Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/8/2014 3:46:00 AM) Post reply

I read the poem of Rober frost " Asking for roses" and the great poet have done a wonderful imagination and story in the poem. So I liked it very much which I suggest my friends to have a read.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/8/2014 2:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Poetry has no death. As long as languages and people there poetry will be there I believe.

Replies for this message:
  • Pranab K Chakraborty Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/7/2014 11:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'Death of poetry" virtually a blunt term to apply certain frustration of not getting proper essence from the art. And this standard is imposed by the person who enjoys art by heart. One side of recognition. But, on the other hand, from the realistic point of view, choices should be transformed in course of time. Poetry does not die, want to say, dies our brain-cell to appreciate the changing and various shape of art which to receive i am not yet able by heart. Perhaps, death of poetry, this specific term emerges from this dying criteria of our physical incapability to consume art.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/7/2014 10:57:00 PM) Post reply

There are great opportunities to readers to read world famous poems of great poets in this column. I think that poems of other languages in its translations in English language is also to be made available to entertain and make the world of readers in such a large spectrum.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 7:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Jim sez, " With this emphasis on plain speech and disregard-or at least, apathy- towards traditional devices, are we losing the parts of poetry that most resonate with most people?Personally, I think we are. Speaking in general, of course. There's probably something about the psyche that fundamentally soaks up and is nourished on rhythmic structures, which is why I don't think rhyme and stanza will ever will ever go out of fashion..." Not sure what Jim means by " stanza" in this context, but his argument is the same one that Dana Gioia uses in his many screeds against the plain style AND the experimental verse pouring out of MFA programs. The " people" don't read or buy poetry as much as they used to for numerous reasons, other forms of entertainment, the professionalizing of the art, etc. But the dearth of rhyme isn't causing a " death' of poetry. Billy Collins is tremendously popular, and his work is pretty straight-forward, some would say simplistic, free verse. Just try reading the poetry of such popular earlier rhyming folk-poets as Edgar Guest and you'll see what CRAP many people found inspiring. Look through the poems published in magazines during the early 20th-century; you'll be aghast at the abysmal garbage the " people" enjoyed. Most poetry is bad, whether it's free verse or formal.

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/8/2014 12:34:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Plum, I get what you are saying. I've been moved many times by poems that I knew intellectually were not good poems, just as I've been touched by sappy movies, sentimental scenes in TV shows and the l ... more

• Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 9:41:00 PM) Post reply

I love Collins. Maybe he isn't a good poet by some standards, but I think he is. I remember reading one of his poems about an artist who wears a candle hat (can't remember the name of it) and I found ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 8:27:00 PM) Post reply

Because Collin's is popular that means poetry is thriving?You must be hitting the tequila very hard this evening, or you're trying to be funny. I equate Collin's 'impact' on serious poetry with Maya A ... more

• Adam M. Snow Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 5:39:00 PM) Post reply

Smoke and Mirrors
    Written by Adam M. Snow

A charade of innocent - my disguise;
    an illusion brought on by sorrow
    - the dogma by which death cohere,
    the enigma of which I am,
    and all I am is smoke and mirrors,
    hiding the truth behind a mask.
    A cloak of my false being
    - a disguise.
    Hiding my emotions - my ethereal pain,
    the reflection of a dying man.
    Forever living in silence,
    and there forever remains the change
    - the forbidding lies,
    only I know the truth.
    A magician, an act of smoke and mirrors
    - entertaining only you.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 11:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

