Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Joellyn Moroney (11/23/2004 1:20:00 PM) Post reply

I'm doing a senior project on Benjamin Britten's 'A Charm of Lullabies' that draws from the poetry of William Blake, Thomas Randolph, Robert Burns, Robert Greene, and John Philip....

being a music major-i have some idea of poetry, alas I would welcome anyone that could help me with these specific authors-any takers? ? ?

Sincerely,
    Stella

• Duane Harris (11/23/2004 1:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

has anyone seen the movie Sylvia, about Sylvia Plath. Gwyneth Paltrow stars as Sylvia. I thought it was gret and that Ms. Paltrow did a wonderful job.

Replies for this message:
    • Maria Kamy Abdool (1/24/2005 4:57:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, it was indeed a wonderful movie. Honestly, I had no idea it was about Sylvia Platt until I actually saw the movie, but it was splendid.

• Cathy Jackson (1/4/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, I did see the movie, and it was very moving - some of her poetry is very hard to read, not that it deals so much with death, but that it seems incoherent much of the time (drugs perhaps) , some o ... more

• Suzanne Hege (12/9/2004 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

I agree. I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy it, being a long time Plath fan. However, I was extremely impressed at the passion with which Paltrow played her role.

• C M (11/28/2004 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It was really well done, however, I thou ... more

• Ali Gorcak (11/12/2004 4:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I need help in understanding THE FORSAKEN by Duncan Campbell Scott - can anybody help me please

• K.C. Clarke (11/11/2004 12:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I just got back from an Anselm Hollo and Ron Padgett reading. Amazing. Smart. Funny. Darn good poetry.

On another note, check out http: //www.reverse1.com

It's the webpage for a poetry (and/with music project) I've been working on. Mark Strand, Li-Young Lee, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Lou Reed (Velvet Underground) are all featured as are 10 other poets and songwriters.

Hope you enjoy or are intrigued.

KC

• Frederick Kesner (11/26/2004 5:19:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks!

• Sandy Mcfadyean (11/16/2004 10:57:00 AM) Post reply

Was on the site today, looked excellent. Some of the writing in it was fantastic. Spent a good wee while on it. Particularly liked the link to The Chicago Poetry Centre... They had a cracking piece on ... more

• David Keig (10/12/2004 8:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

hi all

just discovered poemhunter this morning and am exploring it now

i live in sydney which is baking in 32 degree heat at the moment....and it is only just the start of spring here

a question that i have been thinking about is 'where does poetry stop and song writing begin? '

would welcome any comments, example, thoughts etc

david

• Stephen O Hanlon (3/20/2005 8:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi David, in answer to your question, and I feel qualified to answer this as I have co-written over 30 songs over the years, here is your answer. I believe Poetry stops when you add music to it!

• Sarika Singh (1/27/2005 10:05:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, I just discovered this site yesterday. That's a very good question. I know that I remember poems that are sound-intensive very easily, whereas I cannot recall ones that are free verse and lack ... more

• glen still (1/13/2005 7:40:00 PM) Post reply

In the mind of the writer!

• Frederick Kesner (11/26/2004 5:26:00 PM) Post reply

Well as far as I know the 'song' is a ty ... more

• Sandy Mcfadyean (11/15/2004 11:58:00 AM) Post reply

I'm not entirely sure! I know that in my ... more

• Derek R. Audette (10/23/2004 6:40:00 AM) Post reply

I don't have an answer to your question. ... more

• Jessica Lynn Hepner (6/24/2004 4:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yesterday the writing world lost one of its best Matty Stepanek a young poet who auffered from a very rare disease, passed away. He will be greatly missed. For being such a young man, he had the knowledge and wisdom of a 60 year old. His mission in life, was to pass the words, Give Peace A Chance. God Bless Matty, and my deepest sympathy for his family and friends, and for the world.
    Check out his web page at http: //mattieonline.com/index.htm.
    Thanks,
    Jessica Hepner

• Kay Devenish (11/20/2004 5:57:00 AM) Post reply

Very sorry to read this Jessica, it is kind of you to share this information.Deepest sympathy to Matty's family, I will check out his web page, definately, thank you. Sincerely from kay Devenish

• Luigi Coppola (6/19/2004 4:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hello All,

Just to get the ball rolling, I've pasted below the top poem at the moment here at PoemHunter. What do people think about it?

Where the Sidewalk Ends
    by Shel Silverstein

There is a place where the sidewalk ends
    And before the street begins,
    And there the grass grows soft and white,
    And there the sun burns crimson bright,
    And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
    To cool in the peppermint wind.

Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
    And the dark street winds and bends.
    Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
    We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
    And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
    To the place where the sidewalk ends.

Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
    And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
    For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
    The place where the sidewalk ends.

IMO, the predominantly anapestic metre, along with the rhyme scheme, create a wonderful pace. The images tread near to the cliché and obvious (crimson bright, streets wind and bend) , but can also be very vivid and original (peppermint wind, asphalt flowers) . Silverstein's children’s poetry background might belittle this poem to the sidelines, but I think it's quite effective. The images of hop-scotch and childhood wisdom are charming and mysterious; made me reread the poem – an achievement in of itself…

Anyone agree (or more interestingly, disagree? !)

Best,

Luigi

[Hata Bildir]