Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Gol Mcadam (8/19/2005 1:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Does anyone feel they can comment on Sophie Hannah's 'The Norbert Dentressangle Van'? I know it has been hailed as a harbinger of 21st century poetry but wondered why. Thanks.

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (8/20/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Further research suggests that the 'New Generation' poets tend to be performers of their own poetry - which means that a certain slackness in the language can be covered by the performance. It does su ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/19/2005 5:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Omygod she RHYMES... well that's put paid to any chance of fame in the US this last fifty years...oh she's made it to the PH 500 list years ago...yes but with what? a neatly turned standard 'bloody me ... more

• Poetry Hound (8/18/2005 11:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

The thing I admire most about Amberlee Carter's poetry is the seeming effortlessness of her original imagery. Sometimes I read a poem by someone and admire it although I think the images, while original, are ponderous or forced or too self-conscious. Amberlee's images fit right into the flow. They seem effortless

• Max Reif (8/19/2005 6:35:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I've enjoyed some of Amberlee's poems. I've found some stunning things in them. At least, they stunned me.

• Gol Mcadam (8/19/2005 1:31:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Amberlee is a young person with a poetic turn of phrase. I agree with Michael, she could have the makings of a good poet but maturity will be the key here.

• Michael Shepherd (8/19/2005 12:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I had stopped reading Amberlee, feeling that her poetry was all about Amberlee and love, and more for her own age-group to appreciate; but reading 'Swing-Sets' I feel that there's the making of a genu ... more

• Poetry Hound (8/19/2005 11:58:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Well, that's interesting. I wasn't reall ... more

• allan james saywell (8/18/2005 4:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

WELL FORCED RHYME FOR ME IS WHEN MY MOTHER USED TO STAND OVER ME WITH A BIG STICK AND MAKE ME RECITE NURSERY RHYMES

• Michael Shepherd (8/18/2005 4:03:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Dear sinners against the fair name of Poetry -

two things:

a) there's a facility on the Home Page for telling PH it's too slow;

b) you can make yourself an Adobe e-book so that your poems don't disappear into cyberspace forever like happened last year.

and -take care out there!

• Pradeep Dhavakumar (8/18/2005 4:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Hi All,

I have two questions on which I need your guidance/suggestions.

1) On forced rhymes: Apart from sentence inversion what else is forced rhyme? I understand something like uncommon paring of words like I revolved is considered forced, but I revolved still does make sense. And I don’t understand why a creative medium like poetry is disallowed to create new pairs. And also what is forced for one may not be forced for another. In that case there is no CLEAR definition for forced rhyme. Am I right in my understanding?

2) About the tense: When you write about the past, what is the best tense to write in? Could I write about the past in present tense without giving a clue to the reader that it is about the past? Like can I write now, I sit on my mother’s lap listening to the brave adventures of Tarzan. In what tense are childhood/past poems normally done?

Thanks,
    Pradeep.D

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/19/2005 6:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Even partial sentence inversion is acceptable if 'supported' by its 'justification', say an especially funny line or similar.I think you are correct that there can not be a clear definition, it all co ... more

• Michael Shepherd (8/18/2005 4:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

On past tenses: so few children in some countries (Britain and Argentina for a start) are actually taught grammar rather than usage these days, that ESL teachers find themselves having to waste much t ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Hailie Barker (8/18/2005 5:56:00 AM) Post reply Stage

hi everyone. i've just read Seamus Heaney 'Selected Poems' and loved it. i recommend it to Heaney fans. love hailie x

• Max Reif (8/18/2005 12:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Just went to the pharmacy to pick up some cough syrup for my wife. A friend was waiting for a prescription. He was excited about a book he had-ACTS OF LIGHT, THE LIFE AND POEMS OF EMILY DICKINSON! !

He was thrilled by the ecstasy of her poems, as I was yesterday, researching my stanza.

I told him about our corpus, -lowering my voice for the word 'boobs' as we stood in line together. Told him I'd share our little experience with y'all.

The Beat goes on!

• Allan James Saywell (8/17/2005 11:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

well i'm a major player in the school of life i have played the game for nearly six decades that is where i draw my inspiration from i live my poetry
    I see my poetry i am a major in the skill of survival
    And i am as mad as a cut snake

• Matthew Pearson (8/18/2005 10:01:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Do you look into the flames of a fire and believe you are back in the middle ages?

• Max Reif (8/17/2005 7:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I never saw this poem before today. Just discovered it poetry-essay-hopping. I find the idea so delightful. The poem really creates a world. I dunno about where it goes with that world, but I just love to think of the nouns standing around, etcetera. Language is certainly alive!

PERMANENTLY

by Kenneth Koch

One day the Nouns were clustered in the street.
    An Adjective walked by, with her dark beauty.
    The Nouns were struck, moved, changed.
    The next day a Verb drove up, and created the Sentence.

Each Sentence says one thing ­­ for example, 'Although it was a dark rainy day when the
    Adjective walked by, I shall remember the pure and sweet expression on her face until the day I
    perish from the green, effective earth.'
    Or, 'Will you please close the window, Andrew? '
    Or, for example, 'Thank you, the pink pot of flowers on the window sill has changed color recently
    to a light yellow, due to the heat from the boiler factory which exists nearby.'

In the springtime the Sentences and the Nouns lay silently on the grass.
    A lonely Conjunction here and there would call, 'And! But! '
    But the Adjective did not emerge.

As the Adjective is lost in the sentence,
    So I am lost in your eyes, ears, nose, and throat­­
    You have enchanted me with a single kiss
    Which can never be undone
    Until the destruction of language.

• Allan James Saywell (8/17/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

i just made a comment on a poet on this site just a little bit of truth
    and suddenly the comment disappeared so much for freedom of speech
    he prides himself on his ability according to him for the critic to be honest
    well i was honest went to his bio he comes from washington, say no more

• Michael Shepherd (8/18/2005 4:41:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Well the first eight words give the game away, don't they?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/17/2005 5:48:00 PM) Post reply Stage

From Washington yes, but not Washington DC. The clowns live in the latter, in the former the brains tend to rust since they have a prolonged rainy season. Out of 365 days,45 are not cloudy/drizzly. It ... more

To read all of 3 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]