Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Poetry Hound Male, 60, United States (4/8/2005 3:30:00 PM)

Now that I think about it, one doesn't necessarily communicate better in person than over the internet. I'm thinking about it in a business sense. My career has taken me all over the world and the style of communicating in China and Japan, for instance, is very different from the style in the West. There is a great value put on indirectness and face saving, and there are certain cultural niceties you have to adhere to in meetings. Even if you know this in advance, it can be maddening to do business in these countries. But over the internet, it seems almost silly to be indirect, and my Chinese and Japanese colleagues understand this for the most part. They get right to the point and send terse emails just like Westerners. So I think the internet has actually improved communications in this regard, or at least made them more efficient. However, with this homogenization of cummunication, the things that gets lost are many of the cultural niceties.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Lenchen Elf (4/8/2005 4:17:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi PH
    A global form of communication can sit quite happily alongside the retention of personal culture, though as you say in business and as I've experienced in the global exchange and analysis of research papers for example, a discussion is held within set literal parameters for the sake of expediency. One of the delights of this site and poetry as a whole is the ability to step beyond the need to comm. things in terse format and get back to being wonderfully human and woolly.
    all the best

L

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]