Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Mary Nagy (11/17/2005 7:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I just wanted to say...Last week in class we were discussing poetry (my teacher HATES poetry) but I had my 'book' of poetry in my bag. I have all my poems in a home-made book (a three ring binder holding all my poems printed out in categories...decorated sorta scrapbooky) ...obviously a homemade effort. But, a woman in my class asked if she could read it....I let her take it home and I have to admit I was REALLY nervous to go to class tonight to see what she thought of my poems. I just wondered if you guys (and gals) here have had similar experiences when you first started sharing your poems 'in person'. I really sweated it out this weekend wondering how stupid is she thinking I am? ? ? What kind of nut am I coming acrossed to her as? ? ? Very stressful! I was so...happy to hear her say her (and her husband) liked my book but, I was suprised how my nerves were crazy at the thought of somebody really sitting down with my soul exposed right in front of them. (I hope this makes sense) . It seemed weird to me since I post here all the time and don't really experience the worries like I did over this past week. Just curious if this was just expected when you start letting people really read your work..........? Sincerely, Mary

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Max Reif (11/18/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's a really touching incident from my PH bio, about 'bringing home' my first, hand-made little book of poems: *** By now, YOUNG MAN GONE WEST was almost finished. A little more writing and a ... more

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/18/2005 6:55:00 AM) Post reply

i avoided all of the anxiety by first submitting poems for publication to which i had no emotional attachment. after those were published, i ventured out to the open mic stages with vulgar, silly bal ... more

• Rookie Alice Vedral Rivera (11/18/2005 12:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I feel the same way Mary. And now my family wants me to start reciting my poetry to them - just thinking about it makes my stomach churn - I've usually been able to get my nieces to recite it (they p ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 8:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Oh don't we all...isn't it weird? It's l ... more

To read all of 5 replies click here
  • Rookie Christine Anderson (11/17/2005 6:04:00 PM) Post reply

Hi everyone. Since this is my first forum post, I don't know if there are other songwriters here, or how you feel about songwriting... but I've written a lot of poems, which I set to music, and I'd like to invite you all to take a listen.

All you have to do is visit the link and turn on your speakers. ~: o)

www.christineanderson.net

~: o) Christine

• Rookie - 780 Points Jerry Hughes (11/17/2005 5:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I'll probably draw flack for this observation, but it seems the tone of, and the language used in the forum has deteriorated, with an overt predilection for the nether regions. I wondered why. Could someone elucidate?

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/17/2005 2:57:00 PM) Post reply

hello sorry i'm late just been reading a poem about some guy who dropped his wait for it, his balls in some wet cement on the walk of fame, dont worry it set real quick and he has left his brains behind

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/17/2005 1:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

morning fruit bats, fruit flys, disillusioned poets and disturbed people who
    think about hanging from telegraph lines just after six in the morning in the
    lucky country there is a little rain about this morning might get my soccer
    ball out and practise might have to kick a bit of English butt

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 10:35:00 AM) Post reply

To their credit, our Oxfam shops sell Fair Trade products. I guess it's the new form of modest charity donations - buying organic and fair trade products for those few cents more. African producers who were initially happy to take the steady supermarket trade (though mange-tout are going out of fashion...) find that there's now a relentless pressure by competing supermarkets to drive producer prices down...and that, in what are by African standards huge one-product farms...aarrgghh.

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (11/17/2005 10:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here are some more great lines from recently submitted poems. There certainly is some real originality and talent on this site.

there are twenty clones of the Archangel Gabriel
    glued to TV screens glazed over and blue
    like some kind of stale, electric doughnut
    strung out on commercial candy
    -from Untitled 2 by Paul Slinski

I grappled with ignorant
    geometries of flight-path
    for the words to describe the future,
    -from Augury by Richard George

like I am a cave
    accepting bats made of memory,
    accepting their flapping as my dream-state.
    -from Visitations And Silence by Lamont Palmer

the bodies of the real estate agents hanging
    upside-down from the telephone wires,
    -from Tucson by Jefferson Carter

i am drier than Wordsworth,
    with his book length poems
    and search for all systems
    -from untitled by Ben Dover (Adam Reynolds)

He always had resembled a bearded gnome.
    Perhaps he’s sitting, malcontent, in someone’s garden.
    Having pulverised the other gnomes.
    -from Brian & the philosophy of 'the cunt' by Andrew Konisberg

His students loved him
    Welcomed the contagion from his hands
    -from For Gordon 1930 - 2005 by Tony Jennett

• Rookie - 150 Points Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 10:39:00 AM) Post reply

These, PH, are, imho, really good, and the sort of metaphorical inspiration that keeps me on this site for a quick steal, despite my deeep greeen envy..congratulations guys, through my grinded teeth.

