Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Max Reif (10/29/2005 1:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

NOW HERE'S A POETIC IMAGE I OVERHEARD!

a friend spoke of her intestinal condition as 'dying rear'.

Replies for this message:
    • Michael Shepherd (10/30/2005 4:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hey Max! Didn't you read my poem 'Metaphor' which has now hit the charts at (haven't looked today) , somewhere 200-400-ish? About dire-rear?

• Richard George (10/29/2005 1:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well done for picking up her eaves-droppings... sorry, I just couldn't resist that.

• Max Reif (10/29/2005 12:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I've been reading some poets new to me today. Below is a comment I made on the page of Natashe Ashwe. I also like the poems of Linda Jenkinson and Bera Tremoz.

Natashe Ashwe says in her biography, 'I am an artist and poet...I think.' I've just read several of her poems, and I would say, 'I KNOW! ' Natasha writes powerfully about both the beauty and the beguiling lures lurking in life. She writes, for example, of 'pickpocket loves' who have left her heart empty. She is an original, powerful voice.

• Lee Tran (10/29/2005 4:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

This is first time in here and man there are some good talented writers that me as a young adult can look up to for inspiration.... :) Thanks for showing the community more dedicated writers! !

• Alice Vedral Rivera (10/29/2005 1:30:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I agree with you Max. I, too, enjoy reading the works of these poets. I am grateful that this site exists and that we can read and take pleasure in the words of so many diverse and talented people. ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/29/2005 9:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Ran across this book, 'Haikus For Jews, ' with some clever pieces:

After the warm rain,
    the sweet smell of camellias.
    Did you wipe your feet?

Coroner’s report –
    “The deceased, wearing no hat,
    caught his death of cold.”

Left the door open
    for the Prophet Elijah.
    Now our cat is gone.

• Michael Shepherd (10/30/2005 3:57:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Four thousand years of Hebrew and still no word for 'tact'... so who needs it?

• Richard George (10/29/2005 2:02:00 PM) Post reply Stage

A joke about the U.K.'s long time-expired Prime Minister Tony Blair: in order to win the Jewish vote, Blair's aides decide to get him circumcised. It takes longer than expected. After three hours the ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/29/2005 5:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Damn! All I got under my last post were ads for poetry...OK, extensions, fake rolex watches, pills, patches, wife, happier, inches... Google, try those for size....

• Michael Shepherd (10/29/2005 5:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Ain't the online ads cute? Mention Turkey, and zap - three ads for Turkish thingies appear on the Forum next to your sublimely wise post... all done by Google. Which suggests a game - like mention gorilla dust, and see if ads for zoos and hoovers come up... watch this space...

• Max Reif (10/29/2005 10:21:00 AM) Post reply Stage

YOu mean those green ads up there? Those are the only ones I see on this page. Yeah, they're all for poetry. Well, a lot of people DO mention poetry here. But...Turkey, Turkey..Here, Turkey! Cmon guys ... more

• Allan James Saywell (10/29/2005 12:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

i saw a movie last night called' midnight express' which told the story of a young american caught in turkey about to board a plane back to the united
    states he had about 2oo dollars of weed strapped to his body apparently tricky
    dickey nixon had upset the turks and they took it out on the young american
    by giving him a life sentence he aventually escaped back to america worth a look

• ***** ***** (10/29/2005 11:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

ahem, yes that one has been a classic for quite a few years now... I guess Australia hasn't caught the nostalgia-as-television bug... over here the 'top 50' has pepperred our screens with the film gen ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/29/2005 1:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Excellent movie Allan, true story with no facts changed at all. I liked it when the warden got 'hooked' in the occipital bone just before the man escaped. Have you seen Deadly Pursuit? It was filmed ... more

• Allan James Saywell (10/28/2005 4:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

every poet has to ask himself what is a poet if your work is not being read poem hunter does give us this opportunity, even the opportunity to be a little
    naughty on the odd occasion

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/29/2005 12:10:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I disagree. Mary is the naughtiest one, followed by Mahnaz. Allan and I are even more polite and docile than Jerry Hughes. Best wishes H

• Mary Nagy (10/28/2005 7:51:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think you are naughty most of the time and are 'behaving' on the odd occasion Allan! lol :)

• Max Reif (10/28/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I feel really happy with a poem I just posted:
    WIKIPEDIA: TOTEM AND TABOO.
    I feel it says a lot of things I've been learning for a long time; and the experience described in the poem presented the opportunity to say them!

• Max Reif (10/28/2005 4:39:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well, my wife says it needs more work. But that's ok. We can send a poem back down the ol' chute as many times as we need to!

• Max Reif (10/28/2005 12:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

A SUDDEN REALIZATION ABOUT MICHAEL'S ARTICLE!
    My God, Michael, if your article gets wide readership around the world, there'll be even LESS focus on **OUR** poems! The tsunami of poets descending and pouring dozens, hundreds, THOUSANDS of poems into the 'poem-river' on the Home Page will grow exponentially! We'll NEVER be heard (let alone famous) !
    In fact, I'll give ya $25 American to hush your article!

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/28/2005 6:25:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I am in with 25 East German Marks. Best H

• Michael Shepherd (10/28/2005 12:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

yeah but, like, no, but, yeah...trust me, I'm a journalist...like, when you're alone in a small boat in the middle of the ocean, a single seagull's cry is the sound of a friend.. the best stuff will s ... more

• Michael Shepherd (10/28/2005 6:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

If anyone who reads this has better French - or better still, Turkish, anyone? - than I, and can draw Emilie's, Collette's, or Teymur's attention to this article which they already have, ask them to fill in the * spaces, and then feel free to use it as a stock publicity article to send to magazines, PLEASE do - and again, anyone who might interest a literary or feature editor?

Apologies for this Nikhilistic posting today...

• Max Reif (10/28/2005 10:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

My Turkish is limited to what I learned on an old Firesign Theater comedy record: 'Follow along in your Guidebook, as we learn 3 more words in Turkish: 'Tow-el'. 'Baaaath.' 'Borrrr-derrr.' Bu ... more

[Hata Bildir]