Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 945 Points Mike Acker (10/13/2014 2:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I believe the original phrase, " Monty the Mule" was coined by someone other than myself. Then, when Palmer exhibited certain stubborn characteristics in reaction to a logical statement I made, I understood why he was described as a mule. If he is hurt by this phrase, there are other terms which can be used like " Monty the Jack Arse" . Whatever helps make this site more civilized. The term " streaker" originated from one of the trolls which posted a poem in which either Sherrie streaked through a chocolate fondue or her lover, I don't recall which. I think it was this poem portion:
    " I will blaze unchocolated through your world, " . After that many people began to refer to her as the " streaker" (well, for other reasons also) .

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 94 Points Professor Plum (10/13/2014 2:10:00 PM) Post reply

Mista Plum we had no idea you are so pissed of at the world. Every 2nd post made by you contains so many " LOL's" that we all assumed you been happy. You and Palmer use LOL so much that we all thought we's all having a ball.

• Rookie - 914 Points Professor Plum (10/13/2014 1:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mandolyn, this " Acker" (and his name stealing personas) situation has been going on for a long time. " Acker" is a troll who craves attention, and has no real interest in poetry at all. Go through his posts for the last 6 months and all you will see is his asinine " big bird, streaker" type posts which have nothing to do with what the forum is supposed to be about. He NEVER talks about poetry.
    Basically, everyone tries to ignore him/her(whomever the real acker is) , but he makes having a conversation impossible. Control freak, troll, whatever you want to call it. When Jimmy Hogg challenged Acker, all of sudden there was another " jimmy Hawg" persona out there. Same thing with Steven Ralph (who used to be Scotty Dogg before Acker stole his name) and myself. He's done this with several members on here. All of his/their/Acker's posts mirror each other EXACTLY. It's the same person, there's no doubt.
    Most on here don't mind a little humor, debate, and confrontation, as long as it's done in a semi-respectful, or funny way. Not " Acker" .Nope, he's about control and hate, and that's it.
    You'll see, the first time you challenge him, or give him a negative review, there'll be a new " Mandolyn" persona out there spouting off about " mules, streakers, etc."

• Gold Star - 10,470 Points John Westlake (10/13/2014 1:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Even the greatest of all poets started out by writing poor quality poetry before they became great. People were patient and gave them time. Now this is not the case and it's a shame. Surely we should try to be patient with poets who write poorly now in the hope that they can become great in the future

• Jefferson Carter (10/13/2014 8:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Perhaps, John. However, the great ones were dedicated to studying, working hard, taking criticism as a gift, in other words, they knew they were writing badly and accepted and valued intelligent if h ... more

• Rookie - 945 Points Mike Acker (10/13/2014 11:39:00 AM) Post reply

Here is what all this is really about.....
    Ever since I have been here, I've noticed that there are two camps in regards to critiquing poetry.

The first, which I refer to as the Darth Vader camp, consists of minor characters like Lamont Palmer(Darth Vader) , Plum(aka Scotty Dogg and other female dog names) , Sherrie Kolb Gonzalez(streaks often) , poor Adam Snow, Dotdash! ! ????et al. Individuals within this group are never allowed to deviate from the general, biased opinion of their " leader" . If they ever do, they are immediately chastised. The sole function of the members of this group is to ensure that their leader is constantly praised and made to feel that he has reached greatness with his poetry.

The second, which I refer to as the " Good guys" or the Jedi, consists of major players, like Jefferson Carter(the leader) , Mike Acker(generally a great guy) , Peter Stavropoulos(true rebel) , Mandolyn(funny and refreshing and unbiased) , Jim Hogg, and some others. This group consists of free, and independent thinkers appraising poetry in a completely unbiased way.
    The sole function of the members of this group is to spread the " Good Word" of the universe, provide unbiased, and supportive critiques for the general membership.

The " Dark Side" , led by Palmer, tend to take on multiple personas, which they use to disrupt the forum, and make personal attacks on members of the " Good Guys" group. Any comments made by members of the " Dark Side" must have their leader's(Darth Vader or Palmer) prior approval.

