Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • ***** ***** (3/22/2005 7:56:00 PM) Post reply

This forum was certainly becoming a place for people to sound out their thougts, but will it be eclipsed by personal issues, I wonder? .......

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/22/2005 7:24:00 AM) Post reply

Gypsy, you now have a reply hidden under reply.
    Just in case you have not seen that small number (it took me a while!) .
    H

• Marco Polo (3/21/2005 9:06:00 PM) Post reply

Can some kind fellow Poem-Lover kindly enlighten this SBK as to the meaning of the following words and/or phrase in Phillis Wheatley lovely poem “An Hymn To The Morning” copied below?

Line Words / Phrase
    01 lays … nine
    09 lays
    15 bow'rs
    20 abortive song

An Hymn To The Morning
    by Phillis Wheatley

01 ATTEND my lays, ye ever honour'd nine,
    02 Assist my labours, and my strains refine;
    03 In smoothest numbers pour the notes along,
    04 For bright Aurora now demands my song.
    05 Aurora hail, and all the thousand dies,
    06 Which deck thy progress through the vaulted skies:
    07 The morn awakes, and wide extends her rays,
    08 On ev'ry leaf the gentle zephyr plays;
    09 Harmonious lays the feather'd race resume,
    10 Dart the bright eye, and shake the painted plume.
    11 Ye shady groves, your verdant gloom display
    12 To shield your poet from the burning day:
    13 Calliope awake the sacred lyre,
    14 While thy fair sisters fan the pleasing fire:
    15 The bow'rs, the gales, the variegated skies
    16 In all their pleasures in my bosom rise.
    17 See in the east th' illustrious king of day!
    18 His rising radiance drives the shades away-
    19 But Oh! I feel his fervid beams too strong,
    20 And scarce begun, concludes th' abortive song.

Thanks!

Marco Polo
    The Photographing-Poet-Errant
    Snail-mail: Grechesky Prospect,5, Apt.3,191036 St. Petersburg; RUSSIA
    tel/fax: (7-812) 277-5448
    e-mail: marco@marcopolopoet.com
    Poetry & Photo Homepage: www.marcopolopoet.com
    English Teacher Homepage: www.geocities.com/eispb

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/21/2005 8:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Michael Shepherd did raise this subject some time ago. I must agree I feel the same way and it is one reason that I am often missing out on RC's work because I am simply too short on time to bother reading so many] How he does it is beyond me, totally beyond me.
    Good point Robert, but then you live in the cold part of Australia, more sober thinking....

Replies for this message:
    • Lenchen Elf (3/22/2005 3:36:00 PM) Post reply

Hi H I don't know how RCA does it either, but I can honestly say I have NEVER come across imagery like his, complex, startling, beautiful, provocative, sometimes hideous...but unique in each case, I ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (3/21/2005 6:21:00 PM) Post reply

i second Robert's motion. hear! hear!

• Sylvia Spencer (3/21/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply

Dear Herbert, got the message on the bottom of my poem 'Mr Pong. The people in quistion make my Mr pong look spotless, I'm glad you enjojed the poem.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/21/2005 1:18:00 AM) Post reply

Exactly right, Janice. How would those who have been spared so far feel if someone smeared some cacatum onto door knobs, window sills and maybe the fridge.
    This is what has been done as anyone reading the comments of the recently re-subscribed person of (to myself) unacceptable repute would see.
    An additional technical point about the site is the fact that people can hide their faces, remain unseen while 'visiting'. I fail to see any reason for this facility to exist. Why would you want to hide? And don't tell me God also hides. What is, of course, an unsurmountable problem is the fact that so many types of people frequent P/H. If you have a mob of people you will usually find a very diverse mix of characters, ranging from those who have and the have-nots.
    One cannot expect rats and earhworms to have table manners. Figuratively speaking, of course.
    I am rather glad that I have such a good sensible neighbour as Janice, there is another (former New Yorker) close by who seems to be one of the good guys too.
    I shudder to think if I lived elsewhere.

• Janice M Pickett (3/20/2005 10:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think the bottom line here guys is this.

Our little spot on Poemhunter is our own little bit of space. OUr territory.
    If we draw a parrallel with our homes. Would we invite poeple in to visit and expect them to steal from us or be rude to us? I think not. So when we post our poems we would like the same respect. We want to invite readers. BUT we do not want them to be rude or damage what we do. That is inconsiderate and unnecessary. We have every right to retaliate if someone comes into our home and assults us. So we have every right on this site to defend ourselves against those who assult us verbally and emotionally on our little bit of poetic turf.
    Thats how I see it.

JMP

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/21/2005 4:30:00 AM) Post reply

Janice where are you hiding? Your inbox address is still blocked and I see little of you on the site. Thanks however for the very kind comments. Too much praise. Best wishes Herbert

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/20/2005 9:03:00 PM) Post reply

Is it a bit like raising Arizona?
    H

• Mary Nagy (3/20/2005 6:03:00 PM) Post reply

I meant simply put that re-posting poems does seem to get the people reading their poetry.....that's a good thing. It is a shame for the reasons certain people have felt the need to repost (to erase certain comments.) I have to confess I have not read all the argumentative comments but believe me....it would be hard to find anyone familiar with this site that wasn't aware of what was going on. Yes, if there were very nasty comments on my poetry (uncalled for or offensively rude) I would probably do the same. Of course, wanting more people to read my poetry...my childish brain started thinking......hmmm...should I repost? No...I will not repost anything.... Luckily I havn't had any of my poems defaced as some feel they have. I was not implying anyone has done it purposely for the attention drawn to their poems. :) I was simplying saying...look on the bright side, more people reading your work...that IS a good thing. I know I have re read much of the re-posted work...and enjoyed it very much I must say! Sincerely, Mary

[Hata Bildir]