Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (4/16/2005 4:39:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Check out the poems of Richard George here on poemhunter He posted two nice ones today.

• Rookie Linda Preston (4/16/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply

I've been of the opinion lately that a few of Larkin's poem's (i.e. Nothing to Be Said' has similar themes to Under Milkwood) speak to Dylan Thomas' work - though I haven't read he was influenced by his work.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (4/16/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

everytime i write a poem, a wart seems to grow in the comment section
    and it is a bad wart bad poetry, but i suppose we do have people with really tiny brains in the world, who would actually read it, the author of the wartish poetry is a very sick person he doesn't know this because he is not thinking that clearly at the moment, when i saw it i wasn't surprised or amazed
    not even amused, fans sometimes become erratic so i must live with it

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Linda Preston (4/16/2005 3:58:00 PM) Post reply

Dylan Thomas' reported last words - 'After 39 years, this is all I've done' It looks like there isn't much hope for the rest of us!

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (4/16/2005 2:20:00 PM) Post reply

John Ciardi the poet is very certain that for him the personality of the poet 'is a created thing. It is not in the life of the man; it is nowhere but in his poems.'

• Rookie Linda Preston (4/16/2005 10:46:00 AM) Post reply

Yeah, Mark. I agree that what we read about a writer's life does colour our opinion of him/her. If you read a poem once you've read what was going on his/her life at the time it was written, it immediately alters the meaning of the poem. Sometimes, I think it's almost better to know nothing about them and let the poem speak for itself. On another point there was something else that Larkin said too that amused me, about doing poetry readings. He avoided them like the plague and said 'he didn't want to go around pretending to be me'. Interesting. Larkin did turn down the role of 'Laureate' but he was very
    ill around that time.

• Rookie ***** ***** (4/16/2005 10:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I suppose, considering the times, that Shakespeare had the odd dalliance with a young boy or girl.. the times dictated the terms.

It is difficult to separate the biography from the work once the artist's personality is exposed, unfortunately. Roman Polanski's work was (as far as I know) banned in the US because of his extra-curricular pursuits... hence preventing any critique of a good body of creative work.

It is an interesting question - if work has merit and is written by someone with questionable morals... should the work be judged independently? I believe it should and in fact, banning anything because of the work itself or the artist's questionable CV seems to titillate an audience's interest - perhaps it is more beneficial to be a bad boy or girl and get the information out there.. then one's work is guaranteed to succeed ;)

• Rookie ***** ***** (4/16/2005 10:31:00 AM) Post reply

I do believe that poets take word photographs of events and emotions for others to relate to later. If a person can read a poem and say: 'hey, yeah, I know what that feels like, I can relate to that', then a poem is worth every word.

I also don't think obscurity does a poet or a reader any favours whatsoever. Conceptual poetry that only makes sense to the poet him/herself is of little value in the greater scheme, IMHO.

• Rookie Linda Preston (4/16/2005 9:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I've found an interesting quote from Philip Larkin taken from an interview with the Paris Review. He was asked why did he write poetry? ' The short answer is you write because you have to. If you rationalize it, it seems as if you've seen this sight, felt this feeling, had this vision, and have got to find a combination of words that will preserve it by setting it off in other people. The duty is to the original experience. It doesn't feel like self-expression, though it may look like it. As for whom you write, well you write for everybody. Or anybody who will listen.'
    I can see where he coming from. Anyone else any thoughts?

• Rookie Poetry Hound (4/16/2005 1:18:00 PM) Post reply

I like Larkin's poetry, but I don't know about this quote. When he says, 'It doesn't feel like self-expression, ' I feel like he's either fooling the interviewer or fooling himself. Of COURSE it's sel ... more

• Rookie Linda Preston (4/16/2005 7:38:00 AM) Post reply

allan, sorry to hear how you feel about the human race as a whole. Don't think it's a good idea to generalize though. Good luck with your writing.

[Hata Bildir]