Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Allan James Saywell (10/21/2005 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

why dont we take all the addicts out to devils island issue them with free
    medication set up a rehab on the island dont have any cars ex wives ex husbands or parents or any thing they can damage and see what happens we
    can call it a experiment with free drugs if they happen to say anything
    write it down we can call it beat poetry

Replies for this message:

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (10/21/2005 5:32:00 PM) Post reply

lets bring england back perhaps he might explain to all you people about the benefits of being on drugs he seemed to know all about it

• Jerry Hughes (10/21/2005 5:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

For all those who think injecting heroin is just a prank during the growing up porcess, please read my poem Death Of A Daughter. I saw it happen, and witness to the subsequent distruction of this girls family.

Her father, a one-time good friend of mine, blames himself for not being stronger. Her mother lives a miserably cloistered exsistence, trying to find solace through prayer. And failing.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/21/2005 7:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes Jerry, I have seen it many times and I also meet the pushers in their fancy cars on the streets. There is in my opinion zero tolerance for illicit drugs, a prerequisite for civilised living.. Bes ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/21/2005 7:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Adam, that was a very interesting commentary from you in response to Shep, just like your previous comments about middle class attitudes in poetry. I saved that Kleinzahler poem when you first posted it, and I much prefer it to Prynne. But between those two extremely different styles, there must be many other contemporary poets whose work deserves admiration. I don't know that they're British or not, but I don't think that matters so much any more in this globablly interconnected world. I agree that there is a lot of shallowness and gimmickery, but it's not limited to the UK. So I'll see your Wendy Cope and raise you a Billy Collins. Some of the contemporaries that I admire, and I'm interested in your opinion on, are Li-Young Lee, Linda Pastan, Lisel Mueller, and Wislawa Szymborska.

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Michael Shepherd (10/21/2005 4:33:00 AM) Post reply

Adam, your delineation of the typical contemporary British poet had me falling about. I don't currently read any British poetry. Are there any names you care to mention which are worth a glance from all of us here? And do you share my admiration for Tony Harrison?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (10/20/2005 9:35:00 PM) Post reply

Dear Fellow Brethren:
    I just posted a poem about an opportunity that only the Church can provide.
    I think that we cynics ought to rule the world. And, thank you God for religious freedom.
    Best H
    'Must Write To The Pope Now'

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (10/20/2005 2:49:00 PM) Post reply

my poem 'Princeton' refers to Princeton Illinois, a small farming community north of Peoria, where my dad grew up vice the college of academic prestige.

• Max Reif (10/20/2005 1:12:00 PM) Post reply

I'm soliciting feedback on 'Autobiographical Fairy Tale', a poem I just posted. Actually, I posted it a couple hours ago before I was done revising it. It sort of went out half-dressed. Now I feel it's ready to be seen; I just re-edited.

Is it 'too' anything? (Is it 'not enough' anything?) Please put any comments under the poem.

• Marcy Jarvis (10/20/2005 12:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Speaking of Princeton - Jake, it's satire, right?

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Daniel Tyler (10/20/2005 11:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Does anyone think that there are any song lyrics that are good enough to be classed as, or at least evaluated as poetry, or do you think they are entirely separate, with song lyrics never reaching the depth of feeling that poetry can?
    Daniel Tyler

• Michael Shepherd (10/20/2005 3:51:00 PM) Post reply

I'm age-restricted on recent lyric, which seems to me, in 'commercial' popnrock, to be nudged towards the peddling of one-liners, statements and attitudes to identify with and which don't explore emot ... more

• Max Reif (10/20/2005 12:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

We were discussing this a little while before you came to the Forum, but since no one's said it here, I'll mention (as I did ad nauseam not long ago) that I would give Bob Dylan a Nobel Prize for Lit ... more

• Poetry Hound (10/20/2005 11:48:00 AM) Post reply

The Last Poets - brazen, in-your-face African American poetry spoken over drum and conga beats, from the early '70s, with poems/songs like 'Wake Up, Niggers! ' and 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televise ... more

• Marcy Jarvis (10/20/2005 11:30:00 AM) Post reply

the ancient to not so ancient poetry, th ... more

[Hata Bildir]