• Allan James Saywell (10/30/2005 2:48:00 PM) Post reply

just having my bowl of fluoride my bowl of oats Melbourne cup tomorrow i
    could finish in the lilly patch drunk and disorderly

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

A Ritual To Read To Each Other

If you don't know the kind of person I am
    and I don't know the kind of person you are
    a pattern that others made may prevail in the world
    and following the wrong god home we may miss our star.

For there is many a small betrayal in the mind,
    a shrug that lets the fragile sequence break
    sending with shouts the horrible errors of childhood
    storming out to play through the broken dyke.

And as elephants parade holding each elephant's tail,
    but if one wanders the circus won't find the park,
    I call it cruel and maybe the root of all cruelty
    to know what occurs but not recognize the fact.

And so I appeal to a voice, to something shadowy,
    a remote important region in all who talk:
    though we could fool each other, we should consider-
    lest the parade of our mutual life get lost in the dark.

For it is important that awake people be awake,
    or a breaking line may discourage them back to sleep;
    the signals we give-yes or no, or maybe-
    should be clear: the darkness around us is deep.

William Stafford

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 9:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

The Poem 'Notice What This Poem is Not Doing' by William Stafford, is not using the 'I' but I do not think that anyone would accuse him of not 'owning' this poem. Why is that?

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (10/30/2005 11:41:00 AM) Post reply

Willliam Stafford - what a magnificent life, what poetry! I knew nothing of him. Could someone post his 'greatest poem of the century' for us? I guess 'Notice...' comes out of his writing exercise a ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 9:58:00 AM) Post reply

Let's assume that people will give this some thought and answer...

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 9:55:00 AM) Post reply

I'm not able to answer your question, but (assuming no one else answers) I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 9:38:00 AM) Post reply

I'm finding a lot of juicy stuff on the Forum in out-of-the-way places: replies to replies to replies.
    Reminds me of eating a chicken, sucking out the marrow and the little, chewy things stuck in the interstices of bones...

• Marcy Jarvis (10/30/2005 8:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

They surely don't say purse.

• Max Reif (10/30/2005 8:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

Do yall have any feelings of thoughts on whether it's possible to write too many '1st-person' ('I did this', 'I felt that') poems?

I usually write 'from my own experience'. I was rather charmed to write to Mr. Stephen Parnell once, expressing sympathy for the plight of his character in a narrative poem, assuming his character (the poem was in 1st person) was himself-He wrote back that he'd made it all up, or written a poem based on a newspaper article or something.

Was wondering whether I should make efforts to 'get out of myself' more, be more objective.

In fact, just posted a piece on the subject, called 'Trying To Keep Myself Out of My Poems'...

To read all of 8 replies click here
  • Mary Nagy (10/30/2005 6:56:00 AM) Post reply

Sherrie,
    I wish you allowed messages! I think you'll see this here...I really was touched my your message. Thank you so much. It's always great to hear when something you write touches somebody and what you wrote about your son....I was moved. Thank you. It means alot to think something I've written reached somebody. Sincerely, Mary

• Allan James Saywell (10/30/2005 6:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

is that why english soccer teams are so violent they drink tap water
    that has been treated with FLURIDE

• Ernestine Northover Rookie - 1st Stage (10/30/2005 6:30:00 AM) Post reply

It seems Allan, that this flouride is beginning to seep into the annals of the Forum, so with this thought, should we start worrying! ! ! ! ! ! Sincerely Ernestine

• Michael Shepherd (10/30/2005 5:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think All Saints' Day has got to me this morning...going back a few posts...Max, Jefferson, Adam...I drafted the article on Poemhunter simply out of gratitude. So if any of you have friends, acquaintances, small poetry mags, etc who might like to hear of Poemhunter, you're welcome to press PH management for the missing details, adapt the article, add the fact that you yourself will be found on it as contributor...whatever, Gonzo... though whether the 'avant-garde' would want to contribute to PH is arguable, layout-wise or otherwise...anyway, feel free. I have reminded Teymur, Emilie, and Collette indirectly I guess, that the article is in suspense awaiting their infill.

• Michael Shepherd (10/30/2005 4:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

The quotation mentions Stalin and Lenin - who else do you want to speak for Communism? They've taken over our finest houses in London, our prostitution industry, and now our football team(s) ... 'Rich Communism', whose ill-gotten gains (excuse the phrase) have been made by grinding the face of the poor in Russia to spend their riches in the world's capitals of kapital..etc...

But shouldn't we be more worried about the oestrogen accumulating in our water supply, slowly evoluting men into infertile men-women with secondary bodily changes like pecs not acquired by gymwork? Is the solution (so to speak) to add testosterone to our public water supply, even if it evolutes women into Mrs Thatchers, while retaining handbags (or for American readers, 'purses' which however for Europeans has other intimate connotations...) ?
    Is this a conspiracy far more devastating for the human race than a few million deaths byfluoride? (Australian papers please copy, as we used to say in the press.)

• Marcy Jarvis Rookie - 1st Stage (10/30/2005 5:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

By the way, Americans say 'pocketbook' more than 'purse', at least in the NE, where purse does still retain its British 'flavour'.

• Michael Shepherd Rookie - 1st Stage (10/30/2005 5:44:00 AM) Post reply

Actually, I have the sense that Britain is about to go into a more serious phase of Nanny State v. scientific truth debate. The US must be finding the same? Fr'instance, where to ban smoking? Ultimate ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 Rookie - 1st Stage (10/30/2005 5:15:00 AM) Post reply

I will refrain from going into this as I know that you, Michael, can see what is behind the fluoridation issue. Yes hormonal disruption is widespread, Nature does cope with this rather well, toxins a ... more

• Ikazoboh Austine Jeffrey Rookie - 1st Stage (10/30/2005 4:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

yes micheal, i agree with you. But after ... more

[Hata Bildir]