Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Linda Jenkinson (10/21/2005 9:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

i really enjoy the immediacey of being here...poets of old never had this feedback! ..is immediacey a real word? ?

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/22/2005 3:01:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Although this nitpicker dislikes mis schbelled words I think we enjoy your immediacy here as well. H

• Max Reif (10/21/2005 9:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

today's epiphany: for me the '60s didn't begin until 1971.

• Linda Jenkinson (10/21/2005 9:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

I was just imagining the kind of poetry johnny would write...yet again wondered...why do poets write?

• Mary Nagy (10/21/2005 9:29:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, all kidding aside, I don't honestly call myself a 'poet' but I write exactly for that reason...I have to. I have always needed to write things down whether it was letters, journals, poems....no ... more

• Max Reif (10/21/2005 9:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Johnny Depp probably writes poetry. Usually, poets answer 'because I have to', don't they? I know that whatever I'm doing, it's the writing-or for a period, the painting-that matters most. I mean, ... more

• Mary Nagy (10/21/2005 9:24:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, that's an interesting thought.....I don't really know if he does or doesn't write poetry. I think many people write and nobody ever knows it because they keep it private. (Of course, if my dau ... more

• Linda Jenkinson (10/21/2005 9:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

roxy music girls! ! but yes...jonny is very poetic

• Mary Nagy (10/21/2005 9:18:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, since I'm married I have to say....no, the tux will do. :)) (But thanks for the visual! !)

• Mary Nagy (10/21/2005 9:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, who knows how 'poetic' he is but, really who cares, right? Johnny Depp in a tux....that would be my 'drug of choice'.........

• Linda Jenkinson (10/21/2005 8:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

'love is the drug im thinking of'mmmmmmm bryan ferry in a tux! !

• Mary Nagy (10/21/2005 8:59:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I'm not sure who Bryan Ferry is but Johnny Depp will do.............ok, yup, that'll work! :)

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • t. h. ashbury (10/21/2005 8:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

the netherlands is a model that makes sense, having been there, whcih, i must admit, was an eye opening experience, drove home some simple truths for me. i'd be curious to know if others disagree...

point 1 - it makes policy sense to distinguish between recreation and addiction.

point 2 - the natural vs. synthetic argument obscures what we should be talking about - the harm of our current policy and if anyone has the balls to countenance and effectuate something else.

point 3 - how far does the prison industrial complex in the us have to go - before we the people decide to do something meaningful instead - that is, will we relinquish our fear of a different approach to find a solution?

salut.

point 3 -

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/21/2005 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

why dont we take all the addicts out to devils island issue them with free
    medication set up a rehab on the island dont have any cars ex wives ex husbands or parents or any thing they can damage and see what happens we
    can call it a experiment with free drugs if they happen to say anything
    write it down we can call it beat poetry

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/21/2005 5:32:00 PM) Post reply Stage

lets bring england back perhaps he might explain to all you people about the benefits of being on drugs he seemed to know all about it

• Jerry Hughes (10/21/2005 5:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

For all those who think injecting heroin is just a prank during the growing up porcess, please read my poem Death Of A Daughter. I saw it happen, and witness to the subsequent distruction of this girls family.

Her father, a one-time good friend of mine, blames himself for not being stronger. Her mother lives a miserably cloistered exsistence, trying to find solace through prayer. And failing.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/21/2005 7:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Yes Jerry, I have seen it many times and I also meet the pushers in their fancy cars on the streets. There is in my opinion zero tolerance for illicit drugs, a prerequisite for civilised living.. Bes ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/21/2005 7:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Adam, that was a very interesting commentary from you in response to Shep, just like your previous comments about middle class attitudes in poetry. I saved that Kleinzahler poem when you first posted it, and I much prefer it to Prynne. But between those two extremely different styles, there must be many other contemporary poets whose work deserves admiration. I don't know that they're British or not, but I don't think that matters so much any more in this globablly interconnected world. I agree that there is a lot of shallowness and gimmickery, but it's not limited to the UK. So I'll see your Wendy Cope and raise you a Billy Collins. Some of the contemporaries that I admire, and I'm interested in your opinion on, are Li-Young Lee, Linda Pastan, Lisel Mueller, and Wislawa Szymborska.

To read all of 2 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]