THEY ARE JUST THE RUDE STORIES ONE HEARS
    IN SADNESS AND MIRTH
    THE RECORDS OF WANDERING YEARS-
    AND SCANT IS THEIR WORTH
    THOUGH THEIRE MERITS ARE BUT SLIGHT
    I SHALL NOT REPINE
    IF THEY GIVE YOU ONE MOMENTS DELIGHT
    OLD COMRADES OF MINE

THAT IS THE PRELUDE FROM A BOOK OF AB PATTERSON IN MY POSESSION I DONT THINK IT IS IN YOUR LIST OF POEMS AND I HOPE IT WILL HELP THOSE SO CALLED POETS
    WHO THINK THEY KNOW EVERTHING BUT REALY KNOW NOTHING

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Ernestine Northover (12/3/2005 4:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I know this is written for Druex, Allan, but I would like to say that it is absolutely super, what a fantastic poem, I have never read his work before but it's definitely a great read. Thanks for putt ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/3/2005 3:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

dreux you would be better suited with your brand of, i dont know what to call it definately not poetry some sites that look after beginners we have heaps of beginners here do you really think you can walk into a site full of lunatics
    and get them to read your work when they dont understand themselves i mean well
    educated people and they write shit pure shit that is why i have to give them heaps of banjo because reading him they will at least understand rhyme
    because bannjo was a master i mean how many poems have you put together
    have you heard of delusions and these will play you along while ever it suits them because they have the same delusions as you they think they even after five poems they think that an editor is going to tap them on a shoulder and say are you ready to be published

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/3/2005 4:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

that poem from AB PATTERSON COMES FROM A BOOK PUBLISHED IN 1934 BY ANGUS AND
    ROBERTSON OF WHICH I HAVE A RARE COPY TOMORROW I WILL DO THE PRELUDE POEM
    THIS MAN WAS A GREAT STORY TELLER POET WHO USED THE OLD ENGLISH WELL BACK IN THOSE TIMES THERE WAS LOTS OF ENGLISH STILL IN OUR BLOOD THOUGH TO BE BORN HERE IN THIS COUNTRY MADE YOU TRUE BLUE EVEN THOUGH YOUR ANCESTRY WAS IRISH SCOTTISH GERMAN DUTCH AND MANY OTHER RACES I AM GOING TO CONCENTRATE ON THE WORK OF THIS POET HE DESERVES MORE RECOGNITION FOR HIS WORK

• Rookie Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (12/2/2005 11:07:00 PM) Post reply

to Herbert and fellow PHers

re: the One-Giver(s)

NO ENEMIES

You have no enemies, you say?
    Alas, my friend, the boast is poor.
    He who has mingled in the fray
    Of duty, that the brave endure,
    Must have made foes. If you have none
    Small is the work that you have done.
    You've hit no traitor on the hip,
    You've dashed no cup from perjured lip,
    You've never turned the wrong to right,
    You've been a coward in the fight.

Charles Mackay

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/2/2005 9:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hello old beatles rolling rocks acid head survivors folk singers and other
    bleeding hearts and people who like to lullsbye there partners to sleep
    how art thou.A little something from A.B Patterson
    I THOUGHT, IN THE DAYS OF MY DROVING
    OF STEPS I MIGHT HOPE TO RETRACE
    TO BE DONE WITH THE BUSH AND THE ROVING
    AND SETTLE ONCE MORE IN MY PLACE
    WITH A HEART THAT WAS WELL NIGH TO BREAKING
    IN THE LONG.LONELY RIDES ON THE PLAIN
    I THOUGHT OF THE PLEASURE OF TAKING
    THE HAND OF A LADY AGAIN

FROM A VOICE FROM THE TOWN

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/2/2005 8:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I was reminded of this whilst I had the Beatles’ ‘Abbey Road’ playing the other day. Never noted for crediting others they lifted a lot of the words to ‘Golden Slumbers’ from a poem by the Jacobean playwright Thomas Dekker. It was a piece I came across by accident in my youth and I still love it. Dekker is a bit obscure and his plays (the few that I have come across) leave a lot to be desired. But this piece, entitled ‘Golden Slumbers kiss your eyes’, I feel is so beautiful. I don’t know whether it is addressed to his wife, his mistress, a prostitute or even his children, it has such a lovely feel to it. I hope you agree.

GOLDEN SLUMBERS KISS YOUR EYES

Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
    Smiles awake you when you rise;
    Sleep, pretty wantons, do not cry,
    And I will sing a lullaby,
    Rock them, rock them, lullaby.
    Care is heavy, therefore sleep you,
    You are care, and care must keep you;
    Sleep, pretty wantons, do not cry,
    And I will sing a lullaby,
    Rock them, rock them, lullaby

• Rookie Max Reif (12/3/2005 8:34:00 AM) Post reply

I find it charming that McCartney/Lennon recycled from the vast fields of English literature, however this lullaby was brought to their attention. Lends a depth. And 'A Day in the Life' reminds me a b ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/3/2005 6:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The lullaby, a rhyme to lull a baby to sleep, is quite an interesting poetic form going back centuries. It's discussed quite a bit on baby sites - and handy for New Men too! The mother will either ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/2/2005 9:38:00 PM) Post reply

reminds me of someone trying to wake a prositute up in between shifts and instead of saying wake up bitch like any normal bloke he pull's out a book of old poetry from an old poet who survived the ... more

• Rookie allan james saywell (12/2/2005 5:22:00 PM) Post reply

Morning greased snakes lubricated sausages sinners and things that float in rivers that have sunglasses so you wont know them. how are you
    thank you for the comment on the young fellows poem one response i think that
    maybe an alias was used by a naughty person to deceive me tut tut tut tut

• Rookie sheila knowles (12/2/2005 2:29:00 PM) Post reply

has anyone ever read any of the poetry of kevin Higgins. His site is www.kevinhiggins.net
    Interested in other opinions of his work.

• Rookie Lori Boulard (12/2/2005 8:57:00 AM) Post reply

Good morning, all! I just realized it's Friday and going on 6 days of NOT receiving the test book, although I see online that it has been shipped. As I said earlier, I don't expect any big problems, but you may want to keep the time lag in mind when ordering (for $10/book, maybe an extra dollar or two for expedited shipping is worth it around the holidays) . Just my thoughts. I'll check back in when it comes, until then I'm going to read Timothy and Dreux...oh yeah, and work.

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/2/2005 8:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Someone named Dreux Moreland is posting poems with images that I find extremely intoxicating! Anyone else?

(If you do read them, I guess my question is, 'How do you KEEP writing poems with such passion? Man!)

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (12/2/2005 3:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Dreux - are you the guy from LA who's now on the medical staff at Brown Uni?

• Rookie - 7 Points Ulrike Gerbig (12/2/2005 2:49:00 PM) Post reply

this is the best poetry i have ever read here: the images are unbelievable. i wish i could write like that. ulrike (impressed and stunned)

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (12/2/2005 12:53:00 PM) Post reply

Tell me these were written over time, Dreux, and not just before you posted them... I'm still green with envy over Jobe...but what creativity! But it would be good to think that we are drawing wri ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points John Kay (12/2/2005 10:33:00 AM) Post reply

Best poems I've read since the Jobe poem ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Poetry Hound (12/2/2005 9:18:00 AM) Post reply

Yes, he has some very fresh and arrestin ... more

[Hata Bildir]