• Gulsher John (8/3/2014 5:58:00 AM) Post reply Stage

FORUM: Poetics and Poetry Discussion | Delete this message

Like shark's frenzy,
    my hunting instincts
    go WILD; when
    see around
    BEAUTIES
    hot and mild.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (8/2/2014 4:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Kalidasa is the greatest poet of Sanskrit Language and his great poetries are literary treasure where we can find germs only. The wonderful characters he made in his poems is superior to any human being and they are also the mortal beings. His greatest contribution is they are not religious in character and having such human emotions of love, sympathy, ruling craze, etc. except Kumarasambhava. Reading any of the following texts of Kalidasa,1.Abhijnanashakunthala, Vikramorvasheeyam, Raghuvamsa, Malavikagnimitram, Meghadoota, are exemplary and since they are the classics of beautiful narration of events more time and listening capacity is essential to understand the meanings in detail since the stories in the texts have supposedly created about 4th or 5th centuries A.D and Kalidasa's correct history is still continues as a myth. However it is known that He was one among the nine jewels the very talented intellectuals of the king Vikramaditya of Ujjainy a princely state of the time. However if gets a chance to read the classics of Kalidasa it will be a beautiful experience to any poem lovers of the world I think.

Replies for this message:
    • Peter Stavropoulos (8/2/2014 11:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Thanks Gangadharan. Looking forward to reading him. [Kalidasa No man on earth deserves to taste her beauty, Her blameless loveliness and worth, Unless he has fulfilled man's perfect duty— A ... more

• Mike Acker (8/1/2014 8:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Oriental Man(revised) as reply......

• Mike Acker (8/2/2014 11:51:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Oriental Man The monotony of these mountains seems to block in the green of this landscape, whose bored shores, still yearning for the touch of totalitarian tsunamis of yesteryear, accept ... more

• Alexander Rizzo (8/1/2014 6:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

discussing poetry civilly is what this site is about, my good men

• Professor Plum (8/1/2014 11:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Jeff, I meant the post as a compliment. Do you expect me to say the poem is a " great piece of literature" ?I mean, we're not exactly plumbing the depths of the human soul now are we (any of us) ?Okay, maybe it's somewhere in between, sorry. Once someone called you the Billy Collins of the west coast, and I think that's pretty accurate. The slight difference is, Collins has quite a bit of atmosphere in his poems. Your choice to use that " plain style" doesn't lend itself to much atmosphere at all. It's like a guy at work at the water cooler telling you a story about what happened last night. It's funny and very interesting, but I wouldn't call it a " great poem" .

God! Did I just question the great JC?Oh, sh*t.

• Jefferson Carter (8/1/2014 6:17:00 PM) Post reply Stage

No problemo, Prof. I can take it! I like your guy at the water cooler analogy. JC

• Alexander Rizzo (8/1/2014 6:03:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i'd say the good prof has more complexity in his work than Collins, but Collins has more rhythm, more richness. 'rich' is not a word you would use to describe carters work. mr carter's plain style is ... more

• Lamont Palmer (8/1/2014 1:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

'To deal only in punning wit indicates an essential falsehood in the poet’s view of his art, as though language were only interesting when it is defective, never when it is a tool of discovery. It is ... more

• James Timothy Jarrett (8/1/2014 10:25:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I told you that I would fight nice JC. I have found in my travels that poets and writers seem to be the only people who can transcend the normal boundaries in life. Instead of politics or party we speak the common language of the soul.Whether we stop and listen, in the end, is up to us. This is pretty much a public forum apology to JC for all the times I went out of my way to be as rude and abusive towards him as I could and imply that none of his work had merit. Enough said.

• James Timothy Jarrett (8/1/2014 10:11:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Clang association: " In psychology and psychiatry, clanging is a form of speech pattern where thinking is driven by word sounds. For example, rhyming or alliteration may lead to the appearance of logical connections where none in fact exists. This, just one manifestation amongst a more general spectrum of thought disorders, is associated with the irregular thinking apparent in psychotic mental illnesses, e.g schizophrenia. " Ever wonder what is wrong with poets?Really, think about it....

• Tim Dolan (8/1/2014 3:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Reason! withdraw your autonomous eudonism,
    ( belief settles )
    dance on narrow spires,
    conspired by the endless orgasm of sunrise

Hold HEART
    purpose glimmers as the poker face ____________.
    cradle not that will not live
    forgive misery and the long lone line that shall lead away

Keep climbers at bay with flight
    drone sun on cold concrete,
    price obscures worth, not enough
    passion remains. and I fight

abide my resolution
    will not return, constituted
    tempt not, kindness, persistence! and fear
    I here, am PRESENT

Inertia bow please
    chance
    and hope and the beating of drums

if there is more
    I will find it in you

• Gulsher John (8/1/2014 12:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

The phantasms
    of my filthy fancies
    breeding,
    an exquisite boredom; and
    this monotony,
    when tunes,
    swabs all the vivacities
    and
    screws up my art.

• Professor Plum (8/1/2014 12:24:00 PM) Post reply Stage

This poem is growing on me. Creepy, that thing about " swabbing something" . I like it.

[Hata Bildir]