Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (4/20/2005 4:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

My friend Kenneth Verity, who writes books of haiku on strict principles (his, or Japanese, I wouldn't know) but essentially a game where the reader has to link two apparently disparate statements in their mind, naturally believes that to name a haiku loses the whole point of it. To exaggerate the situation, titling a haiku which reads 'The mayfly are breeding/plop' as 'Flies over a trout river on a summer evening' would rather spoil the intention?

• Allan James Saywell (4/19/2005 11:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

i have just written a poem about the colour white, the name of the poem
    mister abbekka, 'The Colour White', the name just popped up in front of me
    on a serious subject titles of poems, sometimes they come easy or you submit
    and you have already used it, then they knock you back, so then you have to
    think about a title which i personaly give some serious thought to
    a title is importent as the content EG if you name your poem 'peace'
    and it is about the' battle of little bighorn' then you have failed with your title

Replies for this message:
  • Robert Rorabeck (4/19/2005 11:13:00 PM) Post reply Stage

titles or for titlers- how does everyone title their stuff? Do they think long and hard on the title or do they just think one up before they post? I usually think of titles as I post (I usually write the poem right before I post) - sometimes the title comes to me beforehand and I like it, but that's not usually the case- How do you title your poems? (Today's letter is the letter W- Which was brought to you by the number 23)

• ***** ***** (4/19/2005 10:18:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Anyone up for writing a poem about the colour white?

• ***** ***** (4/19/2005 9:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Fair enough.. I just thought it was one of the priciples of the form, but each to his/her own I guess..

• Allan James Saywell (4/19/2005 9:13:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i like to title my haiku, the fun is in the title, i enjoy having fun
    there is no rules in a title

• ***** ***** (4/19/2005 6:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I understood that haiku are not supposed to have a title. I have noticed that everyone titles their haiku here (and on many other sites) and - though I am limitted in my knowledge of the form - is it not true that they should stand alone, without a title?

• Robert Rorabeck (4/18/2005 8:42:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I look like the fall of a dogtrack sliding down the drunk side of Bukowski's thigh in the deep afternoon reflected from a bottle of Budweiser pressed to the lips of a green eyed women being ridden by the spirit of Muhammad Ali- At least, it's what I've been told, asleep and dreaming.

• Mary Nagy (4/18/2005 7:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Well Mark, an 'adonis' or a 'doughnut'....Hmmmm strange contrast either way. I doubt I am the only one curious about how people here really look.

• Andy Konisberg (4/18/2005 8:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I agree with you...but that's the beauty of the world-wide web, I guess. When I get around to it, I'll put a real picture up.

• Robert Rorabeck (4/18/2005 6:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Boo! Scared you- popping in to say hello- may not post for awhile- PH's deep santeria voodoo curse worked on me and these pills- they're calming me down a bit.

Cheers.

To read all of 1 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]