Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (4/20/2005 6:11:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Did herbert really get elected pope

• Allan James Saywell (4/20/2005 6:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

The word irish triggered my haiku on the irish, and the word drunk

• Allan James Saywell (4/20/2005 6:07:00 PM) Post reply Stage

why did it take some poets more then five minutes to do there colour white poems
    like 24 hours

• Allan James Saywell (4/20/2005 5:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

do we have a german pope, could someone tell me

• ***** ***** (4/20/2005 5:25:00 AM) Post reply Stage

a variety of ways.. sometimes a word will trigger a poem and the title will include that word, sometimes it will come from the overall meaning when I read over the finished work.. sometimes the damn thing can't be named (a problem I am having at the moment.. pfff) . Usually though, they speak for themselves. I find it best to let the poem chose its own name by speaking to you, really.

• Michael Shepherd (4/20/2005 4:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

My friend Kenneth Verity, who writes books of haiku on strict principles (his, or Japanese, I wouldn't know) but essentially a game where the reader has to link two apparently disparate statements in their mind, naturally believes that to name a haiku loses the whole point of it. To exaggerate the situation, titling a haiku which reads 'The mayfly are breeding/plop' as 'Flies over a trout river on a summer evening' would rather spoil the intention?

• Allan James Saywell (4/19/2005 11:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

i have just written a poem about the colour white, the name of the poem
    mister abbekka, 'The Colour White', the name just popped up in front of me
    on a serious subject titles of poems, sometimes they come easy or you submit
    and you have already used it, then they knock you back, so then you have to
    think about a title which i personaly give some serious thought to
    a title is importent as the content EG if you name your poem 'peace'
    and it is about the' battle of little bighorn' then you have failed with your title

Replies for this message:
  • Robert Rorabeck (4/19/2005 11:13:00 PM) Post reply Stage

titles or for titlers- how does everyone title their stuff? Do they think long and hard on the title or do they just think one up before they post? I usually think of titles as I post (I usually write the poem right before I post) - sometimes the title comes to me beforehand and I like it, but that's not usually the case- How do you title your poems? (Today's letter is the letter W- Which was brought to you by the number 23)

• ***** ***** (4/19/2005 10:18:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Anyone up for writing a poem about the colour white?

• ***** ***** (4/19/2005 9:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Fair enough.. I just thought it was one of the priciples of the form, but each to his/her own I guess..

[Hata Bildir]