaze me that a poem can be made of any topic. It can be aesthetic or brutal, earthy or ethereal, and the poet can make it work. (or not) This poem gave me a glimpse at a part of life I'd rather not know about. On the other hand, I suspect there are people who raise hogs and take them to market and then go home and read poetry or listen to Bach. It is usually people on the outside to pin labels on others.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Michael Shepherd (5/18/2005 12:59:00 PM) Post reply

Incidentally, Rich Hanson, who has recently withdrawn from the site but may (hallo, Rich....) be dropping in from time to time, writes serious, researched poetry in leisure hours between family, ball-games, poetry readings and overseeing a slaughter-house... no stereotypes there!

• Michael Shepherd (5/18/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks for the response, Raynette (who I note, has thrived on poemhunter so far?) ... for me it is a well-presented 'slice of real life' which, though I wouldn't be up to it myself unless raised to it, carries a welcome sense of truth, in poetry. I'd call it a poem which does what it sets out to do, and rather effectively.
    I was/am hoping to draw the contributors to this potentially serious (!) forum who have strong views about poetry, as well as the rest of us who 'know what we like' and hope to progress from that!

[Hata Bildir]