Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Lori Boulard (12/6/2005 8:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

OK, folks. I learned a bit about lulu.com today - mainly that if you order via US Post Office you get the book in ABOUT 1-4 WEEKS! ! So...here's the pitch. I've checked every possible inch of the book, liked it, and made it available for download and purchase (about $7 US) .
    - If you want to download it first and make sure you like the look, etc., feel free.
    - IF YOU WANT A HARD COPY BY CHRISTMAS, ORDER NNNOOOWWWWW WITH EXPEDITED SHIPPING! ! ! IT'S WORTH THE MONEY! ! ! !

If you know of anyone who wants it by Christmas and doesn't 'Forum' please contact them separately.

I've done my very best to get this done right and in time for Christmas; I didn't realize how long the actual process was to get it into my hands!

I hope you all enjoy it. I had a blast doing it; now I want to read much more of contributing - and other - people on 'ole PH.
    Happy Holidays! !
    Lori

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Mary Nagy (12/6/2005 12:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey! I hate to be so impatient..........but What's up with the book? Any word lately? I'm losing hope of getting it before Christmas!

• Rookie Lori Boulard (12/6/2005 3:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mary, I too am getting frustrated w/lulu. I ordered the test around Thanksgiving and still nothing in my mailbox! If it's not there today I'm going to contact someone there and see what's up. It on ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/6/2005 10:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hey, I'm waiting for feedback on my 'halves of the face' game - Condy or any politician you love to hate...you'll learn more in half a minute than they can cover up in an hour's make-up...

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/6/2005 3:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i tried it out, Michael, on one of my own photos. as it turns out, i do have a 'good side'

• Rookie Max Reif (12/6/2005 3:25:00 PM) Post reply

I'm always too tired to think of how to do stuff when I'm online here, lately. Maybe this evening. Just want you to know you're being heard.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/6/2005 5:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

How do my fellow Brits rate Simon Armitage on this site?

• Rookie Richard George (12/6/2005 9:34:00 AM) Post reply

Too demotic for me, but that's the fashion.

• Rookie Declan McHenry (12/6/2005 5:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm no poetry scholar Michael (damn, you noticed) but I've sampled some of his work and I like it. It can be a little hit or miss in terms of ease to read at first passing but it does have a reality ... more

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/6/2005 4:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

In this Christmas season I am reminded of how ye Gods have blessed me.
    I am living here in my adopted country, which ought to be said the other way around as the country adopted me as well (it did take a few years) but I have found that even a Kraut from the Fatherland can become a fair dinkum Aussie.

So I thought it fitting to post my favourite song here, I am positive that Banjo will be listening to anyone's recital and some of his awesome talent will flow into the minds of those who find Waltzing Matilda (both words have a bit of a Teutonic flavour, don't you think, Allan, Jerry, Adrienne et al?) pleasant.
    Enjoy.

Once a jolly swagman camped by a Billabong
    Under the shade of a Coolabah tree
    And he sang as he watched and waited till his billy boiled
    'Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me? '

Down come a jumbuck to drink at the water hole
    Up jumped a swagman and grabbed him in glee
    And he sang as he stowed him away in his tucker bag
    'You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me'.

Up rode the Squatter a riding his thoroughbred
    Up rode the Trooper - one, two, three
    'Where's that jumbuck you've got in your tucker bag? ',
    'You'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me'.

But the swagman he up and jumped in the water hole
    Drowning himself by the Coolabah tree,
    And his ghost may be heard as it sings in the Billabong,
    'Who'll come a-waltzing Matilda with me? '

Explanation of Australian Slang As Used in the Song
    Billabong: A waterhole.

Billy: A can or small kettle used to boil water for tea.

