Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/1/2005 7:46:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I had not noticed your colour, Sir.
    Nor would I care.
    I would not blow the horn of racism before the soldiers have gotten up from their drunken slumber.
    Where is your poetry?
    Is it any good?
    H

• louis sacre croix (3/31/2005 7:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

My response to Mr. Saywell was a personal joke and I apologise to all not included.

I am sure, should he choose to respond, that he will explain that he understands the sentiment and indeed began this particular scoring method between the two of us!

I am sorry some were unamused.

Regards

Anne

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Poetry Hound (3/31/2005 6:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I'm starting to see the deficiencies of this discussion section. It's hard to follow the thread of a discussion when there's more than one going on at the same time. Too bad this isn't designed like the newsgroups where you can see a list of all the active threads at once. Until poemhunter institutes some design improvements (not holding my breath) , maybe Sherrie you should take the discussion of individual poems over to the 'Writing Poetry' Forum. It's a moribund forum right now but it has the potential to sizzle if someone like you lights the match.

• louis sacre croix (3/31/2005 3:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I give Mr. Saywell a (1)
    Dash it all I cannot it has to be a (5) and (5) when he is dead!

Warm regards though

Anne

• Allan James Saywell (3/31/2005 2:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

how are you boys and girls, men and woman and other things, how is every (1)
    MY BIGGEST PROBLEM with this site is the negative comments i get every so
    often and the fact computers are new to me i have made great friends on this site, had some happy times here, and i try to read a great range of work
    some i enjoy, some i dont i try to be fair and i respect other peoples work
    if you want to have a bitch or a butch, feel free

AJS

• Janice M Pickett (3/31/2005 6:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Read my reply to Mark Fry Please everyone.
    Thanks

• Solitary Man (3/31/2005 7:04:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Janice, being somewhat of a dope, I posted my reply to you on my own thread. To save me finger-ache, you'll find it there. Best regards, Mark.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/31/2005 6:18:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Further to this: I don't rate the work of others any different than previously, which is to give a 10 if I really thought the poem had merit, was 'good enough' to stand out from the crowd and I liked it for various reasons.
    Otherwise I don't bother to give a rating. If someone posts more than 2 or 3 poems at one time I don't read any of theirs.
    So, I have my list of whose poetry I must read and who gets checked occasionally. The rest fall by the wayside.
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/31/2005 6:14:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Well, I have news for you.
    I have started to implement a brand new rating system.
    It is simple, fair and does not cause me any grief at all.
    I rate all my own poems myself! I am serious and it is not really all that easy because I want to be honest to myself (as long as no one is looking, anyway) .
    Even though I had thought for a long time already that my inability to rate my own work was real it is only true to a small extent.
    So, if anyone wants to try this....
    H

• Solitary Man (3/31/2005 6:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Surely, everything is relative. I know people who would not rate their very favourite films, poems, etc. as being more than a '9', suggesting that (philosophically speaking) a '10' should be unattainable. I have given a '10' to a few things because, in my book, a '10' is an acknowledgement that the poem achieves everything it set out to do, and does not fall short. It seems to me that this is a fair way of assessing a piece. Otherwise, if one was to only class Dante or Shakespeare (for example) as a benchmark...everybody would be lucky to get passed 1/10! For example, if one injures oneself accidentally...a person could be extremely eloquent and quote Goethe...or one could perfectly encapsulate the moment with a well-timed, mono-syllabic expletive. I'd give the expletive 10/10 in that situation.

I think Michael Sheperd is right when he says that ratings are not something to get hung up about. It allows some people to gain a little confidence (which can only be a positive thing) ...and ultimately...if one is not happy with a certain line in a poem that they wrote...all the 10/10's in the world are not going to change their mind. Conversely, if one receives lots of stinking 1/10's but you think that you got the poem to where you wanted to take it...why worry about ratings?

• Janice M Pickett (3/31/2005 6:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I think everyone is so hung up on numbers that they have forgotten the basic principles. If you enjoy something very much you give it the highest score on the site which is ten. Not because ten means ... more

• louis sacre croix (3/30/2005 8:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I know that some poets like to be rated, but surely a good honest evaluation is better.
    Always happy to hear from others about a particular piece so long as it is honest and fair minded, based on the work and not on how one feels about the poet or any particulars about the poet's background.

Warm regards

Anne

• Alexa Greenwood (3/30/2005 11:33:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Personally I like my poems being rated, it is one reason I started posting them here. BTW when a poem is by nature unclear is it a good idea to add information regarding details of the poem? Alexa ... more

[Hata Bildir]