Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (7/12/2005 11:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Lamont, about people wanting difficult poems, a little mystery to come back to and dig into. I dont bel; eive it. in my experience everyday readers want to get it all on a first reading, look at Maya Angelou and Niki Giovannis popularity and how often you hear I really liked this poem I could understand it right away? Maybe Kooser will slyly introduce poems of more than Silverstienien simplicity into the weekly diet. P-Snob

• Meg Ustaleer (7/12/2005 1:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I have just found the little rhyme 'Fuzzy Wuzzy' listed among the poems of Elsa Brooks. According to the entry on Ms Brooks she was born in 1987.
    This confuses me, as I have known this rhyme since my childhood in the 1950s.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (7/12/2005 8:09:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Don't think plagiarism in this case. I am sure the poet just did not know how to cite the poet on the page. I also did not post Humpty Dumpty for similar reasons. H

• allan james saywell (7/12/2005 12:15:00 AM) Post reply Stage

poetry snob do a spellcheck on your comments please

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (7/12/2005 12:10:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Lamont, I agree with you. Kooser will publish one poem each week I think and maybe comment. The poems will be chosen so the genral reader can enjoy them without having to have an advanced degree in poetry which is a good idea I think. His point is poems dont have to be difficult to be good but he knows good from bad and wont confuse the two. P-Snob

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (7/11/2005 2:18:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hey check out William Deutschers poems. Hes pretty good, conversational but controled. P-Snob

• Poetry Snob (aka Jefferson Carter) (7/11/2005 2:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Ted Kooser, USA Poet Laurate, is writing a new column about poetry that will soon apear in hundreds of newspapers across the country. Its a great idea whose time has come. Hes trying to get 'ordinary' people to read poetry as a habit. What a great idea! ! ! Now if he can get people to stop writing poetry until theyve actaully read some! ! P-Snob

• ***** ***** (7/8/2005 9:38:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I know the other night I said I wasn't waiting for the phone to ring... funny how it takes a while for one to realise that.. shit! my friend is out there.. I don't like the West.. think I am going to move to another continent soon....

• Jerry Hughes (7/7/2005 5:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Although vehemently disagreeing with acts of terrorism, it's time the wealthy nations of the world realised; this is the third world reacting to centuries of depravation and subjugation. In context the question should be asked, who manufactured the weapons? As ye sow, so shall ye reap?

• Poetry Hound (7/7/2005 6:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

As for deprivation and subjugation, there's more than a little irony in the fact that the terrorists (assuming they are Moslem fundamentalists) come from a culture that thinks it's just fine to depri ... more

• Michael Shepherd (7/7/2005 5:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

True, alas, Jerry - but terrorists seldom kill the generation who have deprived, depraved and subjugated them... as Richard points out...

• Poetry Hound (7/7/2005 12:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

My condolences to all the Londoners here and to the Brits generally.

• Poetry Hound (7/7/2005 12:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

For some reason I hadn't noticed Chris Tusa's poems before today. He has a plain-spoken yet original and intelligent style.

[Hata Bildir]