Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Linda Preston (4/18/2005 2:34:00 PM) Post reply

G'day Allan,
    Any roast snake left over?

• Allan James Saywell (4/18/2005 2:13:00 PM) Post reply

mary it was supposed to be kept quiet, it was a photo of a man and two children
    they cut the children out of the photo and just left me, i was led to believe
    that the photo would be left in the site, i gave her a short history of my
    life and who i was how i made it as a poet, which in itself was a story on it's own, they just put what they wanted to put and the rest is history
    an example of why i dont trust people, another woman in america has my photo
    somewhere in texas, the photo was rather scary, i had long blonde hair and
    i have a battered face from my sporting days, janice pickering might have the photo

• Mary Nagy (4/18/2005 1:49:00 PM) Post reply

Mr. Saywell,
    You mentioned your photo on the web.....(so ugly you're handsome) ...I'm very curious to see this photo myself. Would you be willing to say where that might be found? I see so much of your work here, it's always nice to put a face with it. Sincerely, Mary

• Poetry Hound (4/18/2005 7:16:00 AM) Post reply

Michael, Fairchild is just one of those poets I bumped into and have enjoyed for a couple of years now. I don't know anything about him. Interesting that you mentioned 'Body and Soul' - it is a poignant and non-sentimental bit of Americana, something that should be included in books on American culture. I wonder how non-Americans view that poem. I guess you could subsitute soccer (football) for baseball, but I don't think it would read the same way. Football is not distinct to any one country's identity - many embrace it, while baseball is distincly American (okay, Cuban, Dominican, and Japanese too, I guess) . Even though American football has now surpassed baseball in popularity in the U.S., baseball is steeped in more American tradition and is sort of revered as a throwback to a more pastoral innocent America. So it's a perfect backdropp for a poem about a slice of America.

• Michael Shepherd (4/18/2005 6:33:00 AM) Post reply

PH and all (and that includes you, Janine Nehrlich...) :

Megathanks for the introduction to Fairchild - who hit 500 in the immortal poets list today with his mere 5 poems onsite. A magnificent writer - cosmic range of reference but no shit, a huge heart, and a riveting word-perfect delivery. His 'Body and Soul' tells you (gray lino included) all that lies behind the poem you quoted: a better picture of ballpark America than anything I've read outside of novels. Any details about him from your side of the water? No books mentioned - but surely is/was a contender for Poet Laureate?

• Yotanka Drake (4/18/2005 4:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello,
    I am a new member and I started english studies in the university by correspondance in France (actually I'm french) .
    I have to analyse a poem of W.H Auden 'On this island'. I am unable to tell if this poem is an ode or an free verse. If it be a free verse, then it means that there is no metrical patterns.
    I would like to have your opinion about it.
    Thank you very much.

I am very glad to be a new member. And as a French just beginning studies, I hope being able to converse with anyone who would answer me.
    Bye

Replies for this message:
    • Peter A. Crowther (4/18/2005 6:20:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Yotanka, I am no expert but will give you my ‘take’ on Auden’s poem for what it is worth. The poem is composed of three seven-line stanzas. The lines are of unequal length but generally the sho ... more

• Linda Preston (4/18/2005 4:36:00 AM) Post reply

Mark, Re: Seamus Heaney - there's are lots of his poems I like, he wrote a lot about the troubles, in the late 60's and early 70's which are interesting to read - as he is trying to keep a detached view. Poetry Hound - yes, I like Mid-Term break, very sad - re: potato digging - I think he picked that up from Ted Hughes - he was into that big style - potatoes are of course an interesting metaphor in view of Irish history.

• Linda Preston (4/18/2005 1:42:00 AM) Post reply

Allan, re: message last night. It's because I know that deep down inside that you are just a romantic at heart.

• Allan James Saywell (4/17/2005 9:07:00 PM) Post reply

I JUST WENT TO COME THROUGH THE DOOR OF THE FORUM, I HIT MY NOB HEAD
    ON THE SIDE OF THE DOOR, OH WELL, TIME FOR LUNCH GOANNA PATTIES TODAY
    ROASTED OF COURSE, SEE YOU LATER

• Allan James Saywell (4/17/2005 9:00:00 PM) Post reply

TIP TOE THROUGH THE TULIPS WITH MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    TINY TIM REMEMBER HIM, THAT RYMES, OH MY DARLING OH MY DARLING
    OH MY DARLING CLEMONTINE, MY DARLING CLEMONTINEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    TRY AND HOLD NOTE FOR FIVE MINUTES AND YOU WILL BECOME FAMOUS

[Hata Bildir]