Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (8/24/2005 9:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

For those who love deconstruction as I do, especially in ad campaigns, Slate online mag. has a neat deconstruction job on the latest slew of US recruiting posters...almost worth a poem...

Replies for this message:

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (8/24/2005 7:26:00 AM) Post reply

AHOY AHOY!

still going full swing with the Corpus Dickenson... i had Monday and Tuesday off work in an abrupt turn of events. but i'm back and were already halfway thru the list of contributors. it's all coming together nicely, i might add.

nothing like poetry on company time!

upward, onward.

• Nagamuthu Osho (8/24/2005 1:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hail! Poets! Savants!

Reading, wrighting and inspiration leads to proud, profound and sound wisdom?

sOME gets wisdom without reading?
    some gets knowledge after training some skills?

But eternal wisdom pours, flows, glows like a lamp!

The lamp of truth, enlightnes, relumes the Soul!

God Bless you!

• Cheri Leigh (9/8/2005 9:46:00 AM) Post reply

Nice use of 'wrighting' instead of writing. As poets we are, in the old english sense, word-wrights.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/24/2005 6:14:00 PM) Post reply

And I concur with Sherrie (again!) . This word sounds great to my foreign ears and I have suggested appropriate professional help for the 'troublescent' poet on this site. H

• Richard George (8/24/2005 5:20:00 AM) Post reply

Like the neologism 'relumes'.

• Max Reif (8/23/2005 7:19:00 PM) Post reply

I've started reading UNDERSTANDING POETRY, by Robert Penn Warren and Cleanth Brooks. We used it as a text in high school, I think, though I was too busy in adolescent daydreams and showing off to absorb much.

I recommend the book as a treasure to anyone who wants an entrance into the world of poetry via the 'reading' end of the tunnel or the writing end. Whether the book is a review or a brand new acquaintance, the combination of provocative critical writing and commentary on wonderful poems, makes for a rich adventure. In fact, I JUST POSTED A POEM ABOUT READING THE BOOK.

My finding it and checking it out of the library was occasioned by a dim memory I had of it after my wife and I saw the powerful film 'All the King's Men' that was made of Robert Penn Warren's best-known literary work.

• Poetry Hound (8/23/2005 11:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Nicholas Roehl has an interesting post on the 'Writing Poetry' forum regarding how to write better poetry. I'm interested in folks' thoughts.

• Michael Shepherd (8/23/2005 1:56:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks for that recommendation to Roehl and the other Writing Poetry forum, PoHo. It's positively civilised compared to this nest of vipers...

• Michael Shepherd (8/23/2005 11:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Now here's a cool question: the history of criticism, in poetry as in other arts, is strong in unattempted or unsuccesful (note the word..) poets who turned in some relevant criticism from a broader perspective (rather than personal animosity) .

So should our two Wipe Your Feet Matts be condemned as critics just because their poetry is uh-huh? If they avoided generalisations, say, and kept to detailed poetics?

Justa question, folks...

• Michael Shepherd (8/23/2005 2:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I guess the word 'critic' is too limiting - but it's the one in common use. I tried to promote the word 'appreciator' in the press, but it didn't catch on -people enjoy the negative so much more...an ... more

• Max Reif (8/22/2005 2:54:00 PM) Post reply

Sherrie, are you looking for excitement here? Is that what the rest of you are looking for? I don't get off on interpersonal conflict. I mean, lively discussion's one thing. Are you looking for name-calling and insults? Is that what excites you guys?

• Matthew Pearson (8/22/2005 9:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Hello friends. I have been on a four-day break on the Mississippi with my partner. Very nice it was too. I now feel reinvigorated and ready to open the bottle of truth serum for y'all. The Mississippi. I may grace this site with a few mediocre poems about it. Be grateful. You'll m(d) iss me when I'm gone. I will turn into vapor at the turn of the new year. I am then commissioned to write a new book. I'll take advance orders and insults. Long live the Mississippi and all who sail in her.

M. P.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/23/2005 6:25:00 AM) Post reply

Well I am so sorry that you did not like my Mississippi poem. I notice that you re-introduced yourself to the forum after your trip by calling us 'friends'. I would have thought that you could resis ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/22/2005 10:20:00 PM) Post reply

Well I took the liberty of re-creating the adventures of a couple Northerners on the Mississippi. Hope I got the story factual enough. Best wishes Herbert Huckleberry

• Max Reif (8/22/2005 12:44:00 PM) Post reply

Ahoy, mate, from a veteran who has sailed the length and breadth of the Mississippi, New Orleans to St. Paul! And a lovely journey it was, too! (I worked as a deck hand on towboats for a couple mont ... more

• Courtney Kane (8/22/2005 11:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

certain excitement we probably can do wi ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/22/2005 10:49:00 AM) Post reply

Happy New Year, Matt, and is there a dif ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
  • Ryley Wooton (8/22/2005 3:08:00 AM) Post reply

hello everyone im looking for the name of a poem. its about a girl who is riding in a car with some boys and the car gets into an accident. she wakes up in the hospital and she knows she's going to die so she tells the nurse to tell her parents that she's sorry. the girl dies. then the nurse say's she cant because the people in the other car were her parents. if you know the name of this poem or who it was written by please tell me. thanks.

• Shiraz Ray (8/21/2005 11:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hello,
    I am Shiraz from India and fairly new to the pristine art of poetry. I have started with Ezra Pound in recent times and would love to know something about his poem entitled 'Cino', which appeared to me as an autobiographical sketch. Did I get that right or was it meant to convey some entirely different thoughts? Would like some light thrown.

Thanks,
    Shiraz

• Michael Shepherd (8/22/2005 5:04:00 AM) Post reply

Perhaps Max will bear me out on this: 'Hugh Selwyn Mauberley' is regarded as Pound's most 'revealing'poem, if not his most indirectly 'autobiographical' - in that it sets out the poetic 'persona' he s ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/22/2005 4:12:00 AM) Post reply

That's a very auspicious start, Shiraz! The general 'official' view about Pound has been that, OK, he influenced Eliot with his world view of poetry, but wasn't so good a poet.. too full a head, perha ... more

• Max Reif (8/21/2005 11:32:00 PM) Post reply

Dear Shiraz, Hello and welcome! I did not know that poem. I looked it up and felt it not to be *basically* autobiographical, because I once studied Pound, a little. I remembered that he was fond of ... more

[Hata Bildir]