Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Peter Stavropoulos Rookie - 1st Stage (7/29/2014 7:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Just starting to get into Pound's Cantos. Is there a better line in poetry than this?- " out of all this beauty something must come." Written by Pound after having been imprisoned in an open air cage, sleeping on the ground.

Replies for this message:
    • Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (7/29/2014 9:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

More Pound for your reading pleasure: No, no! Go from me. I have left her lately. I will not spoil my sheath with lesser brightness, For my surrounding air hath a new lightness; Slight are h ... more

• Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (7/29/2014 2:51:00 PM) Post reply

I can't decide which 'League of Angels' heroine I like the best: Aurora, Isabelle, or Fortuna. They're all so lovely...and healthy. So healthy.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (7/29/2014 1:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

For Professor Plum..... isn't it?

Rabble delle persone sporche
    da diversi percorsi, ruggendo per le strade:
     di essere nutrito, vestito e per eguale trattamento,
    ma il boom si dimentica, che il contratto sociale
    firmato con la bufala, (che) le loro anime e la libertà
    essere ammanettato e incatenato per pochi centesimi pochi e bucks.And
    (Come Faustus ha promesso di Lucifero) anche loro, hanno dato il loro consenso IN.
    Ah! Non vedo la tua tenebra sarà mai reso conto.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (7/29/2014 12:29:00 AM) Post reply

Helllppp! Thripp the Dick has been unleashed upon this site. His toxic sewage is threatening to overwhelm us. Send your complaints to management. I've done it and am waiting for a response.

• Alexander Rizzo Rookie - 1st Stage (7/28/2014 9:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

thripps' writings are nothing more than puerile drivel, in case anyone is interested. in fact, thripp is mike acker. mr acker has played with more aliases in the past 10 months, ya gotta wonder about his sanity. his name isn't actually 'acker'. now that's really on the down low

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Shifty Moriarty Rookie - 1st Stage (7/28/2014 12:56:00 PM) Post reply

Spring and All [By the road to the contagious hospital]

William Carlos Williams,1883 - 1963

By the road to the contagious hospital
    under the surge of the blue
    mottled clouds driven from the
    northeast-a cold wind. Beyond, the
    waste of broad, muddy fields
    brown with dried weeds, standing and fallen

patches of standing water
    the scattering of tall trees

All along the road the reddish
    purplish, forked, upstanding, twiggy
    stuff of bushes and small trees
    with dead, brown leaves under them
    leafless vines-

Lifeless in appearance, sluggish
    dazed spring approaches-

They enter the new world naked,
    cold, uncertain of all
    save that they enter. All about them
    the cold, familiar wind-

Now the grass, tomorrow
    the stiff curl of wildcarrot leaf
    One by one objects are defined-
    It quickens: clarity, outline of leaf

But now the stark dignity of
    entrance-Still, the profound change
    has come upon them: rooted, they
    grip down and begin to awaken

• Tony Adah Freshman - 2nd Stage (7/28/2014 11:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am thinking
    About myself
    I am thinking
    About other people
    I am remembering something
    I am thinking
    About the world
    I want to tone it:
    Earth, man, animal, water, fire, air etc
    And all toward perfection
    Or put them in their right
    Places of interaction.
    I want to in all these
    Make me and other men happy
    Sum up all these
    And make them
    The reason for poetry.

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (7/28/2014 1:09:00 PM) Post reply

Tony, you want to " tone" the world? As in make it like Tony? Huh? Time for some ESL help! ! And why not mention women while you're busy " toning" the world?

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (7/27/2014 11:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This guy is obviously a bigoted, homo-phobic, racist bi-polar sob, but he can write poetry. I made myself read through some of his stuff and I hate to say this, but the guy is a very good poet. His writings are better and more exciting than any of the so-called elite here, like Lamont Palmer.
    My hat's off to you, Richard.

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (7/28/2014 2:46:00 PM) Post reply

You are a better judge of poetry than I will ever be. On the other hand, going by instinct alone, he brings to mind Jackson Pollock. I feel there is an aesthetic touch to his writings. This is not ... more

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (7/27/2014 11:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Oriental Man (as reply)

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (7/27/2014 11:14:00 PM) Post reply

Oriental Man The monotony of these mountains seems to block in the green of this landscape, whose bored shores, which still dream of the touch of totalitarian tsunamis from long ago, accept ... more

• Yin Zhijia Rookie - 1st Stage (7/27/2014 9:48:00 PM) Post reply

Hi, I'm a critic of poetry. I have a question at mind, why there are so many journals called " review" , actually publish only creation, say, poems, not review, even " American Poetry Review" publish only poems, instead of review?How come???and A&HCI journals do the same thing, Puzzled! ! ! Why Why Why?

[Hata Bildir]