Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • ***** ***** (5/2/2005 9:35:00 PM) Post reply

I think we can all agree that there is bad poetry. Topic for discussion perhaps?

• mother baxter (5/2/2005 9:23:00 PM) Post reply

why dont you just write poetry forget about the rules, there are no rules, they just write poetry, good or bad poetry

• ***** ***** (5/2/2005 4:55:00 PM) Post reply

I want to iterate the phrase that a good friend said to me today... 'the poetry straightjacket'.. I think it just about covers the restrictions of any standard form. Sx

• Andy Konisberg (5/2/2005 4:10:00 PM) Post reply

I couldn't help but be reminded of Orwell's 'Politics of the English Language' when reading Lamont's remarks. I don't believe in 'rules' per se. Concision of expression and variety (most of the time) , yes. However, I think the line between poetry and prose is eternally blurred, and that is not necessarily a bad thing. Prescriptivism can be a bad thing...although it may be an aid to the individual...it always works better in retrospect e.g. defining 'movements' like 'beat-poetry' or 'the Enlightenment'...whereby 'rules' or 'loose themes' can be, often to a great extent, established. The last notion whereby a poem should just 'be' is the best...one man's poetry is another man's laundry...I wince at the idea of 'good' or 'bad' as general terms because of subjectivity. For example, there are some poets on this site who use metre perfectly but induce sleep in the arbitrariness of the imagery etc. and are judged as 'stylists' rather than upon expression for its own ends...the whole point is to head-tango with rules and hand-waltz with metre...but be able to appreciate a traditional jig and its composition. Feel free to heckle, throw furniture, etcetera. I speak from no 'lofty' position, I am merely throwing a coin into the hat.

• mother baxter (5/2/2005 4:05:00 PM) Post reply

who is mister fry, is he new i know a mary fry with twelve children
    but i know he is back or did he ever leave, was he miss fry or some other female
    that maggie is she from new york, a hard woman sounds like a man i dont
    oh well, someone tell me what you know about henry lawson

• Poetry Hound (5/2/2005 2:12:00 PM) Post reply

I completely agree with this, Lamont. People should park their egos when they post poetry here and remember that criticism of their poetry is not criticism of them as people. The only thing I would add is that there is no objective standard of what constitutes good poetry. That's where the poetry battles will remain. For example, you don't think much of most of the poetry of the last 30 years, while I think there's a lot of fantastic stuff there. But this kind of 'battle' is much better than the name-calling ones we've been experiencing and which have nothing to do with poetry.

• maggie signaigo (5/2/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply

You speak unskillfully: or, if your knowledge be more, it is much darkened in your malice.

• Neil Francis Brooks (5/2/2005 2:36:00 AM) Post reply

Herbie keep up the good work darling 548 BRILLIANT poems you are a genius! been up all night reading your poems.You really should get published your work so original and heartfelt, even tender at times so much wisdom commenting on religion, philosophy, Human nature you now have God like status sheer brilliance also like your dark humour too.Well done Herbie**

• Allan James Saywell (5/2/2005 2:20:00 AM) Post reply

i just had a bowel movement and look what i have, a little maggie
    you almost sound like a man, a little green is showing around your mouth
    do you want me to wipe it for you.my little bum swipe

• maggie signaigo (5/1/2005 11:35:00 PM) Post reply

When one writes poems as often as most others have bowel movements, one should not be surprised if the end result of both events is quite similar.

[Hata Bildir]