Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Lori Boulard (11/12/2005 12:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

oooh, I just LOVE logging on to find our happy family playing together SO nicely. Such love in the air. Sherrie...anybody...can you post a personal favorite from JC's new book so we all can get a glimpse? I for one am curious...especially now!

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/12/2005 12:26:00 PM) Post reply

Definition of MATRON: 'A woman who acts as a supervisor or monitor in a public institution, such as a school, hospital, or prison, especially one with big hooters.'

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/12/2005 11:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jefferson Carter Male,62, United States (11/12/2005 11: 04: 00 AM)
    (This massage was posted as a reply to that message)
    Marcy, don't be such a prickly bitch! ! Of course, you're talking to Michael, and to me, and to everyone on this forum. JC

To post a reply to this message, click here

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/12/2005 11:09:00 AM) Post reply

OK JC, serious answer: is 'derivative' standing in for 'written for readers with the same cultural background' which is surely OK? And is 'innovative' the term for 'experimental' when it is accepted? Isn't e.e.cummings a good figure to choose for this discussion?

• Rookie Daniel Tyler (11/12/2005 10:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

What criteria does poemhunter.com base the top 500 poets and poems on?

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/12/2005 12:25:00 PM) Post reply

Daniel, Michael's right, and that 'list' is quite a victim of tampering or just plain bad logic. Besides, there is a difference between the most popular poets and the best poets, the latter being far ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/12/2005 10:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Oh Dan Dan, it's a can-can of squirmy wormies.. the formula is a X b X c X y where a is the number of hits each day, b is the current number of ratings, c is the current rating-figure, and y is the x ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/12/2005 10:29:00 AM) Post reply

I thought it was 'hits' but I don't really know cause some of the poems don't have many hits at all.............who knows. I think it's much better to just ignore both of the lists. (Save your sanit ... more

• Rookie Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey (11/12/2005 6:42:00 AM) Post reply

hi, micheal its Austine. I think you should give a second thought to it was it really the apple?

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/12/2005 4:04:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks, Jerry. I didn't know that one. Incidentally, are her 'books' preserved in some library?

• Rookie - 782 Points Jerry Hughes (11/12/2005 12:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Movers, A J S and Shakers, another superb Emily Dickinson gem, enjoy it with me:

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
    I shall not live in vain;
    If I can ease on life the aching,
    Or cool one pain,
    Or help one fainting robin
    Unto his nest again,
    I shall not live in vain.

• Rookie - 782 Points Allan James Saywell (11/12/2005 12:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A SUPERB PIECE MY YOUNG BUCCANEER SIMPLE BUT EDUCATIONAL WITH A CERTAIN BEAUTY IT WAS SAID THAT SHE MADE HER OWN BOOKS FOR HER POETRY I WISH I HAD ONE IT WOULD BE WORTH OWNING

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/11/2005 6:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'I didn't know an apple could sexually motivate me'..that's exactly what Eve said to me when I interviewed her for the Eden Ecological Review...
    JT, what our little banter has established is that Frost has more humour and hidden jokes and allusions than I had given him credit for, and that as you might expect with a poet, he has pre-empted his commentators by being self-aware -he knows that apples stand for physical as well as mental and emotional experiences, the very stuff of poetry. The whole extended metaphor of the poem becomes more and more enjoyable. That's what poetry's about, and 'After...' is his life's metaphor. One thing it's not is a revelation of psycho-sexual sickness.
    Did you miss the exquisite joke that the sheet of ice through which he sees a distorted world, apples and 'grass', was made by the *frost*? He's way ahead of us!

• Rookie J.T. Best (11/11/2005 7:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

It wasn't the apple on the tree that got Adam in trouble, it was the tomato on the ground. Think about it, that little diddy applies to our fiery exchange here in an unequovical sort of way. Cheers, J ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/11/2005 5:04:00 PM) Post reply

i didn't know an apple could sexually motivate me i took a bite out of a big red one this morning and bingo i'm going to have a crack at moms apple pie now

[Hata Bildir]