Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Alice Vedral Rivera Rookie - 1st Stage (7/4/2005 5:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have just posted a poem in Czech - NICOTA. I originally wrote my poem Void in Czech and I wanted to post it as I first wrote it. It seems that no matter what I do, there are 5 words that end up being split into two parts. Does anyone know how I can fix it?

thanks

Replies for this message:
  • Laura Cummings Rookie - 1st Stage (7/4/2005 10:13:00 AM) Post reply

hmm so little time so much to do... reverse, reverse, . reverse.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (7/4/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I see this poemhunter forum
    is empty, though retains decorum
    perhaps the residents are writing
    which is superior to fighting.
    But empty houses do keep humming
    until they know that we are coming
    to shoot the great poetic breeze
    by candlelight and wine and cheese.
    So, do not worry poet Newton
    you will not have to start your tootin'
    as you shall see, they will be back
    and long before you hit the sack.

• ***** ***** Rookie - 1st Stage (7/2/2005 8:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I am going to follow that post with a further statement of disgust. We have been asked to partake in a huge people movement (at least in feeling) and you have been too busy on some mickey mouse quest to better yourselves on some quiet corner of the net to notice that you could have been part of something special. Jesus, wake up... WAKE UP! ! ! ! ! You have just missed the train to Revolution... Your next stop..? you decide.

S.

• Michael Shepherd (7/3/2005 11:38:00 AM) Post reply

Sounds as if you should be writing a great poem out of this depth of emotion, Sonja.

• Andrew Konisberg (7/3/2005 10:34:00 AM) Post reply

I don't wish to get entrenched in a rich versus poor debate. I come from a working-class background and that goes back for generations. I think that there are kind people who have money and kind peopl ... more

• ***** ***** Rookie - 1st Stage (7/2/2005 8:01:00 PM) Post reply

look, it's obvious that to get angry at the state of the world, the rich people is the way to go... but they could just cut off whenever they bloody well want.. it is when they take the time, with the global influence they DO have, that I am appreciative. Okay, they don't take from their own bank accounts... but I challenge an NGO on the planet to attain the reach that they get all over the world. Let's get some perspective and stop griping. Bill Gates is the richest man in the world.. he gives a percentage of his wealth to charity.. do people want him to give ALL that he has to make it easier for all of us - so we can go back to what we were doing - are we expecting the rich to bail us out of OUR collective chores? We ALL have a responsibility here. I think rock stars pay their way in that they make fans aware (who may not otherwise have been) and therefore engender will and concern worldwide (they even change lives such that people base their careers in care and charity because of their concerts... can any of us pride on soliciting such passion?)

I think the griping about the statistics here is so bloody futile it makes me furious... shouldn't intelligent people be speaking about REAL... I'll say that again... REEEEAL.. things? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Get it together guys. There is more to life than

Y O U.

S,

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) Rookie - 1st Stage (7/2/2005 5:50:00 PM) Post reply

I call myself Poetry Snob (despite my poor spelling) cause anyone on this cite who thinks theres good and theres bad poetry seems to be automaticaly considered an elite snob. I believe theres bad poetry (read any poem by McKuen, popular or not) and then read any poem by Semus Heaney. Youll see the diffrence at once (IF youve actualy spent time reading good poetry and reading about it and not just writing what you think is poetry.) PS

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (7/2/2005 5:07:00 AM) Post reply

Jefferson, so well named or should I say nomenclatured - Congratulations and a celebratory cup of Boston tea are in order, I guess, on the auspicious day for all champs, chimps and chumps and their star-spangled public personae... we here in lil' ol' England are about to have a huge public demonstration based on two naive truisms - that world poverty is unnecessary if governments act to release surplus food, aid, and last of all money; and that governments are elected to fulfil the will of the people... wish us luck!

And talking of truisms - proud as we all are of poetry-writing at the highest level and its potential place in the world, I think we should acknowledge what seems to have turned many of the sour apples on this Forum: that the 500 lists, like it or not, are a true reflection of what - in greatest proportion - younger readers of this site actually hit on... sure, there are qualifications to be made - the top of the list gets read more because poetry-exhaustion sets in, etc. etc. - but it's as much of a fact as that some people like hamburgers...(this on a day when like several others, I've zoomed up on one list and down on the other - did I miss something overnight?) Maybe we should pay these lists a wee bit more respect: if poetry needs to be loved more than admired in order to touch the human heart, this is what hits the hitters... while in the spirit of independence, we continue to write what we individually hope to be the best... End of sermon. Fireworks. Fadeout.

• t. h. ashbury Rookie - 1st Stage (7/1/2005 8:47:00 PM) Post reply

so... now that all of this is handled(?) - what is our next collaborative effort folks?

• Jerry Hughes Rookie - 1st Stage (7/1/2005 6:19:00 PM) Post reply

Greetings all

It's great to know sanity and good manners weren't totally swamped by pettiness and bitchiness on the Poem Hunter site. Peace, perfect peace? So mote it be.

• Richard George Rookie - 1st Stage (7/1/2005 2:25:00 PM) Post reply

I think Archbishop Desmond Tutu may have the last word in this: 'It is large-hearted and courageous people who are able to say 'Sorry'.'

[Hata Bildir]