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/6/2005 4:05:00 PM) Post reply

A jumbuck is a sheep, usually a young one. Matilda is old German for Battle. Best H

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/6/2005 6:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I can tell from conversations with visitors and adopted Britons that the idea of colonialism is alive and well, dust, cobwebs and all. Multicultural with an identity and without the judgemental credo ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/6/2005 5:52:00 AM) Post reply

In the charitable spirit of Christmas, I'm happy that songs like this unite the splendid Australian nation in its multicultural glory and self-image and sense of identity, but christ how I loathe the ... more

• Veteran Poet - 1,100 Points Jerry Hughes (12/6/2005 2:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Not that I condone the spending-spree in the name of the infant Jesus, designated Christmas, but as it's the precursor to the end of another year, I'd like to wish all the genuine contributors to the poetry site, and the forum, all they would wish for themselves in 2006.

For me, as I gently glide into my 75th year AD, I say thank you to those who made kind comments about my humble offerings. To those who found them irritating, tedious or boring: You can please please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people, all of the time.

Have a safe and happy festive time with those you love. And may the god you believe in, walk beside you. Fondly, Jerry Hughes

• Veteran Poet - 1,100 Points Richard George (12/6/2005 1:44:00 PM) Post reply

And a really good 2006 to you and your family.

• Veteran Poet - 1,100 Points Mary Nagy (12/6/2005 6:03:00 AM) Post reply

Jerry, what a lovely message! I'm always amazed when some of you guys mention your age! That's one of the things that make the internet and sites like this great.........we're all (almost) ageles ... more

• Veteran Poet - 1,100 Points Michael Shepherd (12/6/2005 4:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

That's a fine message, Jerry. You are one of the shining lights of Poemhunter, apart from being one of the most aggressive pacifists I've met! And may you experience all that you have wished to others ... more

• Rookie Richard George (12/5/2005 2:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

For a good laugh... try this *acrostic* from a school textbook in Pakistan (in today's London 'Daily Telegraph') :

The Leader
    (Anonymous)

Patient and steady with all he must bear,
    Ready to accept every challenge with care,
    Easy in manner, yet solid as steel,
    Strong in his faith, refreshingly real,
    Isn't afraid to propose what is bold,
    Doesn't conform to the usual mold,
    Eyes that have foresight, for hindsight won't do,
    Never back down when he sees what is true,
    Tells it all straight, and means it all too,
    Going forward and knowing he's right,
    Even when doubted for why he would fight,
    Over and over he makes his case clear,
    Reaching to touch the ones who won't hear,
    Growing in strength, he won't be unnerved,
    Ever assuring he'll stand by his word,
    Wanting the world to join his firm stand,
    Bracing for war, but praying for peace,
    Using his power so evil will cease,
    So much a leader and worthy of trust,
    Here stands a man who will do what he must.

I assume this isn't our friend Nikhil in Nobel Peace Prize mode.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/5/2005 9:40:00 AM) Post reply

OK, here's a Christmas game you can play by yourself...no, it needs both hands:
    Take a clear photo of someone you'd love to hate... or OK it's Christmas, someone you would like to, almost want to feel judgmental about.
    Take a piece of paper. Cover one half of the face. What do you see? then do it with the other half. Y
    If you haven't done this before, it can be a revelation.

I've just done this with Condy Rice - much admired here in Europe, not at all so by you guys a few weeks back.. tell what you see.

(Some say, the left side of the face (RH in photo...) is what you're born with, the right, what you make of it.

Have fun. Might even get a poem out of it.

• Rookie Angel bella (12/5/2005 7:35:00 AM) Post reply

I think it strange, when i recieve E-mail from Poemhunter it is sent as bulk mail, does this happen to anyone else

• Rookie Angel bella (12/5/2005 7:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hi everyone, I am new to this site. I've posted 4 poems, and have only recieved about 4 hits. What can I do to get more established?

• Rookie Richard George (12/6/2005 1:48:00 PM) Post reply

Like everything with poetry, it takes time - the opposite of fast food. I began writing 10 years ago and am just starting to get established... but don't let that put you off. Poetry's for a lifetime.

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/5/2005 7:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Writing good poetry, using Spellcheck, and patience, might do the trick. It's been tried before.

[Hata Bildir]