JC, Palmer, Jim...
    Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.
    (Rudyard Kipling) .
    since yesterday, PHers enjoying the volleys of JC, Palmer and Jim, as they are focusing on the versification/ prosody: let me incense this Areopagus with this statement/ question: What effect does the use of diction have in this particular text?poetry or prose. JC, can we term it poetic/ prosaic diction?Well, we have seen so much fine dictions and phrases in old poetry that almost became clich├ęs now (stale) and surely lost its charm but on the other hand modern colloquies/ plain / vulgar /jargon expressions(JC's and few others are exception) are FAR from to replace them?(am i right?No, ok,) And will such colloquies(slang, informal, plain diction) be synced in our verse(poetry) ?
    I'm a bit old school, s associate in this regard, I see JCs poems r bit plain against Palmer's but more fresh and vibrant. It doesn't mean that Palmer writes badly, no, he has his own style.I think (to what extent it is right r wrong?) that poetry or verse must be composed in diction that is rhythmic and refined) and must not a colloquial expression that can not influence the readers... (caz most of us can not handle it)
    but i m NOT advocating the Latinate or Anglo-Saxon nor too much elevated and elaborate diction in our poetry. And TS Eliot says, For last year's words belong to last year's language And next year's words await another voice.

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 4:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'd also like to put in a vote for content. Not that thoughtfulness or profound tinsight is absolutely necessary, but it's certainly a powerful ingredient to the mix, in the right hands. There used to ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 4:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

John, I have to be honest, I'm not an admirer of your poetry, which I find to be mostly trite and larded with high school level rambling and strange grammatical errors. But, as I told Jim, the poetry ... more

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) Rookie - 1st Stage (9/7/2014 1:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hiya, GJ. I suppose that missteps in diction are some of the most noticeable problems with amateur poetry, dipping our pens in ancient inks for worn out phrasings and musty old thees and thous. There' ... more

• Mohammad Skati Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/7/2014 10:06:00 AM) Post reply

I read some pages about using of metaphors and similes here and there. I found that if we support our poems with metaphors and similes, then we give them strength anytime.

• Pranab K Chakraborty Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/7/2014 6:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Actually it begins with our expectation. Poetry is that which we can't define but what we try that is certainly making a easy step to attain poetry. Sometimes a long and distant phone-call other side of the receiver touches such differently, think poetry is there. Is that for prosody, diction, words...don't know, many times think it alone when nothing to gaze but eyes not shut....so many this and that, so many should be and should have to be avoided listening from those beginning days....but think books are simply to make a scholar, simply to give someone to make authority who will tell the last word about. But poet will have to write strictly that way which their spirit permits. The spirit of expression the spirit of choosing words the spirit of grabbing form which they feel it the right way to expose. It's generally a way of living for poetry, also another is there, which needs the poem to make a commodity to please number of readers for his market success, also another is there who always try to follow the strictly academic route to live after death in poetic history, and finally a poet should move his own way guided by his/her inerself.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/6/2014 8:20:00 PM) Post reply

Here's Lamont the Lame again: " JC, you rather remind me of an insane person in a mental hospital trying to convince someone that a table is a chair. Listen carefully: if you break The Great Gatsby up into lines, all you'll have is, a NOVEL broken up into lines. Nothing more. You will not have a poem, or verse, or even prose-poetry. Your seriously tortured definitions and parsings don't change that. You are in a very small minority in your opinion. If even Plum, or Jim agreed with you, they would've called the pigeon poem GREAT, like you did, and not dismissed it as a short story."

Lamont, your stale dictionary definitions are not very convincing (notice Jim's earlier dictionary definition of prosaic as being prose-like...duhhhh.) My scientist son asked me why I even get into these petty discussions. I answered because you can't have an intelligent or useful discussion unless the terms of the argument are clearly defined.

If there is something intrinsically novelistic about " GG, " what is it? What ineffable novelistic quality does it keep if it's broken into lines? Lamont, you don't know and you can't say. And what do you have against short stories?Historically, many great works of poetic verse have been narratives, sharing with the short story the structure and content of a story. Is that what you're bitching about when you diss a poem as a short story?Or are you simply, as always, parroting your dislike for the plain style?You remind me of Big Nurse in a mental asylum, all starched and rigid, going mindlessly about her duties, keeping the inmates in line.

[Hata Bildir]