Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/22/2005 3:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

In answer to the questions of a few concerning the content of my poem 'Obesity':
    My definition of obesity (66 % of Americans are now classified as obese) :
    Obesity is the result of the body's desperate search for essential nutrients.
    Best wishes
    Herbert

Replies for this message:
  • Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/22/2005 1:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

anybody here seen my old friend John?
    can you tell me where he's gone?
    he freed a lotta people but it seems the good they die young
    i just looked around and he's gone

• Ben Cassel (11/22/2005 5:14:00 PM) Post reply

It's 'Abraham, Martin and John', written by Dick Holler. Dion (!) had a hit with it in 1969, when the final verse was still fresh: 'Anybody here seen my old friend Bobby/Can you tell me where he's g ... more

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/22/2005 3:37:00 PM) Post reply

oh, i can't claim credit to this. it's a lyric from a poem/song written by? ? ? ? and performed most famously by Dion DiMucci in 1968. and performed most infamously by Leonard Nimoy later that same ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 3:27:00 PM) Post reply

Knock out the 'but it' and it's a lyric begging for music and posterity

• Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 3:22:00 PM) Post reply

O no, who knows where he's gone?

• Marcy Jarvis (11/22/2005 12:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Look at this adorable poem by ten year old Hilda Conkling! It's called 'Dandelion'

O LITTLE soldier with the golden helmet,
    What are you guarding on my lawn?
    You with your green gun
    And your yellow beard,
    Why do you stand so stiff?
    There is only the grass to fight!

Her mother used to write everything that came out of her mouth down and then Amy Lowell found her a publisher and wrote an introduction to her first collection when she was only 10! Some people! ! ! ! !

• Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (11/22/2005 12:55:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Marcy, What a lovely sweet poem. Yes, Amy is going to look up Hilda Conkling poems when she comes back from her holiday. She's off Gambia on Friday for two weeks. No doubt she will do a bit of poet ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Marcy Jarvis (11/22/2005 12:29:00 PM) Post reply

I bet she uses a soruban, too. (A Japanese abacus.)

• Rookie - 1st Stage Billy Midget (11/22/2005 12:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I BET SHE KNOWS WHO CARL MARKS IS AS WELL

• Billy Midget (11/22/2005 12:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

I TAKE MY ART CEREALOUSLY I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT FULL MOONS AND WOLVES BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF COURSE I'VE SEEN A FULL MOON AND IVE SEEN A WOLF, BUT NOT TOGETHER AT THE SAME TIME

• Max Reif (11/22/2005 9:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

we're preparing to go to LA for the holidays, if I don't post for awhile, it's not that the cat's got my tongue (which means what, by the way?)

Last year, day after Thanksgiving, we went for a ride, to Laguna Beach, in Orange County. My mother, looking at the big homes perched atop high, ocean-view cliffs, said, 'What are those houses doing up there? They're going to fall down! ' Condescendingly, I patted Mother and said, 'There, there, this is California (she'd come in from Missouri) . The engineers & architects know what they're doing! '
    Sure enough, a few months later, big newspaper headlines: those very homes DID fall down.
    Always listen to your mother!

• Rookie - 1st Stage Lori Boulard (11/22/2005 8:57:00 PM) Post reply

Max, have a great trip, and I bet those houses are right back where they were. Some people should listen to their mother, as in Mother Nature! Hopefully when you're back you'll have a book for her st ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Poetry Hound (11/22/2005 6:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Happy times in LaLa land, Max. If you want to see a reeeeeally unusual museum while you're there, go check out the Museum of Jurassic Technology. It's kind of a fake museum with all sort of exhibits ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/22/2005 11:37:00 AM) Post reply

have a happy turkey day, Max! gobble gobble! Jake

• Rookie - 1st Stage Mary Nagy (11/22/2005 11:32:00 AM) Post reply

Have a great trip Max and enjoy your Hol ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Alice Vedral Rivera (11/22/2005 11:28:00 AM) Post reply

Max, Have an enjoyable and safe Than ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply

Have fun, Max. Stay as long as you like. ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (11/22/2005 9:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The Rhemasonador is doing some of Max's poems over at acidplanet.com They are well worth taking a listen too. That Gutenburg Bible one gave me chills! I am always flabberghasted to 'hear' something read aloud well. Especially maybe since I live in a silent world of being isolated from my language - maybe it strikes me more. I know that 'listening' to people 'talk' by reading them on the internet when I fist encountered that after living in a small German village for three years had an unusual effect on me, to say the least.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/22/2005 7:27:00 AM) Post reply

whilst out searching for info on Lewis Carroll's 'Jabberwocky', i found this website which includes some rather clever parodies of Carroll's nonsensical masterpiece.

http: //www76.pair.com/keithlim/jabberwocky/

• Marcy Jarvis (11/22/2005 5:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Remember when it was popular to have a poem printed out upon a decorative background and framed and hanging in your (maybe your grandmother's) home? I always used to see them at the flea markets in the 80s because that had gone out of fashion. A CLASSIC example was (Alfred) Joyce Kilmer's 'Trees.'

'I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree...'

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 5:58:00 AM) Post reply

..and a Sherrian reference in the second stanza...don't these poet guys ever think of anything else? ... imagine reversing the simile...

• Rookie - 1st Stage Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/22/2005 5:45:00 AM) Post reply

Funny you would bring this up. I just received a message from a US university poetry department. They accept submissions only part of the year and I had sent in 10 as recommended by a poet on this sit ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 5:26:00 AM) Post reply

I'm just about to be accorded that old-fashioned honour! And hand-calligraphed too by an expert, I'm told. Swoony!

• Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 4:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I posted the two early Zimmerman items from the recent sale of his early jottings for the record - but if they're already well-known public property I'll delet-e them...?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 5:20:00 AM) Post reply

There's just been an auction in the US of Dylan jottings from his university years - see the news headlines on the home page. It's a typical and maddening example from the literary world - manuscript ... more

• Ben Cassel (11/22/2005 2:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

While I dispute the existence of an Quintessential American or British poem, my vote for the American is Longfellow's 'Evangeline'. This is pretty nifty imagery in the opening stanzas:

This is the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks,
    Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight,
    Stand like Druids of eld, with voices sad and prophetic,
    Stand like harpers hoar, with beards that rest on their bosoms.
    Loud from its rocky caverns, the deep-voiced neighboring ocean
    Speaks, and in accents disconsolate answers the wail of the forest.

This is the forest primeval; but where are the hearts that beneath it
    Leaped like the roe, when he hears in the woodland the voice of the
    huntsman?
    Where is the thatch-roofed village, the home of Acadian farmers –
    Men whose lives glided on like rivers that water the woodlands,
    Darkened by shadows of earth, but reflecting an image of heaven?

• Rookie - 1st Stage Poetry Hound (11/22/2005 8:14:00 AM) Post reply

Michael, I'm not familiar with the Oakland museum, but as you probably already know, there's a whole school of 19th century American painters that painted over-the-top super-realistic nature scenes li ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Marcy Jarvis (11/22/2005 4:52:00 AM) Post reply

I nominate Sam Walter Foss for 'The House by the Side of the Road' as quintessential American poem. 'Let me live in a house by the side of the road and be a friend to man...' his bio: A poet, journ ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/22/2005 4:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This reminds me of some of the paintings in the Oakland Museum of Art (Max?) and the Transcendentals - the discovery of the American hinterland, very much akin to the last line here. Ben?

[Hata Bildir]