Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 5:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

My comment that Coates’ poem was better than most of the poetry posted here was not mean or insulting towards any individual poet here. But I do think most of the daily avalanche of poetry posted here is unimaginative and cliché. So what else is new?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 2:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Thought of the day:
    'What luck for rulers, that men do not think.' - Adolph Hitler

Vulcano Haines (jr)

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 6:09:00 AM) Post reply Stage

No. I am not trying to be irritating at all. Chomping at the bit I will leave to others but methinks that where Coates/England is welcome one can post anything. It will always be an improvement. I did ... more

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 5:48:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Wow, unless you're intentionally trying to be irritating, I think you might consider giving this subject a rest. I do not detect a chomping at the bit among poets for more discussion on fluoridation.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/2/2005 4:54:00 AM) Post reply Stage

It was written under the influences and pressures of fighting two battles on fluoridation. One in the state of Queensland, the other in Bellingham, Washington the latter has made the pages of Time mag ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 4:43:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Well, that needs a context.

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 2:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Here is a poem by Anne Winters, who just won the $25,000 Lenore Marshall Prize for the year's best poetry book.

Tosca With Man in Bedrock

The Met's first winter broadcast, Tosca, amberized
    in her ivory court dress, lets fall
    one by one the pure drops of the Vissi d'Arte,
    while the cantilevered mezzanine, underlit,
    bright-eyed in its nests of stoles and fur tippets, hangs
    breathless … Straight down, past sallow platforms, sewer
    outfalls and steam lines, the man in the bedrock
    sidesteps in his worklamp's flattened yellow,

spools out more wire, lowers his radio probe
    to the back of a rust-ridged centenary main
    fed by watersheds in the still half glacial Catskills—

and hears, through bellcurves of pings, each note
    rebound off his shaft of preCambrian schist. Grey, void—
    the Manhattan Schist, laid down too early for fossils.

• Poetry Hound (11/2/2005 6:31:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I have no idea if this is considered one of her best. I just found it on Slate. But your analysis is intriguing. What I liked about it is the contrast of the earthly opera at the surface and the ping ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 5:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

So why did you post it anyway, PoHo? Is it an example of her best work? If I understand it correcly, it's a kinda outside-space-time comment on Manhattan? In which case the Met isn't the example I wou ... more

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 10:59:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Poets, tomorrow's Wednesday, middle of the week. Let's get out there and hustle! Get out there and MOVE THOSE POEMS!

• Allan James Saywell (11/1/2005 10:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I received a poetry magazine today from America called Poetry today with articles about major living american poets the magazine is run by the International society of poets there is an artical on WD Snodgrass

• Mary Nagy (11/1/2005 8:21:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Ok, I'm posting this in response to Michael's question regarding the 'romantic poetry' and whether spouse reciprocate this idealistic view of the other...etc. etc. I said I was going to ask Todd (my husband) to write me a poem.......figuring he would tell me where to go because he normally teases me about my poetry BUT...while I was in class tonight HE DID IT and I am posting what he wrote. I hope we can be gentle on the 'comments'... :) Keep in mind this is his first poem ever. (I will say I was encouraged to read the title: A Husband's Love (part one) .......hmmm I wonder if I've started something here? Mary

• Mary Nagy (11/2/2005 5:58:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Thanks for commenting on his poem you guys! He tried to act like he didn't care........but he sure was smiling when I told him the remarks and scores. He even commented on his 'next poem...' (he c ... more

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 12:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Here's a question: I read some romantic poems this morning that extolled the beloved and painted a picture of him/her as FAR, almost INFINITELY more beautiful, significant, worthy etc. than the 'mere' lover, who comes off kind of as a speck of dust.

Do you think this attitude 'comes along with the teritory' in Romantic Love? Is is the attitude most poets expressing romantic love in the past have taken? Is romantic love POSSIBLE if one sees oneself as equal to the beloved?

• Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 4:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm just thinking about your last line, Max...imagine a 'romantic' poem where you praise the beloved's exquisite taste in choosing to love your own perfectly sublime self!

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 2:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thank you for articulating these additional dimensions of the matter, Michael. Being a dilettante, I can't adequately answer them (I can scarcely spell 'adequately') , but who knows when PoHo or Lamon ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 1:56:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Since romantic poems are normally written by one party only, and then usually 'before the event', it would be interesting if not unique, to have both parties to the romance/partnership writing of thei ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/1/2005 1:23:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think the most romantic kind of love i ... more

• Dee Maguire (11/1/2005 10:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hi everyone Im new here and slowly getting through all of your most poems, they are so good.Ive recently wrote my own poem and I would apprecait it if you could give me your honest opinion.

Thanx

• Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 11:10:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Welcome, Dee. But honestly, since you ask: it's like wandering through a cemetery, seeing the freshly dug graves, the fresh flowers on old graves... you know that every one of them is a huge huge even ... more

• Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 9:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

Now for something more Forum-related. Did anyone notice the story about Britney Spears - newly Jewish thanks to Madonna - being commissioned to write kids' stories? What do you think about celebrities writing 'just because they can'? Be honest. Anyone read any that are really good?

• Richard George (11/2/2005 5:20:00 AM) Post reply Stage

From my side of the pond, not all 'celebrities' are bad writers - Stephen Fry (British comedian and actor) is a fine writer. So is Amelia Bullmore - a British actress who's played (among others) com ... more

• Poetry Hound (11/1/2005 2:57:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Everyone thinks they can write a children's book, just like everyone thinks they can write poetry.

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 2:11:00 PM) Post reply Stage

They say that Jamie-Lee Curtiss' are really quite good. I don't remember reading any celebrities' childrens' stories, so far. Guess I haven't been curious enough. You just evaluate their merits, the ... more

• Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 10:15:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hey, Sherrie, at least you're honest! A ... more

• Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 9:18:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I'll offer the first take. Viggo Morten ... more

• Lori Boulard (11/1/2005 9:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies Stage

Hello hunters, I hate to get tech-y on such a beautiful Tuesday, but does anybody know how to find recent comments posted to your poems w/o checking each one that's been read? It's fine with ten or so poems but now it's downright silly, and I don't want to miss anybody. Thanks in advance for any tips!

• Lori Boulard (11/3/2005 12:06:00 PM) Post reply Stage

aaahh, I see I'm not alone. Max, I'll take your suggestion and bug the web-spinners.. or maybe take Andrew's tip & hit my site every five minutes until I'm NUMBER ONE, BABY!

• Michael Shepherd (11/2/2005 4:53:00 AM) Post reply Stage

This is a bit weird - there seemed to be this facility at one time - confusingly, 'comments' in one place got the commonts BY you, 'comments' on your stats page got the comments ON you - but I can 't ... more

• Max Reif (11/1/2005 11:25:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Yeah, the mgt wrote me some months back that they're workin' on it. It would be nice to have an update. If you e-mail them about it, you might have to be a little 'direct' in saying you really need th ... more

• Michael Shepherd (11/1/2005 11:03:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Go to your poems and hit those marked 'N ... more

• Mary Nagy (11/1/2005 10:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I don't think there is a way Lori. It s ... more

[Hata Bildir]