Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/21/2005 8:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 10 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

hey ladies and gents, here's a question that came up in conversation over the weekend:

it is largely accepted that Bob Dylan is a contemporary poet genius in the US. Leonard Cohen is Canada's favourite son, even Jamaica has Bob Marley. but who in the UK stacks up? i mean, from a poet/troubadour perspective; that one lone voice of reason and brilliance. also, anyone in Australia? anywhere?

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Max Reif (11/21/2005 7:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

I see, looking at my stats, that the curse of a poem is to have its title start with a letter in the 2nd half of the alphabet.
    hmmmm...could I unconsiously be writing better poems, when I know their titles will begin with A through F or so? I can see a critical review: 'Though Reif writes well from A to F, I felt his T through Z poems were weak. He should retitle them.'
    Junk food for thought.

• Rookie ***** ***** (11/21/2005 5:17:00 PM) Post reply

Yes, I noticed that begin to happen for me also... a bitter poet's vitriol gets lazy after about 'f'.

• Rookie Max Reif (11/21/2005 8:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think Jake's idea makes sense. If you number a poem with '1.', say, then the title, like,1. The Sphinx, for example, then you can get exposure for the ones you want. You can also rotate them...

• Rookie John Kay (11/21/2005 8:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You're lucky if they go through page one. My first poem beginning with 'A' gets all the hits first, and it's not the poem I'd offer to a first time reader of my work. I don't know any way around it th ... more

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/21/2005 8:39:00 AM) Post reply

good call, Max. i've noticed that, too. ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (11/21/2005 7:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Whether there's a 'quintessential' American poem, like you English are saying about the Brooke one? Something by Whitman, (who is certainly a quintessential American poet) ? We had Robert Frost, standing up there at Kennedy's inauguration, reading a sonnet. I don't know how many Americans knew his work, though many know 'The Road Not Taken' and 'Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening'. Literature has taken many simultaneous forks since then, and I don't feel any living American has that 'good, grey, National poet' image. America's poetry is one of disillusionment, I think...'a highway of diamonds with nobody on it'.

I may be rambling on about nothing and deserve to have no replies and stand like a naked chicken out here amid the cold Forum winds.

Still, I ain't done yet. I'll close with a parody of Frost back in high school, by a friend of mine whose 3rd period math teacher's name was Miles Edinburn. My friend would say around 10: 30 AM, 'I have promises to keep, and Miles to go before I eat...'

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/21/2005 5:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My brother, who is stationed over here in Germany (AGAIN! Yes, for a second TOUR of DOODIE) is taking his Panamanian-born wife to Paris for Thanksgiving.

(lol, I didn't tell him Paris is burning. I think it'll make a great chapter.)

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/21/2005 4:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

WELL TEDDY IS OUT OF THE FREEZER BUT WHEN I STUCK HIM ON THE AUSTRALIAN BARBIE
    WITH MY AMERICAN SHRIMPS HE GOT ALL FIRED UP I WAS ONLY TRYING TO WARM HIM UP
    NOW HE IS HANGING OVER MY CORN PATCH ALBERT THE CROW DOESN'T LIKE TEDDY AT ALL
    NONE OF THE BIRDS LIKE HIM, IT COULD BE HIS COLOUR

• Rookie Ernestine Northover (11/21/2005 3:25:00 PM) Post reply

OVER A CORN PATCH! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! , that's no place for any respectable Teddy, have you no respect for him, poor soul, what a life he must lead. I shan, t sleep tonight thinking of him. Boo Hoo. Specie ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/21/2005 2:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

DONT WORRY SHERIE I'V EXPLAINED IT FOR YOU IN A POEM YOU CAN READ AND LEARN ABOUT THANKSGIVING THERE FROM AN AUSTRALIAN

• Rookie Marcy Jarvis (11/21/2005 1:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

FIRE

Probably I am an ordinary middle-class
    believer in individual rights, the word
    'freedom' is simple to me, it doesn't mean
    the freedom of any class in particular.
    Politically naive, with an average
    education (brief moments of clear vision
    are its main nourishment) , I remember
    the blazing appeal of that fire which parches
    the lips of the thirsty crowd and burns
    books and chars the skin of cities. I used to sing
    those songs and I know how great it is
    to run with others; later, by myself,
    with the taste of ashes in my mouth, I heard
    the lie's ironic voice and the choir screaming
    and when I touched my head I could feel
    the arched skull of my country, its hard edge.

Translated by Renata Gorczynski

-Adam Zagajewski

• Rookie Joseph Daly (11/21/2005 10:30:00 AM) Post reply

Marcy, I can't say that I am familiar with the writer. What I can say is that we need more who can write like this with so much power. Thank you for posting it, I'll do a search to find out m ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (11/21/2005 6:54:00 AM) Post reply

says a lot. (me speak brief)

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/20/2005 10:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

that gets rid of the eating and abusing of family now what was the original reason for being thankfull who started the idea in the first place was it being thankful for whipping a bit of english ass in the great war of independance orrrrrrrrrrr

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (11/20/2005 9:36:00 PM) Post reply

when one of you Americans tell me all about your thanksgiving when i asked so politely, then only then, will Teddy come out of the freezer

• Rookie - 614 Points Jerry Hughes (11/20/2005 3:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Movers, Apostles and Shakers, I wanted to share this very beautiful Rupert Brooke poem with you. It's seldom read these days, a bit dated one might say? Nevertheless, Brooke at his best.

THE SOLDIER

If I should die, think only this of me:
    That there's some corner of a foreign field
    That is forever England. There shall be
    In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
    A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
    Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
    A body of England's, breathing air,
    Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
    A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
    Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
    Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
    And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
    In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

• Rookie - 614 Points Ernestine Northover (11/21/2005 3:28:00 PM) Post reply

Agreed, a fantastic poem. One of my favourites. Love Ernestine

• Rookie - 614 Points Max Reif (11/21/2005 7:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Michael, your comment helps explicate this for me. Reading it, I found the language sensitive, but the patriotic sentiments seemed somewhat atavistic. But I suppose we all have a 'place' that we're gr ... more

• Rookie - 614 Points Michael Shepherd (11/21/2005 5:06:00 AM) Post reply

Naive it was, and ironic it turned out to be. The British are a fighting nation, and Brooke is typical of that generation of idealistic young men who in 1914 believed that it was noble to fight, even ... more

• Rookie - 614 Points Lori Boulard (11/20/2005 8:36:00 PM) Post reply

Sherrie, good or bad, I think we Yanks n ... more

• Rookie - 614 Points Michael Shepherd (11/20/2005 6:06:00 PM) Post reply

For many, Jerry, this is THE English poe ... more

To read all of 6 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]