Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • (B10Z ) (9/30/2005 12:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Does anyone here like the band Lush? Or the Astros?

Replies for this message:
    • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (9/30/2005 1:22:00 PM) Post reply

i remember Lush. they had some hits on the UK charts about 10 years ago. jesus christ, this came way out of left field.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • (B10Z ) (9/30/2005 12:36:00 PM) Post reply

Here's a poem I just thought of...

Cheese
    Elephant
    Goldfish
    Martha Stewart
    Yeah

What do you think?

• (B10Z ) (9/30/2005 12:35:00 PM) Post reply

The Astros play the Cubs tonight. They have a 2 game lead over the Phillies in the wildcard.

• Poetry bore (9/30/2005 8:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I'm just testing this out.
    Boy, do I have a lot to say!

• Max Reif (9/30/2005 10:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

OK, OK, I can't take the tension! I confess! Poetry Bore is me! Forgive me, forgive me, mea culpa, mea culpa! I did it for a laugh, but you know what? When people started reacting to 'him', saying h ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/30/2005 8:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Although I am entirely cognizant of the facts of today's life in society, I will withdraw from the Dylan spectacle for the one reason that he promoted drugs.
    Anyone who uses drugs is no friend of mine and is not entitled to any of my time. No exceptions either.
    Best wishes
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (9/30/2005 7:14:00 PM) Post reply

All of you are entitled to your opinions.Of course. The old argument about alcohol being a drug doesn't wash at all. There are even specific enzymes that every body produces to deal with alcohol AND ... more

• Poetry Hound (9/30/2005 10:11:00 AM) Post reply

Seems a little extreme to me, Herbert. By that standard, if one is against the use of drugs (just illegal ones, presumably) , does that mean one should not enjoy the writings of Baudelaire, Burroughs, ... more

• Max Reif (9/30/2005 8:35:00 AM) Post reply

I don't know that he promoted them. I consider drugs anathema and harmful, as well, Herbert. The thing is, in some cases a *consciousness* comes through that has nothing to do with drugs. Though a ... more

To read all of 4 replies click here
  • Michael Shepherd (9/30/2005 6:42:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

wow, do I feel well informed now, Andy! I must have missed the Dylan=Lennon exchange, as I missed bits of both programmes. Thanks. I'd add Jacques Prevert even in translation to the honorable list and maybe you would consider some other French lyric-writers. And there are one or two lyricists for musicals whose names I don't know, and who had to write more fluently than song-writers - there's the lyricists of Carousel and Pal Joey for a great start. Did John O'Hara have something to do with Pal Joey or am I dreaming it? That's one that deserves a revival production...
    Anyway, thanks. You're a mine of information. Gold-dust gets in my eyes...

• Max Reif (9/30/2005 7:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'Carousel' was Rodgers and Hammerstein, 'Pal Joey' was Rogers and Hart, I think. Was RIchard Rodgers the lyricist? One of the 'philosophical' questions I discussed with friends after we went away to ... more

• Max Reif (9/29/2005 11:00:00 PM) Post reply

BOB DYLAN EXQUISITE CORPSE:

Jacob tells me, and he's had experience, that if you want to participate, you should SEND ME YOUR NAME, and I'll enlist you in order and SEND THE LINE BEFORE YOUR STANZA to you!

Let's do that, now. I'll TRY to fit in what already came. (I have 5 so far.) If I can't, I'll work with it then. SO...if you want to participate, express your intention in a message to my INBOX here at PH.

from Wikopedia:
    Exquisite corpse is a method by which a collection of words or images are collectively assembled, the result being known as the exquisite corpse or cadavre exquis in French. It is a technique used by surrealists, and is based on an old parlour game called consequences in which players wrote in turn on a sheet of paper, folded it to conceal part of the writing, and then passed it to the next player for a further contribution.

• Max Reif (9/29/2005 10:50:00 PM) Post reply

SONG LYRICS: I don't think so many song lyrics qualify as true poetry. Dylan's do, Leonard Cohen's do, for me. No one else is coming to mind. EXCEPT...I wanted to ask whether people feel 'standards' by, say, Johnny Mercer or Gershwin-or Kurt Weill, do?
    'The very thought of you/and I forget to do/the little, ordinary things that everyone ought to do? ' I like that.
    But tried unsuccessfully to fall in love with 'Imagination', by Mercer:
    'Imagination is funny/it makes a cloudy day sunny/makes a bee think of honey/ just like I think of you..'
    That one never quite made it for me. A little too slick, too clever, not quite devoted enough to truth.
    Now, it may be that we should just call a moratorium on song lyrics altogether, and discuss only no-music poetry, as Poetry Hound, I mean Jefferson, suggests.

• Michael Gessner (9/29/2005 9:42:00 PM) Post reply

I agree with JC-or whomever he might be-one of his many selves. While there are similarities among song lyrics and poetry, and keeping in mind that narrative poetry was often sung, (e.g., 'The Iliad, ' & 'The Odyssey, ') there are significant differences, particularly between what has been traditionally considered 'durable' poetry, and lyrics meant (intended,) to be sung to music, and written so, (composed for this purpose.) Robert Allen Zimmerman, (a.k.a. Bobby D.,) knew this. When an interview asked him if he was a poet or a musician, he replied, 'I'm a song and dance man.' He had it right.

• allan james saywell (9/29/2005 9:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

come on fellow poets lets get behind max with a few lines about the singer poet
    or max and i will combine our limited talents and produce a masterpiece
    you wouldn't like that would you, come on men and woman, the singer had talent
    he will be remembered as a poet and songwriter why dont we do it and post it to him let him know that poetry lives on, in the hearts and souls of human beings
    come on just because my name turns you on doesn't mean you have to turn your back on max who has a poetic heart, do you know that a group of artists started this craze, mister sheperd will tell you all about it, come on carter we want you to contribute as well(we want everybody who is a poet regardless of age)
    you can be a hundred or ten) well i'm off to the Teepee to have a puff

To read all of 1 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]