Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Dee Maguire (11/1/2005 10:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hi everyone Im new here and slowly getting through all of your most poems, they are so good.Ive recently wrote my own poem and I would apprecait it if you could give me your honest opinion.

Thanx

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 11:10:00 AM) Post reply

Welcome, Dee. But honestly, since you ask: it's like wandering through a cemetery, seeing the freshly dug graves, the fresh flowers on old graves... you know that every one of them is a huge huge even ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 9:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Now for something more Forum-related. Did anyone notice the story about Britney Spears - newly Jewish thanks to Madonna - being commissioned to write kids' stories? What do you think about celebrities writing 'just because they can'? Be honest. Anyone read any that are really good?

• Rookie Richard George (11/2/2005 5:20:00 AM) Post reply

From my side of the pond, not all 'celebrities' are bad writers - Stephen Fry (British comedian and actor) is a fine writer. So is Amelia Bullmore - a British actress who's played (among others) com ... more

• Rookie Poetry Hound (11/1/2005 2:57:00 PM) Post reply

Everyone thinks they can write a children's book, just like everyone thinks they can write poetry.

• Rookie Max Reif (11/1/2005 2:11:00 PM) Post reply

They say that Jamie-Lee Curtiss' are really quite good. I don't remember reading any celebrities' childrens' stories, so far. Guess I haven't been curious enough. You just evaluate their merits, the ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 10:15:00 AM) Post reply

Hey, Sherrie, at least you're honest! A ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 9:18:00 AM) Post reply

I'll offer the first take. Viggo Morten ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 9:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Hello hunters, I hate to get tech-y on such a beautiful Tuesday, but does anybody know how to find recent comments posted to your poems w/o checking each one that's been read? It's fine with ten or so poems but now it's downright silly, and I don't want to miss anybody. Thanks in advance for any tips!

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/3/2005 12:06:00 PM) Post reply

aaahh, I see I'm not alone. Max, I'll take your suggestion and bug the web-spinners.. or maybe take Andrew's tip & hit my site every five minutes until I'm NUMBER ONE, BABY!

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 4:53:00 AM) Post reply

This is a bit weird - there seemed to be this facility at one time - confusingly, 'comments' in one place got the commonts BY you, 'comments' on your stats page got the comments ON you - but I can 't ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (11/1/2005 11:25:00 AM) Post reply

Yeah, the mgt wrote me some months back that they're workin' on it. It would be nice to have an update. If you e-mail them about it, you might have to be a little 'direct' in saying you really need th ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 11:03:00 AM) Post reply

Go to your poems and hit those marked 'N ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/1/2005 10:55:00 AM) Post reply

I don't think there is a way Lori. It s ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (10/31/2005 10:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i wrote a poem the other day on Austalian race mare 'Makybe Diva' she has just won the Melbourne cup for a record third time in a row she is now the greatest AusTrAlian race horse since PHARLAP

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (10/31/2005 9:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

a lengthy interview with William Stafford:

www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/s_z/stafford/interview.htm

• Rookie - 7 Points Marcy Jarvis (11/1/2005 2:26:00 AM) Post reply

great interview. I was especially interested in what he had to say about how he didn't involve his family in his writing. He seems very sanguine about that. I also was curious about how he thought A ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (10/31/2005 12:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's an unusual word usage site to bookmark - http: //www.doubletongued.org/ It's called the Double-Tongued Word Wrester: A Growing Dictionary of old and new words from the fringes of English. For example: Share Of Throat n. the proportion of the beverage industry’s sales belonging to a specific brand or manufacturer.

• Rookie - 150 Points Marcy Jarvis (10/31/2005 6:00:00 AM) Post reply

I'm stuck on pocketbook and flawn and it couldn't help me with either of those, but thanks.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (10/30/2005 9:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i write under a couple of alter ego's on poem hunter but i still find it hard to decide which poems to allow my charactors to have i find it's like having duel personalaties after a while you become distant from them they start to assume personalities of there own one of my charactors i dont like him at all

• Rookie - 782 Points Jerry Hughes (10/30/2005 5:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

Greetings all. This hasn't anything to do with the current discussion, but to tell you I'll be off-air from this afternoon (Melbourne time) , until the morning of Tuesday, November 8.

I'm off to Queensland, to visit my eldest son Mark, who was diagnosed with Parkinsons some time ago. But it seems the current regime of medication he's on, isn't doing what its supposed to.

The dread fear of any parent is, one of their children proceeding them to the great unknown. However, I'll take your good wishes and pass them on. God knows, Mark needs every good wish he can get. Thanks, Jerry

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (10/30/2005 3:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I would be interested to see what anyone else might want to comments under Gershon Hepner's just-posted poem, 'lovetimes'.
    I found the poem, and Lawrence Pertillar's comment previous to the one I just made, very interesting.

• Rookie - 7 Points Allan James Saywell (10/30/2005 5:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I found it interesting Max so i wrote a poem about it i love inspirational poems they make me hungry and juice up my creative juices which in turn touches my gastric juices which makes me hungry, just ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (10/30/2005 3:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Will someone please explain to me, without condescending, if possible, what the Stafford poem is doing and is not doing? As you would a student of yours, if you were a poetry teacher? I'd really appreciate it.

• Rookie - 7 Points Marcy Jarvis (10/31/2005 6:07:00 AM) Post reply

Stafford was a pacifist. I got this quote from his bio on AmericanPoems: 'I keep following this sort of hidden river of my life, you know, whatever the topic or impulse which comes, I follow it alon ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (10/31/2005 4:20:00 AM) Post reply

I'm not suggesting that this is Stafford's 'message' here, but perhaps his awareness (and was this one of his 'poetry teaching' poems, directly or indirectly, for poets?) : There's a beautiful dic ... more

[Hata Bildir]