Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Duane Harris Male, 52, United States (11/23/2004 1:00:00 PM)

has anyone seen the movie Sylvia, about Sylvia Plath. Gwyneth Paltrow stars as Sylvia. I thought it was gret and that Ms. Paltrow did a wonderful job.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Maria Kamy Abdool (1/24/2005 4:57:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Yes, it was indeed a wonderful movie. Honestly, I had no idea it was about Sylvia Platt until I actually saw the movie, but it was splendid.

• Rookie Cathy Jackson (1/4/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, I did see the movie, and it was very moving - some of her poetry is very hard to read, not that it deals so much with death, but that it seems incoherent much of the time (drugs perhaps) , some of her stuff is brilliant though. Gwyneth did indeed do a great job of portraying Ms. Plath, but then, I expect little else from Ms. Paltrow, she is a wonderfully convincing actress. Another movie you might enjoy is the Dorothy Parker (the vicious circle) movie - her poetry is very witty with a cynical twist.

• Rookie Suzanne Hege (12/9/2004 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

I agree. I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it, being a long time Plath fan. However, I was extremely impressed at the passion with which Paltrow played her role.

• Rookie C M (11/28/2004 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It was really well done, however, I thought they really brushed over her mental illness and severe depression. She had a haunted soul, and they made her out to be only possessive wife without touching on what really tormented her. They also said little about her father, which was such a driving force in her poetry.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Duane Harris (11/29/2004 9:01:00 PM) Post reply

Exactly. They barely covered ted's affairs, he had more than one. And made her out to look like a total shrew without touching on the effect Otto's death had on her and if I hadn't known the story I ... more

[Hata Bildir]