Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Sunny Albright (5/19/2005 1:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello all. I've been told this is the place to be for the good discussions!

Replies for this message:
  • Scott Mcdonald (5/19/2005 12:59:00 AM) Post reply

We know who those are who choose to be 'unseen'.

• Raynette Eitel (5/18/2005 6:48:00 PM) Post reply

Oh Jefferson, how could you miss the resemblance to Sandburg's poem, 'Chicago? '
    Perhaps the only difference is when Sandburg says, '...proud to be hog butcher.' These guys are created by James to be little above the hogs (if they are) . James' poem has the same base brutality as Sandburg and does a good job helping us see what he witnessed.

Raynette

• Michael Shepherd (5/18/2005 12:51:00 PM) Post reply

I suggest: public question, public answer; private question, private answer. That is, where we pose a question we would like everyone's answers or responses to, the answers should be in the main body of the forum here, not on a thread, which gets swept away by the flotsam. That way, we can keep the unresponded questions (which are quite a few by now, by the way...) in view. OK?

• Raynette Eitel (5/18/2005 10:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

This poem reminds me of Carl Sandburg's 'Chicago.' The first line of Sandburg's 'Hog Butcher for the World, ' seems the same as 'Tuesdays were pigs.' It never ceases to amaze me that a poem can be made of any topic. It can be aesthetic or brutal, earthy or ethereal, and the poet can make it work. (or not) This poem gave me a glimpse at a part of life I'd rather not know about. On the other hand, I suspect there are people who raise hogs and take them to market and then go home and read poetry or listen to Bach. It is usually people on the outside to pin labels on others.

• Michael Shepherd (5/18/2005 12:59:00 PM) Post reply

Incidentally, Rich Hanson, who has recently withdrawn from the site but may (hallo, Rich....) be dropping in from time to time, writes serious, researched poetry in leisure hours between family, ball ... more

• Michael Shepherd (5/18/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks for the response, Raynette (who I note, has thrived on poemhunter so far?) ... for me it is a well-presented 'slice of real life' which, though I wouldn't be up to it myself unless raised to it ... more

• Michael Shepherd (5/18/2005 6:43:00 AM) Post reply

Someone, was it JC? suggested that we might apply ourselves more usefully to discussing a poem by one of our members - who could then reply to the comments. I would suggest that we might look at James Mills' poem 'Tuesdays were pigs' which is currently up there.
    I suggest this because it seems to me to be a good example of what Wallace Stevens called 'the search for what will suffice' - which I take to include what suffices to the poet's capabilities, as well as to the poem itself; Poemhunter opens its doors to all levels of poetic skill or lack of it. I won't offer my own judgment of the poem further than that.
    Also I might mention that no-one's taken me up on that Cincinnatti poetess and her poem on 'Slate' online mag.? That I'll certainly not comment on...

• Allan James Saywell (5/18/2005 5:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

haute do you and your cronies need a bit of human company occasionely
    it must be hard being a hermit, with no friends perhaps i could sing you a song
    tiptoe through the tulips with meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Michael Shepherd (5/18/2005 12:54:00 PM) Post reply

Allan, when did you last make a sincere, kind, useful, positive comment here, and one that didn't relate back to yourself?

• mother baxter (5/18/2005 1:43:00 AM) Post reply

dont you do your poems in five minutes, like ajs and herbie it just flows out of them

• Allan James Saywell (5/17/2005 11:32:00 PM) Post reply

it's a weapon dear one, you got the message, you lost the WAR the empire is gone
    go home ET

• Allan James Saywell (5/17/2005 5:28:00 PM) Post reply

remember the war of independence brits, think think harder dont worry i have a poem all about it, you can read it, remember when you had power

[Hata Bildir]