Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Bill Smith (10/12/2005 8:30:00 AM) Post reply

favourite movies, i love French cinema, cannot say when my love affair with it began but a long time ago hence two of my favourites are French, Jean DeFlorette and Diva, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with Spencer Tracy, Remember the Titans to name but a few..music.60's Soul and Motown..Northen Soul

• Michael Shepherd (10/12/2005 5:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

...and if you haven't forgotten about poetry, what do you make of Don Share (poetry editor of Harvard Review etc ha) reading his ultimate prose-yawn-poem 'A Drop in the Bucket', selected by Pinsky, on Slate online WashPo? Musick, mesick, usick?

Replies for this message:
  • Zeze Zemira (10/11/2005 5:19:00 PM) Post reply

Hiya, Adam Sandler is good i must admit.I saw him in '50 First Date' and i couldnt just stop laughing.Was talikin with my friends abt it, i tink aside entertaining us in that film, he passed a msg, which is, true love for anything directs strenght, thought, drive and vision.i would love to watch more of his moveis. if anyone can offer me a list i will be too glad.
    zeze

• Ernestine Northover Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2005 4:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'd just like to thank Andrew K for his kind suggestions on one of my poems, I agree with him and have changed the lines as best as I am able without losing the rhyming. Any comments I have had from everyone have been very encouraging, lovely, humourous and constructive and I appreciate them all very much. Thanks to Mary. Sally, Herbert, Uriah, Peter, David, Gordon, Rebekka, Egal, Tamara, Bill, Tasha, Ghada, Raynette, Cecelia, Don, Sam, Ramadan, Kelly, Courtney, John K, Amanda, Max, Phoebe, Wanda and Joseph, I hope I haven't missed any of you out. Your a great bunch! Sincerely Ernestine Northover.

• sheila knowles Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2005 4:25:00 PM) Post reply

Favourite movies: The princess Bride, mermaids, I am sam, anything with jack Nicholson or robert de Niro and my claim to shame......I've seen Grease 64 times...I was in love with Knickey as a child...what can I say? ! !

• Alice Vedral Rivera Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2005 3:19:00 PM) Post reply

Favorite movies: Some Like It Hot, Last Tango in Paris, Closely Watched Trains, Henry and June. I like to make love to Enigma, Sade, Dead Can Dance; unwind to Sarah Vaughn; meditate to Bach; write to Mozart; to raise my energy level Beach Boys and Led Zepplin.

• Richard George Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2005 2:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Another favourite movie of mine is Wings Of Desire by Wim Wenders - which begins with a man's hand writing a poem in German: 'Als der Kind Kind war...' Does anyone know of other films which incorporate poems? Cinema and poetry could cross-fertilize...

• ***** ***** (10/11/2005 5:11:00 PM) Post reply

Though cheesy, I think 'Shakespeare in Love' had some funny quirks about how Shakespeare may have come to his odes (very much light hearted hypotheses) .

• Max Reif Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2005 8:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Films about poets? 'The Dead Poet's Society' that Michael S mentioned, of course...any others? Ah, 'Il Postino', about Neruda...

• Richard George Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2005 5:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Any film by Mike Leigh, especially Naked (1993) . His actors improvise the script - which makes them the scriptwriters, in my view anyway.

• Max Reif (10/11/2005 7:30:00 AM) Post reply

That's good to hear about, Richard. I don't think I know of Mike Leigh. I'll check Netflix for his movies.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (10/11/2005 2:59:00 AM) Post reply

MP must be spending most of his waking hours in the movie theatres.
    Goood films to watch:
    Deadly Pursuit
    Most Wim Wenders films
    All Heinz Ruehmann films.
    Film of the decade for me Witness. If I could find the right plastic surgeon and become the world's top hypnotist I would be stalking Kelly McGillis.
    After all, if she kissed Harrison Ford she'd be smitten with me, maybe even without hypnosis.
    Contrary to some untoward thoughts anticipated, it's NOT (just) because I am a breast man.
    Best wishes,
    H (jr) who would be an Amish if they could drive cars.

[Hata Bildir]