Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/20/2005 3:49:00 PM) Post reply

Some of my laughs on this site are triggered by the realisation that many of us write poems primarily for ourselves, not for others, only to find ourselves at the receiving end of critiques by those others.
    There are some writers here whose writing doesn't get many hits because of their style of poetry, or rather their way of expressing themselves. I can think of one writer whose poetry I usually do not understand. Yet others seem to have no trouble and dish out high praise. Could it be that they have no more clue than I but figure it is from this special poet and the words sound good or sinister or pregnant with meaning, so it must be good.Brilliant. Fantastic.Wow.
    I wrote a poem some time ago that was put together as a joke, a bunch of expressions taken from hypnosis practice and the poem itself meant absolutely nothing.
    Yet it received very high praise by ALL.
    Must be a selectional restriction violation.
    Finally, critique coming from one who does not even write poetry reminds me of the spinster who tells the young mother how to raise her child.

• Michael Shepherd (3/20/2005 3:20:00 PM) Post reply

One issue which alas gets elbowed out of this discussion is what perhaps the ratings system was intended to do wholly or partially- to register genuine popularity. Shel Silverstein didn't get to the top of the list by Emerson, Walt(Whitman) and TSEliot voting him there?

• Stephen O Hanlon (3/20/2005 8:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Poets are the worst critics in the world! I myself don't feel qualified to criticize someone else's work. You either like something or you don't. People have this idea that poetry should be written a certain way and apply rules to how it should be written. Who makes the rules? And isn't it our job to stretch and bend them? Don't we all have the same goal in mind? To feed the imagination! To convey our innermost thoughts to paper! And we do this so that people will read and maybe find some comfort in what we are trying to say.

I hate to see people argue about who is better or who has more manners or who insulted who, but I must admit a little amusement at some of the comments posted here. You've just gotta laugh folks! I don't even know what a Stanza is! Now thats funny! ! !

Replies for this message:
  • Lenchen Elf (3/20/2005 6:56:00 AM) Post reply

Thank you H, as I have commented before, it was the illogical use of a rating system as a 'weapon' that troubled me, made apparent by the anoymous messages to me that would follow such repeated action.
    Akin to a child saying, 'I'm going to give you one of my ten oranges and then taunt you about it while hiding' ....Oh Right....?
    It makes you wonder about the state of mind of some people: -)

• Michael Shepherd (3/20/2005 6:44:00 AM) Post reply

Emilie T says she will discuss our suggestions with her webmasters (le bon Dieu leur preserve..) and act accordingly.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/20/2005 2:51:00 AM) Post reply

You sound very logical Lenchen. However, when the 'ones' were fluttering onto your poems you sang a tune that was so far removed from this one.
    H

• Monica Chan (3/19/2005 9:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm reading 'Let Me Die a Youngman's Death' by Roger McGough. May I ask if anybody know when (in which year) Roger made this poem? It seems that he is decribing 'death' in a violent way. Anything related to his background?
    Grateful if anyone can answer my questions. Thanks!

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (3/20/2005 6:49:00 AM) Post reply

Monica, Googling his name - or clicking 'more info' on his site here - will yield a wealth of information about this famous poet...

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/19/2005 5:47:00 PM) Post reply

I believe it was Henry Ford who said 'I will not financially support a system that tolerates the presence of evil'.
    So you may all ignore my question about donations.

• Lenchen Elf (3/19/2005 12:25:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Sonja & Anne
    Totally agree... if people insist on measuring themselves by 'ratings' then they have to accept the good and the bad of that measurement sys...whereas I believe, ...ratings have little to do with expressive thought in the first place: -)
    all the very best and lets all keep smiling: -)
    L

• ***** ***** (3/19/2005 10:29:00 AM) Post reply

Perfect, absolutley perfect, Anne. Qed! Although unfortunately, I have a feeling someone will disagree with you before long. Never mind.. it will not be me, no certainly not.

[Hata Bildir]