• Rookie - 945 Points Mike Acker (10/13/2014 11:03:00 AM) Post reply

Mandolyn liked the poem below very much. I like Mandolyn as she has a quirky side and is overall very refreshing in her comments and attitude. JC liked it enough to want to make some minor changes(which I agree with, by the way) . Those two statements alone neither make the poem great nor make me a great poem. On the other hand it shows that two people, I like and respect(as unbiased critics) , find my poetry worthwhile.

" Mandolyn... Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (10/5/2014 11: 22: 00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I must say, this is incredible.
    I stopped peeling potatoes as soon as I got to the second strophe."

Holds

Start with the empty holds
    of rusting tankers. Turn over fallen
    cherry blossom petals.

Try the taste of crunchy larvae, fresh
    in their honeycombs. Look a bit beyond
    the death of a wounded soldier. Sense it

in the flight of spring birds going nowhere
    on Sunday mornings. Climb atop fallen
    mountains for those grand, past views.

Listen to the sound of the setting sun.
    Crawl in with hermit crabs, like you belong.

Live a lifetime in the shadows of silver-
    tarnished, billowing clouds. Feel for it
    just below the neck scales of an alligator

skimming the surface. Didn't you just
    see it, in the corner of the eye of the
    smiling Jehovah's Witness?

And, if all else fails, kiss, greedily,
    the full lips of a quiet woman.

Do come see me when you're done. I'll be
    at the far end of the bar,
    at the Last Hope Saloon.

Mike Acker

• Bronze Star - 7,381 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/13/2014 3:53:00 AM) Post reply

I today read the poetry " Chain of pearls" written by great poet Rabindra Nath Tagore. The most interested line in the poem I felt was " Wealth fame come from thee And it is for thee to give or to withhold them....... A great poem with such beautiful messages to readers.

• Rookie - 758 Points Lamont Palmer (10/13/2014 12:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

There really is no issue, 'Acker'. Mandolyn's opinion refuted yours. You respect her highly. She's neutral, and on your list of unbiased critics. I am merely curious about what she liked about the poem and if she has an idea about its theme. Apparently she has an affinity for 'nonsense'. -LP

• Mike Acker (10/13/2014 11:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Please, don't leave Mandolyn. I just dropped my p00. Oh, sorry I dropped it on Palmer's feet. Sorry!

• Mandolyn ... (10/13/2014 11:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

hey you watch your mouth boy. naw, i just respect all forms of poetry. and i personally think some are much better than others- in how the author moves their words. it's all about the flow and ... more

• Rookie - 914 Points Professor Plum (10/12/2014 10:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You knew " instinctively" that Wallace Stevens was a good poet?You used your instincts on that one huh?LOL! You should know " instinctively" that you are a VERY bad Poet! Maybe the WORST ever! LOL!

• Rookie - 758 Points Lamont Palmer (10/12/2014 10:17:00 PM) Post reply

Um, 'Acker'. that's not a critique. Those are just dumb comments from YOU and your small mind. To go through a poem asking, 'what does this mean, and what does that mean', is silly. I'm not writing a newspaper article. I'm writing poetry. Poetry (at least the best of it) uses the language of SUGGESTION, not direct comment. I won't bother to give you a lesson on Symbolism, and symbolist poetry, as its obviously WAY over your head. Lets just say, unlike your 'work', none of those lines are trite or banal, and they all have meaning. You're so used to your own bland poems, you don't appreciate originality in others...especially someone you apparently have a serious, pathological grudge against. But I do appreciate you having to immediately go to Stevens to point out 'weaknesses' in my own. That's ultimately what I want. -LP

Date & Time: 10/12/2014 12: 53: 00 AM
    Remove this comment

Poem: 40382988 - 95 St. Thomas
    Member: Mandolyn...

Comment: absolutely fantastic writing.
    I will kind of bow, but not too much because my back kinda hurts.

And guess what, 'Acker'?She didn't need to rewrite it. LOL.

[Hata Bildir]