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/17/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

What is FAIR TRADE COFFEE? If you are interested, read attached:

• Rookie Poetry Hound (11/17/2005 10:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Your next assignment is to research 'shade grown' coffee.

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/17/2005 10:20:00 AM) Post reply

this is from their website: The United States consumes one-fifth of all the world's coffee, making it the largest consumer in the world. But few Americans realize that agriculture workers in the coff ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/17/2005 9:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

just a quick updat on the, you know. My technical staff has the day off (hubby's on a business trip) , so tonight or tomorrow I will convert the updated file(s) to PDF and walk them through lulu.com. If anyone has any further changes, TELL ME TODAY AS THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE. I'm just waiting to hear from John TC, Marcy, but if I don't by end of day today we must move forward as is.
    NOTE: some concern arose earlier re: PH's comments/poems. In the interest of fairness, and at the request of several people, I extended an invite to the subject of those comments/poems, who happily added one for the book (quite nice, actually) to balance out the mix. Just didn't want it to be a surprise.
    Now back to those coffee pictures. Aaaaaahhh.

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/17/2005 1:09:00 PM) Post reply

oh, yes, of course, Ronberge. I must have forgotten to mention that everything will again be on our site for everyone's perusal. And, I would like to get a copy first to make sure it's right before ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/17/2005 11:09:00 AM) Post reply

ah, that's good to hear, and I believe he appreciated the invite. Thanks, PH.

• Rookie Poetry Hound (11/17/2005 10:21:00 AM) Post reply

I urged Bob Gotti to submit poems early on, so I'm glad he finally did. I removed his name from my comment-poems.

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (11/17/2005 7:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

I would like to pick up on Declan and Michael's earlier responses to Sonja's question (whether people post on PH or on the Forum) as to whether this is a community. Declan posed the latter question, and Michael (S.) wrote eloquently about it. I feel this is *definitely* a community. How I got to posting on the Forum was by somehow hearing a poem of mine was being discussed...the poem had some adherents and one strong detractor. I don't know if I knew there WAS a Forum before that (it takes some time for some of us to find our way around this site!) , and at first I merely lurked, open-mouthed in shock that 'I' (well, my poem, my child) was being dissected here. I had no intention of opening my mouth with the seemingly VERY verbal people here, for fear I'd get my foot stuck in it within a few sentences.

But there was 'another guy inside me' whose suppose desire/need of community and love of poetry got me to start sounding off here, and the rest is-well, ourstory.

It's always kind of a marvel how 'people whose faces I've (mostly) never seen' can be such an important reference group, but then we've never seen the Soul either! Sometimes I post a poem or a Forum comment and it spices my morning, because I have to go to work and when I come home for my lunch break,4 1/2 hours later, I get to see responses. The other day I posted two short poems and I *really* didn't know whether they 'said anything', it was kind of a risk to be out there with them. Not that anything is REALLY risked...reputation? ...dear me! And when I clicked and faced 'that moment', there were 4 appreciative comments under each poem, each responding to a different facet. Occasionally, I *don't* get the comments, and then I have to either face the fact that the poem needs work, or accept that I still like it but it's 'ahead of its time' or something.

I definitely carry you folks in my heart. I sometimes feel the same kinds of emotions I feel in a roomful of people. A couple times I've felt the discussion's 'passed me by' or I'm being taken as a 'lightweight'. It may be a bit easier to PRETEND such impasses don't affect my day and mood, and it may be subtle, most of the time, but I think they do.

• Rookie - 7 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (11/17/2005 6:44:00 PM) Post reply

I definitely feel that this is a community - one of which I am glad to be a part. And yes, I appreciate comments but when I don't get any, that's ok too. I don't particularly care for those pesky 'on ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Mary Nagy (11/17/2005 10:57:00 AM) Post reply

Max, I like how you said 'I definitely carry you folks in my heart'. I love that! I feel the same way about this site. No matter how cliche it sounds (I'll admit) this really is like a family. Su ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Lori Boulard (11/17/2005 8:50:00 AM) Post reply

well said, Max. Regarding the Forum, I came here in a similar way, and I dare say it's now like (sorry for choice of simile) my morning coffee. I enjoy all the banter, and very often discover a new ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (11/17/2005 8:45:00 AM) Post reply

I'm reading less these days, and apologi ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Declan McHenry (11/17/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

You are completely correct Max. No need ... more

[Hata Bildir]