Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lekan Hassan Nigeria (1/4/2005 5:12:00 AM)

Dear Poets,

I was just looking for a nice place where I can paste my poems and meet other members that are willing to share their feeling about poetry with me.
Hailed from Nigeria, I am usually afraid of scam sites that lures people into submitting their poems and afterward, steal the poems and publish them with their own names.

Apperantly, this is one of the major reason that makes a man wary about placing his work on the internet and amongst those poets that are wary, I am one of them. Would like to talk to other people to know ttheir opinion about what I have stated so far.

Ciao.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Maria Kamy Abdool (1/24/2005 4:55:00 AM) Post reply

Hello Dear,
    I do agree with your concerns about people stealing your poems. It is very important to get your work copyrite before you submit them online. I submit a lot of my work online but only the ones that are already published in my anthologies.

• Kim McInnis (1/11/2005 1:13:00 PM) Post reply

With the Internet you can never be %100 safe. We hope we can find a site with enough honesty not to take advantage of aspiring writers, but there is never any guarantee.

I used to submit a lot of my poems to Poetry.com. Like a lot of those other online publishing houses, I got stuff in the mail inviting me to purchase products with my poetry included or engraved in it, or even to attend supposed symposiums or Poet of the Year conventions. I had people telling me Poetry.com was a scam; I had others saying it was perfectly righteous. In the end, I decided not to take the risk. I don't submit much of my writing to Internet publications now, aside from my private journal, because I would be devastated if anything I wrote was stolen.

In the end, it's up to you. My hopes are that in this particular circle, since we are all poets we will all respect each other's work.

• Adegbite Aderemi (1/6/2005 4:51:00 AM) Post reply

Although you are right the fear of being published once poem or rather creative work to be precise but if you can't give, my fellow country poet friend, you can't get anything.

I also have the fear when started on the Internet but I was marvelled when a publishing house under Forward Press (www.forwardpress.co.uk) , Poetry Now chose my poem 'Gravity Of Love' for publication. My fellow poet, the poem is now part of the newly published antology 'Requiem of Love'. You can now buy this antology on their website: www.forwardpress.co.uk now.

However, they sent me a parcel which cantained form asking me for Accceptance and Permission prior thw publication. And I signed it and sent it back to them.

To my highest astonishment, Circle Of Poet equally picked it for publication without asking for any money for there currently published material.

And ever since I've been sending many of my wroks to poetry website(s) i.e poettext.com, allpoet.com, poemhunter.com etc.

No Shaking
    Your Right
    Is with you
    Any time
    Any day.

Browse my website www.remlartpoems.8m.net

• Claire Blake (1/5/2005 3:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I hadn't thought about the point you made until my friend pointed it out today. I don't know whether my (or indeed, yours) work is safe here, and is bound soley to us. Hopefully, all is well.. My poems are bad, but it doesn't stop them from being mine.

Replies for this message:
    • dissatified exmember (1/6/2005 12:49:00 PM) Post reply

darling Poet friends. You NEVER put your work out there unless it is copyrited. Always copyright your work and that safeguards you against people stealing it. I always wait until my work is publishe ... more

[Hata Bildir]