Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 6:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I'm tempted in my cynical way, to comment on the Winters Wonderland: tonight we go to the Met to be transported by that aria about art and love sung by Tosca, victimised by political circumstances (...) . Tomorrow we need a plumber, quick as shit. He charges a friggin' fortune for his services. Next week he takes his Significant Udder to the Met on the proceeds -yes, even he has the Highlights DVD; we stay home and forget that next planned visit to the Met...

Replies for this message:
    • Max Reif (11/2/2005 11:19:00 AM) Post reply

I just read that Winters poem. I rather liked the contrasting atmospheres. I can see the Marxist (thought you wrote Max at first, then saw it was Marx) influence, but I don't feel it intrudes. The pro ... more

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 7:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Shep, you are the king of wit around here. I think this comment of yours just begs for a poem by you.

• Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 6:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

OK kids, did I hear the bell for the end of playground break? Back to our study of Anne Winters' poem..you can google it read by the poet, or another if you subscribe to the NY Times and Real player... and google the article on Slate about her under her name, which is a good way in to her world.

She's a great describer, mostly of the Manhattan scene. But she's also twinning this with an old-guard Marxist agenda, so she sets up this poem as Undeserved Wealth flaunting its furs and jewels (aw c'mon Annie, have you smelt the working class in the cheaper Met seats?) supported by the toiling working class down there in the schist (!) .
    So there's a point in the poem where a Shakespeare or a Tolstoy would have raised the view of humanity, where Marx kicks in.

However well worth reading she is, and dare I say, better than some of the kids working their way through cliche to poetry on this site, or should I say, the scum who deserve to be fluoridated outasite?

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 5:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Thanks for your concern. Just wanted to clear that up.

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 5:55:00 AM) Post reply

My comment that Coates’ poem was better than most of the poetry posted here was not mean or insulting towards any individual poet here. But I do think most of the daily avalanche of poetry posted here is unimaginative and cliché. So what else is new?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 2:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Thought of the day:
    'What luck for rulers, that men do not think.' - Adolph Hitler

Vulcano Haines (jr)

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 6:09:00 AM) Post reply

No. I am not trying to be irritating at all. Chomping at the bit I will leave to others but methinks that where Coates/England is welcome one can post anything. It will always be an improvement. I did ... more

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 5:48:00 AM) Post reply

Wow, unless you're intentionally trying to be irritating, I think you might consider giving this subject a rest. I do not detect a chomping at the bit among poets for more discussion on fluoridation.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 4:54:00 AM) Post reply

It was written under the influences and pressures of fighting two battles on fluoridation. One in the state of Queensland, the other in Bellingham, Washington the latter has made the pages of Time mag ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 4:43:00 AM) Post reply

Well, that needs a context.

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 2:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Here is a poem by Anne Winters, who just won the $25,000 Lenore Marshall Prize for the year's best poetry book.

Tosca With Man in Bedrock

The Met's first winter broadcast, Tosca, amberized
    in her ivory court dress, lets fall
    one by one the pure drops of the Vissi d'Arte,
    while the cantilevered mezzanine, underlit,
    bright-eyed in its nests of stoles and fur tippets, hangs
    breathless … Straight down, past sallow platforms, sewer
    outfalls and steam lines, the man in the bedrock
    sidesteps in his worklamp's flattened yellow,

spools out more wire, lowers his radio probe
    to the back of a rust-ridged centenary main
    fed by watersheds in the still half glacial Catskills—

and hears, through bellcurves of pings, each note
    rebound off his shaft of preCambrian schist. Grey, void—
    the Manhattan Schist, laid down too early for fossils.

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 6:31:00 AM) Post reply

I have no idea if this is considered one of her best. I just found it on Slate. But your analysis is intriguing. What I liked about it is the contrast of the earthly opera at the surface and the ping ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 5:36:00 AM) Post reply

So why did you post it anyway, PoHo? Is it an example of her best work? If I understand it correcly, it's a kinda outside-space-time comment on Manhattan? In which case the Met isn't the example I wou ... more

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 10:59:00 PM) Post reply

Poets, tomorrow's Wednesday, middle of the week. Let's get out there and hustle! Get out there and MOVE THOSE POEMS!

• Allan James Saywell (11/1/2005 10:41:00 PM) Post reply

I received a poetry magazine today from America called Poetry today with articles about major living american poets the magazine is run by the International society of poets there is an artical on WD Snodgrass

• Mary Nagy (11/1/2005 8:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ok, I'm posting this in response to Michael's question regarding the 'romantic poetry' and whether spouse reciprocate this idealistic view of the other...etc. etc. I said I was going to ask Todd (my husband) to write me a poem.......figuring he would tell me where to go because he normally teases me about my poetry BUT...while I was in class tonight HE DID IT and I am posting what he wrote. I hope we can be gentle on the 'comments'... :) Keep in mind this is his first poem ever. (I will say I was encouraged to read the title: A Husband's Love (part one) .......hmmm I wonder if I've started something here? Mary

• Mary Nagy (11/2/2005 5:58:00 AM) Post reply

Thanks for commenting on his poem you guys! He tried to act like he didn't care........but he sure was smiling when I told him the remarks and scores. He even commented on his 'next poem...' (he c ... more

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 12:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Here's a question: I read some romantic poems this morning that extolled the beloved and painted a picture of him/her as FAR, almost INFINITELY more beautiful, significant, worthy etc. than the 'mere' lover, who comes off kind of as a speck of dust.

Do you think this attitude 'comes along with the teritory' in Romantic Love? Is is the attitude most poets expressing romantic love in the past have taken? Is romantic love POSSIBLE if one sees oneself as equal to the beloved?

• Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm just thinking about your last line, Max...imagine a 'romantic' poem where you praise the beloved's exquisite taste in choosing to love your own perfectly sublime self!

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 2:09:00 PM) Post reply

Thank you for articulating these additional dimensions of the matter, Michael. Being a dilettante, I can't adequately answer them (I can scarcely spell 'adequately') , but who knows when PoHo or Lamon ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 1:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Since romantic poems are normally written by one party only, and then usually 'before the event', it would be interesting if not unique, to have both parties to the romance/partnership writing of thei ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/1/2005 1:23:00 PM) Post reply

I think the most romantic kind of love i ... more

[Hata Bildir]