Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • kenneth william snow (6/16/2005 10:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

IMHO...I don't believe the last word of the line is sufficient...I'd like to see a phrase or half a line at least..This can give us some insight into meter and content...Better chance to get a more fluent poem...

IMHO
    kenneth

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 12:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Aha, Kenneth! nice point. The surrealists, who thrived on non-sequiturs and the more bizarre the better, would have been happy with this last-word process. The old 19th century 'Consequences' played m ... more

• Poetry Hound (6/16/2005 11:13:00 AM) Post reply

I agree with you, Kenneth, but it sounds like it's already off and running. Maybe we can try your way next time. I suspect with this one-word approach we'll end up with a list of nonsequitors.

• Andrew Konisberg (6/16/2005 9:16:00 AM) Post reply

I will not mention in what order I am approaching poets to contribute to our game, as Jake pointed out that it will be more fun to guess...needless to say, I've already mentioned that Michael has composed line 1 and I've approached Allan to write line 2...other than that, I'll just comment sporadically as to how things are going...I'll give everybody a cut-off point to contribute their line and if they miss the e-mail but still want to contribute (and the poem is still running) it just means they'll be farther down the list, that's all. for the record, Allan's cut-off point is 5 P.M. Poemhunter time and then I'll approach the next poet. and I will work that way with everybody who contributes...thus, the poem may take a few days to get finished but everybody will get a chance to write.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/16/2005 7:58:00 AM) Post reply

all we go by is the final word of the previous line, given to us by Andrew. everything else will be unseen/unknown.

• Poetry Hound (6/16/2005 7:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Let me get this straight. We submit a single line of any length and meter, and all we have to go on are the final words of all the previous lines, right?

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 10:10:00 AM) Post reply

Andy says 8-14 words to the line - it look better on PH screen within that line-length?

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/16/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply

OUTSTANDING! thanks for stepping up and moderating, Andrew! you beat me to it. i hope everybody agrees to participate. starting small is an excellent suggestion. put me down as the final contributor. i'm up to the challenge. :)

in case any other Hunter stumbles across this Forum and wants to join in on the Corpse, this isn't an exclusive club so feel free. be sure to let Andrew know you want in.

Jake

• Michael Shepherd (6/16/2005 6:37:00 AM) Post reply

A posting of mine got lost just now: to say, forget the 4th line thing - if you remember you're the 4th,8th,12th,16th 'poster', and want to close the verse, so be it... it's just I noticed that on screen, four-line verses of whatever are more assimilable to the eye...

We could get like city yuppies - adjusting our sleeping hours to the 24-hour clock...

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/15/2005 1:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

from Wikipedia:

Exquisite corpse (also known as Exquisite cadaver) is a method by which a collection of words or images are collectively assembled, the result being known as the exquisite corpse or cadavre exquis in French. It is a technique used by surrealists, and is based on an old parlour game called consequences in which players wrote in turn on a sheet of paper, folded it to conceal part of the writing, and then passed it to the next player for a further contribution.

The exquisite corpse game is played by a group of people who write a composition in sequence. Each person is only allowed to see the end of what the previous person wrote. The name is derived from a phrase that occurred when the game was first played in French, 'Le cadavre exquis boira du nouveau vin.' ('The exquisite corpse will drink the new wine.') While initially sentences were constructed using the verbal method, poems and stories were later also written by it.

one of my poetry groups has one at each gathering. we contribute to it when we arrive and read it to conclude the meeting. the results can be hysterically odd.

the way we might be able to compose one online is thusly:

someone could elect to start by writing the first line on their own, but only sharing the final word with the forum. anybody could grab that last word, compose the second line on their own and post their final word in the forum. and so on...

after about 6 people or so get in on it, we could all call and post our respective lines in an Exquisite Corpse.

i figured it might be fun, promote esprit de corps and all that jazz.

Jake

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (6/15/2005 10:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

fellow poets, has anybody been part of an Exquisite Corpse poem? i was trying to think of a practical way we could get one going online. any takers?

• Michael Shepherd (6/15/2005 11:42:00 AM) Post reply

What the hell is that? Or will I find out all too soon? Or is it what somebody has already been posting - I can still feel the pins in the wax...? Is it the 'follow that' game? Elucidate!

• Andrew Konisberg (6/15/2005 7:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

RE: Laura Cummings work. I've read through all of your posted poems, Laura. The poems I thought were most complete were: 'My Old China Doll', 'The Best Laid Schemes O' Mice and Men', 'I like my Daddy (age 6) ', and 'What Is A Poem'...these are your most mature pieces because they have a finished feel to them...I thought you could stretch 'My Old China Doll' out a bit and really capture the senses with that one. A number of your poems would benefit by you being braver with the imagery and metaphor...for example, 'Love is Not Enough', 'Nightmare In Truth', 'Running', 'The Way The Wind Blows', 'Walls...'...all of these poems show promise but are stilted because you are conservative in utilising metaphor and imagery. A bit of alliteration here and there would also help some of these poems leap out from the page more. I thought 'The Healer' is another example of a poem that could be really good if you 'went for it' instead of falling back on safe terrain with 'fluffy' words like soft, gentle, etc....I think you play it safe at times when you should be as daring as you can be because in other poems, you are not afraid to take a chance...particularly with subject matter. Whereas, 'I Like My Daddy (aged 6) ' I thought captured the subject perfectly, 'I like My Daddy (aged 16) ' (whilst more graphic) was too contrived and actually, very unconvincing....from people who I've known who have gone through that experience...never-the-less, I admire you for taking on a controversial subject and trying to write about it. Now, if you channelled that sense of daring into your descriptive powers, Laura, I think your work could fly off in really interesting directions. You need to use a spell-checker before you post because there are spelling mistakes everywhere and if you can fix this alongside having the ambition to reach out and take gambles with the way you describe things/ emotions/ places...I think we will begin to see the best of Laura Cummings. Your sense of rhythm will naturally improve with the more poetry that you read and write. That's my constructive opinion, Laura, but if you are aged 17-18 there is plenty of time to ring the changes and, at your age, there is some promise in certain pieces that I have mentioned.

• Lamont Palmer (6/15/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

When Andy suggests stretching oneself or being more daring, he doesnt mean enggaging in more gut-spilling or the telling every lurid detail of an incident; he means employing more daring language and ... more

• Laura Cummings (6/15/2005 9:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

thankyou. the poems where i fall on 'safe terrain'..... this is because they are based on things that really happened and i fear it would be to dangerous to express myself fully in the way you describ ... more

• Lamont Palmer (6/15/2005 8:21:00 AM) Post reply

Andy, you are the critiquer among critiquers! I love to read your assessments.

• Michael Shepherd (6/15/2005 6:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Laura, I'd back JC's comments here just about to the letter... but guys, how about our saying which poem of Laura's we most like - as a very practical directions sign for her future work?

[Hata Bildir]