Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Janice M Pickett (4/1/2005 10:29:00 PM) Post reply

Just thought I would share this with you guys. This is how they work I guess.

Circle of Poets - Results From the Authors' Contest

Dear janice Pickett,

We have chosen to publish your poem in the 2005 edition of poetry vibes. Your poem was part of more than 8563 entries. Our editors recognize its technical qualities. It is with great pleasure that we would like to inform you that your poem:

Looking through old photographs
    the other day.
    Made me remember things
    from times forgotten
    When Life was but a game
    and the future looked far from
    promising.

It brought back memories of
    childhood desires.
    I found myself back there
    in the moment
    when pain and fear were
    the strongest emotions I knew

I had to shake myself back to
    this day.
    The past tucked neatly back in it's
    place in my photo album.

Sitting there with the past now
    closed in a satin cover and
    held tightly in my lap
    I shudder.

The progress of time, years,
    experience and memories
    The realisation that we were
    once there in those closed pages
    Brings a sobering reality to today.

I thank my past for what I am now.
    I grieve my past for the insecurities
    I carry with me

But mostly I thank God that I am still alive
    to be part of this day.
    The future of my yesterdays

has been selected to get published. As such, your poem and name will be published in the 2005 edition of poetry vibes!

Your copyrights are fully respected. You retain full ownership of your work.

Paying members who order the 2005 manuscript will also qualify for the $5000 grand prize as a thank you for helping us to craft and print the manuscripts and to support our team. They will also receive an invitation to the global poetry conference.

Once you order, we will contact you soon with more details on that global conference (with poetry experts and all 2005 contest winners working on technical/improvisation workshops) .

Our editors select poems on the basis of rhythm, use of imagery, style and individuality. With respect to your poem 'The Future of my Yesterdays', our team of editors has particularly appreciated the images and mood evocated throughout.

All Circle of Poets members can now read your poem in our new manuscript and we will also present it to other publishers and poetry organizations. We will ask for your authorization in the event your poem is also selected by another publisher.

Our own manuscript is made of high quality, bounded paper. The manuscript contains professional illustrations. It makes a terrific coffee table book and a great gift to friends and family!

• Scarborough Gypsy (4/1/2005 7:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hi,

I am replying on the subject of poetry.com. I entered a competition on their and submitted a poem (before finding PH) and just last week I received a letter telling me that I had been selected as a semi finalist and would automatically be entered into the final draw. They went on to say that my poem was also going to be in an anthology and would have an entire page to itself. I do not have to pay for this but if I want to add a bio I would have to pay for that. They sent me a draft of the layout of my poem and I was able to edit anything I was not happy with. Then they offered me to purchase the anthology at a discounted price. I haven't put an order in as yet but I was of course tempted to.

Kind regards
    Gypsy

Replies for this message:
    • ***** ***** (4/3/2005 5:30:00 AM) Post reply

Gypsy, I entered something on their site a long time ago and (surprise, surprise) I too was selected as an honoured poet... don't bother with it.. they're only profiting from a writer's need to b ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Mary Nagy (4/1/2005 2:04:00 PM) Post reply

I also hate to admit to have many poems posted on their website. I was very excited the first time they said I was getting awards and being published///even having my poems included in a group of poems being recorded....of course all of this costs money if you want included in it...I have never paid anything and I wouldn't. To this day, every poem I've submitted to them has received 'top honors' and has been included into the anthologies...(all of which I can purchase for around $50-$60. At first I wanted to believe my poetry may just be good...I was really suprised and flattered but then I found EVERY poem submitted to them will be included into an anthology if the 'poet' wants to pay for it. (I knew a girl that actually bought one of these books and you wouldn't believe how it was set up) They put about 10-15 poems per page in very small font. Your poetry is lost in that book anyway. Just thought you may like to know my experience with poetry.com. This site is so much better since you can get real feedback and comments from people that don't want your money. Sincerely, Mary

• Scarborough Gypsy (4/1/2005 8:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Everyone,

You may or may not have noticed but I haven't been around much this week. I have been trying my hardest to write this one poem (in free style) and I have spent pretty much every spare minute I've had on it. I am predominantly a rhyming poet and I am trying to master the skills of free style. Anyway, I finaly finished it tonight and have just posted it on the site. I Hope you don't mind me asking this on the forum but I would really appreciate anyone taking a look at it and giving me some honest feedback. Is it trash or treasure? The title is 'Love In A Tea Cup'.

Thanks in advance
    Gypsy

• Mary Nagy (4/1/2005 8:40:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Gypsy, I read your poem (and left a comment) but just wanted to let you know that I absolutely love your poem! ! Trash or Treasure? ? ? Treasure by far! ! You are very talented! ! Sincerely, Ma ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/1/2005 7:46:00 AM) Post reply

I had not noticed your colour, Sir.
    Nor would I care.
    I would not blow the horn of racism before the soldiers have gotten up from their drunken slumber.
    Where is your poetry?
    Is it any good?
    H

• louis sacre croix (3/31/2005 7:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My response to Mr. Saywell was a personal joke and I apologise to all not included.

I am sure, should he choose to respond, that he will explain that he understands the sentiment and indeed began this particular scoring method between the two of us!

I am sorry some were unamused.

Regards

Anne

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Poetry Hound (3/31/2005 6:26:00 PM) Post reply

I'm starting to see the deficiencies of this discussion section. It's hard to follow the thread of a discussion when there's more than one going on at the same time. Too bad this isn't designed like the newsgroups where you can see a list of all the active threads at once. Until poemhunter institutes some design improvements (not holding my breath) , maybe Sherrie you should take the discussion of individual poems over to the 'Writing Poetry' Forum. It's a moribund forum right now but it has the potential to sizzle if someone like you lights the match.

• louis sacre croix (3/31/2005 3:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I give Mr. Saywell a (1)
    Dash it all I cannot it has to be a (5) and (5) when he is dead!

Warm regards though

Anne

• Allan James Saywell (3/31/2005 2:14:00 PM) Post reply

how are you boys and girls, men and woman and other things, how is every (1)
    MY BIGGEST PROBLEM with this site is the negative comments i get every so
    often and the fact computers are new to me i have made great friends on this site, had some happy times here, and i try to read a great range of work
    some i enjoy, some i dont i try to be fair and i respect other peoples work
    if you want to have a bitch or a butch, feel free

AJS

• Janice M Pickett (3/31/2005 6:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Read my reply to Mark Fry Please everyone.
    Thanks

• Solitary Man (3/31/2005 7:04:00 AM) Post reply

Janice, being somewhat of a dope, I posted my reply to you on my own thread. To save me finger-ache, you'll find it there. Best regards, Mark.

[Hata Bildir]