Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Mike Acker (8/10/2014 9:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Sunday Morning as a reply to a persona's question...

Replies for this message:
    • Mike Acker (8/11/2014 12:17:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Sunday morning, a time once reserved for choosing paths, reading solemn omens, and misinterpreting ancient thought, now just another morning for contemplating endless space. All signposts ... more

• Professor Plum (8/10/2014 8:40:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Tailor Bell is now my favorite poet. Boy, was I wrong.

• Jefferson Carter (8/10/2014 4:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hoggster, your idea for a poetry contest might work on a saner site, but with all the delusional pseudonyms and rabidly angry poets here, such a contest would ignite a true firestorm of ridicule and viciousness.

I try to be objective and somewhat temperate in my evaluation of others' work; however, how do you react gently to absolute crap? I can't do it and won't do it. Good poetry and a humble/respectful/educated attitude toward writing it are too important for me to dissemble.

• Jim Hogg (8/11/2014 1:39:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hey JC, .... .. I'm guessing that you were a bit gentler, more thoughtful, and tempered your criticism with praise when you were taking a class..! Plus, even when you are less sensitive than might b ... more

• Gulsher John (8/10/2014 12:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

At dawn i paint
    my night dreams, to fill
    the vacant sky, like
    a rainbow, when it tunes the
    the nature's harp.
    But i forget
    the hovering mist that eclipsed
    its glamour and charm;
    and my impaired vision
    is spared, to harrow
    my ANEMIC thoughts,
    and thus
    forsake tranquility.

p.s. still working on it and will love to have (from you all) some appropriate alterations/ corrections.

• F. J. Thomas (8/13/2014 10:16:00 AM) Post reply Stage

It is quite beautiful; I'm finding the flow to be a tad off simply b/c the lines seem separated inconsistently. But the meaning is beautiful none-the-less.

• Mike Acker (8/10/2014 2:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I like it. Some nits: " when it tunes the the nature's harp." s/b " when it tunes nature's harp" other than that I like the abstract nature of the poem....

• Jim Hogg (8/10/2014 12:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

My " set of suggestions" for a competition didn't exactly take off did it...! It was a last roll of the dice for me. Based on a futile hope that there might still be enough good human beings visiting this forum to rescue it by means of a poetry competition... but alas, most of the sensible people knew when to give it up as a bad job.. Long ago! ! . I'll also be deleting Tailor's poem. I should have known not to post it. Every time I've posted another member's poem in this forum the response has been the same: those who major on finding fault just cannot help themselves, mainly motivated of course by the juvenile need to elevate themselves above the target. .. Pathetic..

Apologies to Mike and the Prof.

• Jim Hogg (8/10/2014 3:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Prof..... I've always been up for reasonable " discussion" . I've posted hundreds of comments on here over the years which support that claim, and I'd hope there are people who still post h ... more

• Professor Plum (8/10/2014 2:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

PS, I just got off work, so I didn't see all the replies for the poem that was taken down. Maybe some were particularly negative?I didn't see that because it was already down when I logged on.

• Professor Plum (8/10/2014 2:20:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Jim, with all due respect, you're asking people to have a " discussion" about poetry, but if they disagree with your assessment of a poem (Tailor's) , then you immediately dismiss the indivi ... more

• Jim Hogg (8/10/2014 3:22:00 AM) Post reply Stage

PS... Pseudonyms are fine for having fun.. I've used many myself in here.. But when it comes to attacking the work of others I think they allow the writer to switch off their mental gatekeeper/filter, and to misrepresent/undermine their humanity.... and besides, it makes the real person behind look weak..

• Mike Acker (8/9/2014 11:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

some meat for the rabid dogs.... The Midnight Thief as reply

• F. J. Thomas (8/13/2014 1:18:00 PM) Post reply Stage

A solemn piece this is: ( Still, it is how many feel; wanting to start over in a place other than this world; closing the darkness that engulfs....I wish them a happier life here

• Mike Acker (8/9/2014 11:16:00 AM) Post reply Stage

The Midnight Thief Like a midnight thief, he waits for darkness to permeate until, all sounds had evaporated under the grey moon. Joyful, almost gleeful, he eyes the iron's electrical co ... more

• ... Dog God 8hate (8/8/2014 6:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 9 replies Stage

Caldron of Gold

who can fathom deceit with no sin
    if they've known naught, but a din?
    Can one see beyond the pious spew
    and glean that sacred, no evil view?

i've fallen and fallen - an inestimable
    descent. Too far down to abominable
    extent...

torn... wracked... ravaged by
    cabalistic gods too close to see
    too far in an inexplicable degree

Yet, anagogic prominence
    via eminent indigence
    the down/up route,
    an arcane decree
    an excellent end - for me!

'$$$'
    (___) - - caldron of gold

dg8

• Mike Acker (8/8/2014 4:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Jim, I have had the same thing happen to me.

All the nonsense that goes on here is just noise. At the end of the day it is about the ability to write and whether a poet is improving or not(whatever that means) . For me it has NEVER been personal, but if someone attempts to declare themselves the big fish here, then their poetry had better measure up to the claim.

At the risk of repeating myself, on a scale of 1 to 10(with 10 representing, say, Wallace Stevens' poetry) , I would categorize myself as a 3-5(improving) with some poems reaching a 6 or even a 7(not many) . For someone who has only been reading and writing poetry since April/May 2012, I think 3-4 is damn good!

My judgement of my poetry is based on my instincts, which I trust very much.

• Mike Acker (8/9/2014 10:49:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I will rephrase the last statement above. My judgement of my poetry is based on my instincts, along with input from trusted critiques. The biggest turn-off to a reader is when they sense that the ... more

• Jim Hogg (8/9/2014 6:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Mike... you've just declared yourself a " big fish" with that 7 rating for some of your poems...! ! I think maybe it's time for you and the other big fish (Lamont, JC, Delilah, DogGodH, the ... more

• Mike Acker (8/8/2014 5:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I was going to say: " The one entitled Up Your @$$! " Then I decided that that would be too rude to say, even if it is to an alias.

• Professor Plum (8/8/2014 4:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Mike, which poem do you consider a " ... more

• Alexander Rizzo (8/8/2014 5:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

i'm gonna tick my neck out, though honestly, not that far and say the prell poem, despite the quibbling over a few lines, is the freshest poem on this page, followed by, a wayyyyyyyy distant second, mr ackers 'proem'...just sayin

• Frank Ovid (8/8/2014 9:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I think Dog's poem about his sleeping friends is the best. A better question is who's poem is better, Snow's or Acker's?Let the two up and comers go at it. They're both on Plum's Best Of List. I'm goi ... more

[Hata Bildir]