Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Robert Rorabeck (3/16/2005 1:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey. Lenchen Elf directed me here too, so please blame her if I say something when I don't really have anything to say. As to general comments on poemhunter, I think the site is great. It's amazing how many people take the time to actually read your poetry and it's nice to have a forum where your work is put alongside better poets (then you can steal their pictures and make yourself look famous!) I've had /almost/ my fair share of criticism (a little more might be due) , but there are so many generous, nice, and intelligent people here to converse with who appreciate and understand /some of/ what you're trying to do with your work/ Herbert ABABAB/- I also have to say that I find the site extremely addictive /spoon&flame/ and have increased my poetry output just so I can swing as often as I like /to annoy Poetry Hound/ (sorry 'bout that- sorry if I put on everything I write, but/ like the 80s song/ its my prerogative) . Concerning criticism and number rankings, I think it's mostly important to try and maintain your own opinion of your work and not let others persuade your mind otherwise (use the force!) - and just keep writing and trying to write well, however that comes across to you/ if it comes at all/ (is a good poem never written better than a bad poem written? /shared?) - There are many very talented writers here showing off and looking pretty- and some not so good writers to be sure trying to be beautiful (don't look at me when I say that) - What we all really want is to be musicians, I think/ J.C. & J.W./-but we're all still living in our middle-class homes/skulls/ I really appreciate all the stats and such which poemhunter provides- The top 500 hundred is also great (if meaningless- Silverstein before Bukowski not to mention ginsberg and Corso, come on! -but if any of us thinks we deserve to be on there it's just our erected egos- got to get published first/and die from massive head trauma/bullfight/shotgun/oven) and the overall database of published poets is an excellent, ready source, when you don't have anything else to read- What might be an interesting addition to poemhunter would be an amateur poet 500 so I could see Rich Hanson, Lenchen Elf, tiffany etters, Adrienne Barnathan, Saywell, and Sonya Broderick /Neddy too/in the nude/ get their well deserved recognition.

Farewell and adieu my fair spanish ladies- farewell and adieu my ladies of spain

Sincerely,

R

Replies for this message:
  • Jeffrey Spahr-Summers (3/15/2005 6:58:00 PM) Post reply

As for me...

The ranking arena doesn't mean a thing, who am I to judge others innermost expression? No matter how we mold our message, tripe or treasure, there always is and always will be some fool ready to tear it down. It is the human condition. Call it envy or arrogance, it is the same animal! Different people interpret poems differently!

As for the comments arena...

Browsing through my own poems on this site, I see excessive extremes at both ends of the spectrum. I find the comments humorous, at the very least curious as a rule, they certainly don't sway my own opinion, and I am often puzzled by their intent anyway! People refrain from comment unless they are passionately driven to it, so we catch them either way. Status quo!

I do find the hits of certain interest. They may not neccessarily reflect the number of people who visit, but they do reflect interest. Whether this interest is truly appreciation or not, is irrelevant. It is exposure!

And as for the poetry terrorists who skunk about, attacking our poems seconds after being loaded on the site, I take their animosity as a huge compliment!

And the Top 500...

Get real!

• Rich Hanson (3/15/2005 5:02:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I too would be more comfortable without the numerical rating system. Why not just give our reaction to a poem, suggestions for improvement or praise or criticism in the 'comments' section. If the numerical rating system is retained, have a record of the rater next to the numerical rating. This will eliminate the immature 'hit and run' raters and also embarrass those (Yes, I'm sure there are a few of them) who pump up the ratings of their own poems. This is a wonderful site; finding it has got me writing again after about a 10 year layoff. Now, if there was the same kind of site for short stories.
    This is off topic, but has anyone donated to this site? I'm very leary of going the PayPal route and giving out my credit card number, but if others of you have used it with no repercusions, it might be alright. Let me know your own experiences on this, will you please?

• Ulrike Gerbig (3/16/2005 2:05:00 AM) Post reply

for short stories try abc.tales.com (not sure if the spelling is correct) : there you can post short stories and get reactions, too. ulrike

• Robert Rorabeck (3/16/2005 12:52:00 AM) Post reply

i use paypal too (avid ebay seller/ buyer) and it works fine

• Jackson Kilroy (3/15/2005 5:38:00 PM) Post reply

I use Paypal quite frequently. It is a secure site. Proceed without worry.

• Michael Shepherd (3/15/2005 4:42:00 PM) Post reply

One theme which does intrigue me is whether on-screen poetry is developing its own individual form. I only wrote sonnets before appearing on this site; they look too 'heavy' here unless I break them up into three quatrains and a couplet - visually. Even then they can be 'heavy'.
    It seems rather like back to the 1920s and even back to the 1890s - the visual mise-en-page often counting for more than 'poetic' values; sight-bites!
    Also the short lines that go with rock lyrics seem to be influencing most of ous young poets - again, becoming 'visual' on the page to the neglect of poetic music. I myself have slid very quickly into a prpedominantly 'prose' style - except for the comic poems, which maintain poetic values I've noticed! Intriguing.

• Michael Shepherd (3/15/2005 2:13:00 PM) Post reply

I've suggested to Emilie T. of poemhunter that a straight Like/Don't like box would be better than the present system which is open to abuse (and flattery!) . Public response is interesting if not significant? Or would you be happier without any system?
    As for the 'top 500'poets, it can't just be number of hits - note some high on the list with only a few, even one, poem. That would mean they were the most sought! though the top 500 poems probably work on the number of hits.
    It would be good to have a short statement from PH to head these lists? And even better to have 'classical' and contemporary poets separate. I think people new to poetry would gain from this -i.e. catching up on poetry of the past, or discovering poetry of the present. It's a wonderful idea for a site and enterprising, but a little more liaison would be good.

• Lenchen Elf (3/15/2005 10:07:00 AM) Post reply

I would agree that this particular element of Poem Hunter is underused, too often misunderstandings arise which could be discussed rationally amongst all those who wish to enjoy and participate in this site.
    A poem is sometimes a thought expressed in isolation to it's authors references/intentions...so inevitably brooks a varied response from the reader, filtering it through their own personal experience and attaching a subjective meaning.
    Also too many misunderstandings have arisen as the result of a rating sys which really has no place on a site for expressive writing.
    Yes, I believe open debate and exchange of opinion here would prove invaluable, just a thought.
    All the best L

• Michael Witkowski (3/15/2005 10:01:00 AM) Post reply

I agree with Ulrike and Peter. More exchange - or any meaningful- public exchange of thoughts and opinions in the forum would do this site much good- it would enliven it in a positive way. Personally i would like to know the reasons readers give us more points or less - even though we may feel flattered sometimes. The poem pages -though they máy seem public- are mostly intimately personal and hit the author's inner core.

• Peter A. Crowther (3/15/2005 9:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I agree with Ulrike. It would be better if we could use this forum for discussions, even arguments, and keep the main page for just poems. I personally am sick of seeing all this childish squabbling on the main site. As for ratings, who cares? I would only take notice of signed comments. Anonymous ratings are meaningless.

• Ulrike Gerbig (3/15/2005 10:00:00 AM) Post reply

thanks, peter, for voicing your thoughts and for supporting me! ulrike

• Paul Judges (3/14/2005 7:09:00 AM) Post reply

Please give my new collection a try:

a little book of stereotype and prejudice by Paul Judges

http: //store.pabd.com/pjudges2

• Michael Lacostales (3/13/2005 7:26:00 AM) Post reply

Hi guys...could anyone tell me how to make an effective conceit in poetry?
    I've been trying to do poetry ala George Herbert but I just can't seem to figure out how to make conceits...

[Hata Bildir]