Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (5/30/2005 8:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mary nagy i find you to be very honest, if i get a comment from mary nagy
    i am pleased about that piece of work

Replies for this message:
    • Mary Nagy (5/30/2005 9:04:00 PM) Post reply

Ok, I do appreciate that but please.....let's not give me too much credit. I am honest, yes. But, my true knowledge of poetry only covers my 'likes' and 'dislikes'. I can't claim anything more than ... more

• Allan James Saywell (5/30/2005 8:50:00 PM) Post reply

sonja my little wench, when you kick the bucket or die, send me your work
    i will see if anyone is interested, i give you a bit of advice
    you have to present your work in a situation where it can be read by people
    who want to read your poetry, dont publish or try to get published
    till your work is excepted by top poetry outlets that allow you to be read by serious poetry readers, i saw a book with the complete works of banjo patterson
    and henry lawson in a saint vincent de-paul shop for five bucks
    still want to get published, just keep writing your poetry if you enjoy it
    if people enjoy it they will read it, get your satisfaction out of that

• Mary Nagy (5/30/2005 8:12:00 PM) Post reply

I couldn't agree more Sherrie! ! I think there are a lot of good poems posted here...of course there are also poems I don't care for. I think poetry is such a 'personal opinion' type of thing that one poem may be totally garbage to me but somebody else may find it very moving. That's the beauty of it. We've all got such diverse backgrounds and lives that the spectrum of beauty is very broad. I think it's wrong to give negative comments when you know the person wrote from their heart. I will admit to leaving a negative comment once or twice when I knew the poet was purposely posting a certain poem to hurt or insult somebody else on this site...to me that's just childish.(and I've discussed it personally with that poet) I think there should be room on this site for everyone that wants to post poetry and also room for people to let others know when their poetry has reached them in a positive way. I wish more people commented. I think some people here intimidate others and make them feel afraid to put their thoughts out there for fear of being criticized about their comment. That's just crazy. We shouldn't be afraid to be 'kind' to eachother. I don't care who says my comments are a waste of time or a 'useless critique'. I like telling people when I enjoy their work. If I don't enjoy it, they'll never know... why should they? Sincerely, Mary

• Raynette Eitel (5/30/2005 7:51:00 PM) Post reply

Well, that having been said, then I could write my grocery list and call it a poem and you would not quarrel with me? I don't believe it. A piece of writing is not a poem just because the writer says it is. My grandson loves to pound on the piano. He says it is his 'music.' Not yet it isn't! People who have a real love for poetry need to have some skills in writing. Throwing words at a computer and making them into stanzas does not make them a poem. I have no need to hurt someone's feelings, but I can't comment honestly on something that is poorly written, misspelled, and trite. If we don't have standards as poets, then we do ourselves a disservice.

• ***** ***** (5/30/2005 5:58:00 PM) Post reply

Tell me Allan, oh great teacher.. where do I go to get my work published..? tell me, oh great teacher, where should I go.. you obviously know so much... please tell us all, oh great teacher, where we should go to publish...... I AM LISTENING... with major interest

• Allan James Saywell (5/30/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply

you are a poet or your not a poet, you can teach poetry but you might still not be a poet, you can teach what makes a poem, but not have the gift to produce a
    work of art, so be it you can even discuss poetry and appreciate it
    teaching it does not make you good at it

• Raynette Eitel (5/30/2005 2:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

But Jefferson, not everything entered on these pages is poetry. We are not playing The Emperor's New Clothes here. When I say, 'Now this is a POEM! ' that is the highest compliment I can pay...and it probably also means, I have read a whole lot of junk before I got to that one. But again, I would probably never say 'This is not a poem' unless I really softened the blow first. Gotta use the rating button more often, I guess!

• Mary Nagy (5/30/2005 3:12:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with you Raynette. You really shouldn't have to worry that your comment isn't 'worded' exactly how somebody else would have worded it. If it is a compliment for you to say 'Now this is a POE ... more

• Raynette Eitel (5/30/2005 12:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I think there are many poets here who do not know how to critique. One person told me that what I had was so poor (to paraphrase) that I should get a hobby because I certainly was not a poet! Since I am published in some fine places and have won many contests, I know that to be untrue...but still, it is not a concrete criticism. Be explcit in what works or doesn't work. Start with just one thing you might like about the poem...and work on how the poet gets his message. Never, never attack the message. When I see a particularly offensive poem, I just go on to another.

• ***** ***** (5/30/2005 4:50:00 PM) Post reply

Mary, that would be fine if we were dealing with rational human beings.. but clearly, we are not...

• Mary Nagy (5/30/2005 3:14:00 PM) Post reply

There will always be the few who feel the need to 'knock you down a few notches'. I just ignore them and keep on writing. I don't know why anyone would feel the need to insult somebody else's work h ... more

• ***** ***** (5/30/2005 12:39:00 PM) Post reply

There are only a few people here who critique in that manner, and I would suggest you ignore them.. they will not stop their silly antics and it is pointless trying to express reason to them.

• Neil Francis Brooks (5/29/2005 10:45:00 AM) Post reply

What discussion?

• Neil Francis Brooks (5/29/2005 10:44:00 AM) Post reply

Still no intellect here i see just the same jerk offs playing games alias the jesters more names than sense.

[Hata Bildir]