Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 2:16:00 PM) Post reply

Mark, Sandra how far back?

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 2:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mark, if I follow you, this theory (which I didn't know of) is similar to the art theory dreamed up at Goldsmiths' College in London - that the artist makes something which he knows less about than the spectator - a theory which could cover anything from divine inspiration to not knowing what the hell you're up to! And of course, there's a grain of truth there, between intention and interpretation.
    But that doesn't answer the straight question, which was first addressed to ulrike, but which I posit as a general question? What's your answer in your own experience?

Replies for this message:
    • long gone (4/10/2005 2:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think that it is a little bit of both, Michael. We are, initially, our own readers and critics. We assess what we write (excluding 'automatic writing' or 'spontaneous combustion'as it may be known) ... more

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 1:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ulrike, your clear response raises a very elementary question which seems almost silly to ask: do you/we give any regard to the reader of a poem while we write it? Is there any sort of division between 'expressers' and 'communicators'? Does sincerity cover both aspects? As a lifetime journalist, I've always felt obliged to consider the reader, while remaining true to myself. So it's never raised itself as a question for me. But now it has!

• Ulrike Gerbig (4/10/2005 10:24:00 PM) Post reply

good morning! i went to bed last night having to work this morning...this is why i did not answer... but anyway, although interested in theories of all kind i am not a big friend of general sta ... more

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 12:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Dr Nehrlich,
    For a poet like yourself, rated higher than TSEliot, Auden, Emerson and Alexander Pope, by visitors to this site, it seems to me that calling me a 'rat' in the comment box to my poem 'Self-search' is, how shall I put it, somewhat metaphorically loose in relation to a critique of that poem, for one so highly regarded?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/10/2005 5:12:00 PM) Post reply

Michael, you know very well that the rat comment was not aimed at you. It amazes me how a man of your age and intelligence would deliberately misunderstand something as simple as this. I have not t ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • mother baxter (4/10/2005 9:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

by the holy jumping camels, what is this a battle ground are you people mad
    cairo is never like this, have a cup of tea please, calm yourselves down

• kenneth william snow (4/10/2005 8:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Cease Fire! !

We are adults...we have free will...will to create beauty...or will to foster hate...WAKE UP! !

You call yourself poets...are you illuminating for the well-being of mankind or for the satisfaction of self? Be humbled good sirs...the day fast approaches when we each have an audience of one...Let's see your hate shine then...Poet

your humble servant
    kenneth

• kenneth william snow (4/10/2005 9:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

We all need to re learn the job description of Poet...when we allow the notions of nobodys to affect vision and mission we fail and surrender our place amongst the angels; losing primary function as g ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/10/2005 9:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sir: Do not misuse the word Poet and waste it on those who would not know how to write a poem. H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/10/2005 8:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Linda, please use the secure channel to communicate.We do not need the stench.
    Soon, there will be a nice surprise and we can come back out in the open.
    so just have patience.
    Look at their ratings and have a laugh.And read their 'English' and have another laugh.
    H

• Poetry Hound (4/10/2005 9:17:00 AM) Post reply

'Yes Linda, please use the secure channel. Of course, I could have told you that by secure channel myself. But I did it out in the open to make people think you're on my side when in fact you are secu ... more

• Allan James Saywell (4/10/2005 8:32:00 AM) Post reply

Dont worry poets, soon you will have a Australian pope, pope james we'll
    all have a sherry together, with king england, i'll bless him with the point of his sword, right up his pudding, have a good night

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/10/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply

Linda, you are a POET. Please leave these people to their own devices.
    You are so far above them, not only because they are unable to produce anything of value but for other, self-explanatory reasons as well.
    It is probably wise to ignore them although I do admire the spirit that you are showing, it signals so much superior intelligence that it must be painful to them.

Just have a look, if you want to have some fun, at the ratings in the stst section.

Best wishes,
    Herbert
    P.S.: I will stand firm and I can assure you right now that these people will not be on P/H in a very short time.

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 7:39:00 AM) Post reply

PH, this Rather Ancient Brit has offered an opinion on the Royal Dysfunctional Family's celebration ode, on the 'Writing' site...

[Hata Bildir]