Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Ben Cassel (12/10/2005 3:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

The two finest war songs, in my opinion, were both written by an Australian named Eric Bogle. They are 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda' and 'No Man's Land (The Green Fields of France) .' The lyrics to both should be easily located on line. One of the finest poetic statements on war came from Randall Jarrell, a good old Southern lad from North Carolina:

The Death of the Ball-Turret Gunner

From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
    And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
    Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
    I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
    When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Richard George (12/11/2005 5:43:00 AM) Post reply

One of the most moving anti-war records ever recorded, if you can find it, is 'Balaklava' by Tom Rapp and Pearls Before Swine. For the Crimean war read Vietnam and the current shenanigans - hideously ... more

• Rookie Jerry Hughes (12/10/2005 6:08:00 PM) Post reply

Don't want to sound like a smart-arse pedant Ben, I think you'll find Eric Bogal is a Scotmans, who migrated here some years ago. Nevertheless, The Band Played Waltzing Matilda is a song of such sadne ... more

• Rookie Poetry Hound (12/10/2005 5:29:00 PM) Post reply

One that I like is 'In California During the Gulf War' by Denise Levertov.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/10/2005 4:48:00 PM) Post reply

Yes, WW1 certainly did bring out some of ... more

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/10/2005 12:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

With all this maudlin stuff about war I thought that it might be a good thing to read a piece by the nineteenth century lyricist Patrick Joseph McCall. Rather than being defeatist about war - and God knows, the Irish have faced enough defeats - McCall chose to celebrate an Irish victory. The words, I feel, display a joyful arrogance: If we can do it once; we can do it again.

If anyone wishes to hear this might I suggest you try to get to hear the version by Planxty. Failing that I understand that this is one of Declan Mc Henry’s favourite songs. With enough pressure, he might like to record his own version of it and we could ask him to e-mail it as an mp3.

The song tells the story of the Battle of Glenmalure, one of the victories of the Irish over the English at the end of the sixteenth century in the Desmond Rebellions.

Against expectations Feach MacHugh O’Byrne defeated Lord Grey Wilton at Glenmalure in the Wicklow Mountains, South of Dublin. Using his stronghold on Ballincor Mountain as operating base O’Byrne launched a campaign against the English and it is said that the tune of this song was already played by then.
    The campaign ended with the capture and the subsequently beheading of O’Bryne in 1597 during the Nine Years War. (Info from Triskel site)

Follow me up to Carlow

Lift Mac Cahir Og your face,
    Brooding o´er the old disgrace,
    That black Fitzwilliam stormed your place
    And drove you to the Fern
    Grey said victory was sure,
    Soon the firebrand he´d secure
    Until he met at Glenmalure,
    Feach Mac Hugh O´Byrne

See the swords of Glen Imayle,
    Flashing o´er the English Pale
    See all the children of the Gael,
    Beneath O´Byrne´s banners
    Rooster of the fighting stock,
    Would you let a Saxon cock
    Crow out upon an Irish rock,
    Fly up and teach him manners

Curse and swear Lord Kildare
    Feach will do what Feach will dare
    Now Fitzwilliam, have a care
    Fallen is your star low
    Up with halbert, out with sword
    On we go for by the Lord
    Feach Mac Hugh has given his word
    Follow me up to Carlow

From Tassagart to Clonmore,
    Flows a stream of Saxon gore
    Och, great is Rory Oge O´More,
    At sending loons to Hades
    White is sick and Lane is fled,
    Now for black Fitzwilliam´s head
    We´ll send it over, dripping red,
    To Liza and the ladies

• Rookie Declan McHenry (12/10/2005 3:41:00 PM) Post reply

Of course though, this is a nineteenth century work and written in English for an English speaking audience. There are native Irish poems going back to the 6th Century AD. The verse techniques are fas ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/10/2005 3:05:00 PM) Post reply

at sending loons to hades' we have a lot of loons at poem hunter yes i like this poem denis joe

• Rookie Declan McHenry (12/10/2005 2:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Denis Joe, yes it is a favourite but it'll take a few pints for me to loosen up my vocal cords. It is a particularly bloodthirsty little number and a great one for a crowd singalong. It is lost witho ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (12/10/2005 10:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

New arrival Ian Blake has posted some good poems.

• Rookie - 150 Points Joseph Daly (12/10/2005 11:52:00 AM) Post reply

Couldn't agree more, Hound. His work is excellent and he had the good sense not to put a load of his work on at once.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/10/2005 8:23:00 AM) Post reply

i'me going to bed now everybody, good night england, i be pissed now

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/10/2005 2:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

i am very particular about the pen i use when i'm writing. most post offices and banks have shitty pens; PILOT produces some of the finest pens around. anybody else out there as particular about their writing instruments or am i drunk?

• Rookie Ben Cassel (12/10/2005 2:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I've rotated poems and have posted two that haven't been up for a while: 'Fire in a Doll's House' and 'From the Hunter's Trap the Coyote.' I welcome comments and suggestions.

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/10/2005 1:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dear Santa: Would all poets who spell definitely definately please spell it definitely instead of definately. Definitely.
    If you don't listen I shall spell elf elv or even elvis.
    Thank you.
    A good boy

• Rookie allan james saywell (12/9/2005 11:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

england has gone to bed everybody, a robert fixit is doing a translation of my poem 'sex sex sex' into Italian he is going to post it on the forum where i will talk about it well i hope he will put it here, i hope he is not all gas and gaitors

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/10/2005 1:39:00 PM) Post reply

You must confuse yourself with all the alias pages you have open at any one time.

• Rookie allan james saywell (12/9/2005 9:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i'm looking for a poem in the poem the english have taken over the american
    continent invaded there country so the yanks put on a revolution and win there
    indapendance does anyone know the poet who wrote it, surely he wasn't english or Irish or scottish

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/11/2005 9:25:00 AM) Post reply

I doubt if English was his first language judging by the pronunciation and spelling mistakes

• Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/9/2005 8:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Just recently, Ive started to read some things by Aliester Crowley. I havent a clue where to start and am asking for recomendations on some things to read.

• Rookie Declan McHenry (12/10/2005 1:17:00 AM) Post reply

Crowley? Why Crowley for heaven's sake? Get out more. If you can't then try some Edgar Allan Poe, Thomas Stearns Eliot, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Paul Verlaine or Charles Baudelaire. These have been stalw ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]