Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Daniel Tyler (10/15/2005 10:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Has anybody ever read 'A Lover's Envy' by Henry Van Dyke. It is quite superb

Replies for this message:
  • Mary Nagy (10/15/2005 7:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

HAPPY SWEETEST DAY EVERYONE! (It is Sweetest's Day here today.)

• Gol Mcadam (10/15/2005 7:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Help! Does anyone know where I can find an analysis or comment on Dylan Thomas 'Refusal to Mourn the Death, by Fire, of a Child in London'? Maybe I'm thick but I can't make much of it without assistance. Thanks.

• Max Reif (10/15/2005 11:04:00 AM) Post reply

While we've got the subject up, why NOT 'go gentle into that good night'?

• Gol Mcadam (10/15/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks for this M & M. Like MS, I thought it might be 'bardic flubber' but, like MR, I was impressed by some of the imagery. I still don't get it - maybe I shouldn't expect to?

• Max Reif (10/15/2005 8:38:00 AM) Post reply

I love the language of the poem, I simply have had difficulty, ever since the poem was taught in my university, digesting the philosophical statement in the last 2 lines. 'and I must enter again the r ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/15/2005 7:35:00 AM) Post reply

For me, it's close to self-parody of his ... more

• Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (10/15/2005 6:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Have you guys ever thought of writing a poem on food? somebody told me yesterday if i had and i said no. he said; what will you even write about? hamburgers and pizzas? and i replied saying; you are a little punk, i guess you do not know the power of creative thought.

• Max Reif (10/15/2005 8:42:00 AM) Post reply

I have one called 'Gourmet Love Poem' on my page. (It begins with a phoney quote: 'Menus! *That's* where the poetry's at these days! ') I think if you do a site Subject Search on 'food', you'l ... more

• Allan James Saywell (10/15/2005 6:49:00 AM) Post reply

i have written poems about cabbage, croisants and lots of other eating material you just have to find them

• Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (10/15/2005 5:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

how is poetry viewed down there? Over here only folks who love been alone and reading alot of poetry and prose that know the importance of poetry.

• Max Reif (10/15/2005 8:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, yeah, 'down here' (USA) that's true. Last week someone posted a famous essay by poet Dana Goia called, I think, 'Does Poetry Matter', and Goia's answer, in America, was basically 'no'-that poet ... more

• Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (10/15/2005 5:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

when the time comes, i will invent a car that travels more than far, i would go the forest called life, where i would be the eagle and the snakes will be my prey, where i would be feared by many because of my resilience, i would go to the tortoise and come into terms with him but be watchful of his tricks, i would make a way where monkeys do not have to jump from tree to tree.i will do little things that will turn out to be great philosophies and make my reign worth while

• Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (10/15/2005 5:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i eat poetry, i drink poetry, ilive poetry cause it teaches, it inspires, it educates, it opens doors. it is the write words in the write order.

• Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (10/15/2005 4:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

i read a book that said poets are fools and fools are poets. since i was on the opposing side it resulted into a fight between myself and someone. what do you think?

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/15/2005 4:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

there will be some chinese people looking at the poem hunter site in the next couple of weeks, perusing the poetry on my recommendation makes me glad those little ditties i put on here regarding confucius says are gone i hope they are impressed with the work of various poets on poem hunter
    i have been offered an invitation to visit china of which i am well pleased

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/15/2005 6:35:00 AM) Post reply

Allan if you go we will have to co-ordinate things so we can meet at my brother's house. We will live next to the pantry and it is VERY unlikely that we will ever come back. H

• Sandra Osborne (10/15/2005 6:22:00 AM) Post reply

And you have one to visit the good? Ol USA Too! !

• Michael Shepherd (10/15/2005 5:11:00 AM) Post reply

Let a million flowers bloom.

• Poetry Hound (10/14/2005 10:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The new Nobel Prize winner has only 6 poems on poemhunter. So here's another one.

Before They Fall

Before they fall
    The obese stars
    Dumb stones dumb lumps of light

Before they gasp before they

Before they gasp
    And spit out their last blood

Before they dropp before they

Before they drop
    In spikes of frozen fire

Before they choke before they

Before they choke