Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/11/2005 2:59:00 AM) Post reply

MP must be spending most of his waking hours in the movie theatres.
    Goood films to watch:
    Deadly Pursuit
    Most Wim Wenders films
    All Heinz Ruehmann films.
    Film of the decade for me Witness. If I could find the right plastic surgeon and become the world's top hypnotist I would be stalking Kelly McGillis.
    After all, if she kissed Harrison Ford she'd be smitten with me, maybe even without hypnosis.
    Contrary to some untoward thoughts anticipated, it's NOT (just) because I am a breast man.
    Best wishes,
    H (jr) who would be an Amish if they could drive cars.

• Michael Philips (10/11/2005 2:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Favorite film site: http: //www.imdb.com
    Favorite films:
    Following – British, a young writer follows strangers for inspiration, plot twists galore
    Memento - British, Chris Nolan’s sequel to Following, the movie unfolds backwards in time
    Chan Is Missing – one of Wayne Wang’s 1st films, a Chinese-American Waiting For Godot
    Stranger Than Paradise – Jarmusch’s first and still best film, w/John Lurie of the Lounge Lizards
    Satyricon – many people’s favorite Fellini film
    Juliet of the Spirits – great Fellini film
    Fitzcarraldo – Werner Herzog, effort to build opera house in the Amazon
    Burden of Dreams - film about the making of Fitzcarraldo
    You Can Count On me – prideful down and out son returns home, Mark Ruffalo
    East-West – Bulgarian? Russian? – Stalin invites émigrés back and then the trouble begins
    Central Station – Brazilian, poignant road trip of a translator and an illiterate young boy
    Budbringeren (Junk Mail) – Norwegian, postman sticks his nose where it doesn’t belong
    Local Hero – Peter Riegert as oil co. exec, great Scottish cast
    Boogie Nights – Burt Reynold’s best role since Deliverance
    Before Night Falls – Javier Bardem is Cuban poet Reinaldo Arenas in Julian Schnabel’s film
    Ju Dou – China, interpersonal drama at a rural fabric dye mill
    Muriel’s Wedding – Australian, clever story of an ABBA fan
    Performance – British, James Fox, Mick Jagger – down & out rock and gangster worlds collide
    In the Company of Men – the dark side of men. Ouch.
    The Third Man – Orson Welles’ greatest performance, very noir-ish
    Witness For the Prosecution – Tyrone Power, Marlene Dietrich, Charles Laughton, five stars
    Jackie Brown – best Tarantino film, scary Samuel Jackson
    Red Rock West – offbeat modern Western, Nicholas Cage as unlucky slacker, Dennis Hopper
    Rancho Deluxe – offbeat modern cult Western, Jeff Bridges, Sam Waterson
    92 Degrees in the Shade – atmospheric story of Florida slackers, Peter Fonda
    The Last Detail – Jack Nicholson’s best role other than Cuckoo’s Nest
    The Player – Satire of Hollywood, Tim Robbins and a boatload of star cameos
    Bob Roberts – Fake documentary satirizing of U.S. political campaigns, Tim Robbins
    The Big Bounce – if you liked the Sting or Grifters or Flim Flam Man, this is a good con-man flick

Replies for this message:
    • Max Reif (10/11/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can't FIND 'Burden of Dreams' for the life of me! Memento, yeah, interesting. Saw 'Central Station' twice. Really good. I'm not on the same wave-length as Jarmusch, I guess, though I enjoyed some of ' ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Max Reif (10/11/2005 12:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

MY IMMORTAL POST ON MOVIES, REPRINTED WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN:
    Loved the Chinese film, 'Shower', loved 'On The Waterfront', like most French, Greek, Italian films, we recently saw one from Algeria, called 'Viva L'Aldjerie' that was interesting. Loved Werner Herzog's 'Fitzcarraldo', Wender's 'Wings of Desire'... Loved a Cuban movie called 'Strawberry and Chocolate', a Norwegian one called 'Elling', also 'Babette's Feast'. 'My Mother's Castle' is a sweet one from southern France, with a sequel called 'My Father's Glory'. Film is a poor man's cruise, among other things. Recently we've also been watching old Sid Caesar shows. He was a real genius. And the first year of MAD TV is wonderful. And we're addicted to 'Six Feet Under' and 'Freaks and Geeks' (both on DVD now, except for the last season of 'Six') .

And thanks, poets, for your movie tips!

• Michael Philips (10/11/2005 2:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Max, if you liked Fitzcarraldo (and Burden of Dreams) , check out Herzog's 1999 Mein liebster Feind (My Best Friend) , about his relationship with Klaus Kinski.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/10/2005 5:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I liked the movie Dirty Rotten Scoundrels....
    H

• Max Reif (10/11/2005 12:37:00 AM) Post reply

LA Story has some hilarious scenes, like this guy accosting them with a gun on the mall, saying, 'Hi, I'm your robber for the night! '

• allan james saywell (10/10/2005 9:40:00 PM) Post reply

i liked the part where caine was hitting him with the stick to test the feeling in his legs, he really gave it everything he had and steve martin never blinked or cryed out till he left the room

• Jerry Hughes (10/10/2005 5:39:00 PM) Post reply

Blues Brothers is a classic of the era, any era. I still crack up when the get-away car falls to bits, when (they) get out and slam the doors. Just brilliant.

• allan james saywell (10/10/2005 5:01:00 PM) Post reply

the yorkshire ripper was a ripper of a movie

• Allan James Saywell (10/10/2005 4:28:00 PM) Post reply

the charles manson family on dvd, society was just as sick back in the good old days

• Michael Shepherd (10/10/2005 9:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Does anyone using the 'email this to a friend' facility (?) find that it does a U-turn on the way and comes back as from friend to you? It's happened twice to me in the last few days...

• Max Reif (10/11/2005 12:51:00 AM) Post reply

I haven't used that one, but the Poetry Cards (can be sent with any poem) are really nice, unless the lines are extremely long!

• ***** ***** (10/10/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

ps.. if you decide to copy and paste from here - remember to delet the space that PH places after the http: _

Just like the double 'p' that dogs the word 'drop' dometimes - it's one of those gremlins on this site.

S.

• allan james saywell (10/10/2005 5:55:00 AM) Post reply

i wondered about keven and ann myself, they are on my list as well i might have asked before but dont know wether i got an answer nice story though

[Hata Bildir]