Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/7/2005 3:59:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Ive added some more poems and I am hoping to get some criticism. So send me a message of it to me if you decide to read some. Thank you

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 3:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 33 replies

And yet another Christmas game, you un-co-operative lot, you don't deserve it...:
    One-line poems. No more than ten words - (so you don't write a compressed haiku telegram) . And a clear mental image or idea.
    I've forgotten the example I had in mind. These will have to do, because I haven't thought this through myself, but I'd like others to try, you're an ingenious lot:

What does the mirror reveal to a peacock?

The snow hides the Spring as fathers hide their love.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 33 replies click here
  • Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/7/2005 7:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Anybody know anything about the singer/songwriter Tom Waits?

(never heard of him, till I recently saw him in the (hilarious and interesting) movie, 'Coffee and Cigarettes', and heard him do a fascinating song called 'You're Innocent When You Dream', that accompanied the titles at the end of the movie, 'Smoke'. He seems like an interesting character.)

• Rookie - 7 Points Ben Cassel (12/7/2005 1:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I went to high school with Tom Waits and he is, indeed, an interesting character. His persona, which grew from the real person but is far less restrained than the real Tom, has grown as he has aged ( ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Joseph Daly (12/7/2005 8:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Tom here are the lyrics to innocent when you dream. You have to search using the first name. There are only three entries on PH and one of them is an instrumental Innocent when You Dream ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Poetry Hound (12/7/2005 8:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Good lyrics, okay songwriting, mediocre musicianship, gravelly voice an acquired taste, adds up to a very narrow niche style that he never breaks out of (nor tries to, apparently) . His whole persona ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Lori Boulard (12/7/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

damn. Now I'm stuck on that song. If l ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Joseph Daly (12/7/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply

Max I sent you a message on Tom

• Rookie - 7 Points Lori Boulard (12/7/2005 8:17:00 AM) Post reply

Didn't he sing 'Life is a Highway' awhil ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 4:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

The Brits here feel that Simon Armitage is a fairly typical Brit poet as of now. Any American views? Adam suspects it may be read more as a 'translation' by non-Brits.
    And now we've got that far - Adam, could you offer half-a-dozen similar 'ought to read though you may not care for it' names?

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/7/2005 3:23:00 PM) Post reply

Adam, I've read your 'bluff' posts and either you're a liar or a brilliant bluffer.. anyway, Adam, Richard, a follow-up to Simon Armitage to offer our American ForumBoyz? Say half-a-dozen? I honestly ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (12/7/2005 8:15:00 AM) Post reply

Checking his page, I realized I'd just read 'I am bothered by...' a couple days ago, when someone posted it. I thought the narrative flowed well, and the dark humor, if that's what it was, had a stron ... more

• Rookie £££ £££ (12/7/2005 4:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Thanks for those who gave comments on my poems, I'm a young writer and quite unsure. Denis, the poem about 'the idiot' was that the main character says he was once minutes from death and when asked how he felt he replies he wishes only he had minutes more that he could achieve so much. As it happens the character never dies and when asked if he followed through on his vision he says no, that he wastes time as before, that it's a sad and necessary factor in the human condition. Visions can't be sustained. Of course the 'character' of the prince is none other than Dostoyevsky himself who escaped a firing squad by mere minutes

• Rookie £££ £££ (12/7/2005 12:56:00 PM) Post reply

No need to apologise. I was happy you showed an interest and gave me a chance to explain.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/7/2005 8:32:00 AM) Post reply

Sorry, you are right. The main thing about The Idiot is that the prince suffers from epilepsy as did Dostoyevsky. very little was known about the condition and it was seen asa mental disease. Have ... more

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/7/2005 3:36:00 AM) Post reply

I think Lulu have a spy on P/H. Friendly ghost.
    When I re-checked a little while ago, things were filled in and it went through without a glitch. Three copies coming by Express International.
    Thanks again, Lori and who is volunteering for the next book? ? ?
    H

• Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/6/2005 9:08:00 PM) Post reply

I just wanted to get my name on here so people can comment on some of my poetry. Thank you

• Rookie Lori Boulard (12/6/2005 8:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Helps if I tell you where to get it!

www.lulu.com - browse the title 'The Poemhunter Anthology'

Happy hunting!

• Rookie Jerry Hughes (12/7/2005 10:16:00 PM) Post reply

Lori, after some difficulty with the Lulu site, we ordered the anthology. Brilliant, praiseworthy effort on your part to see it through to production. Cheers, Jerry

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/6/2005 9:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Just tried to order three copies but it wouldn't let me do Express International Shipping. Sent them a note. I am not willing to wait weeks. Anyone have the same problem? Best H And Lori you dese ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/6/2005 8:51:00 PM) Post reply

Glad to see I'm not the only eager one Max! I'll order first thing on payday! :) Can't wait! Thanks Lori! Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie Max Reif (12/6/2005 8:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I just ordered a couple copies. Yes, it ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/6/2005 8:47:00 PM) Post reply

I looked and it looks great! How much w ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (12/6/2005 8:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

OK, folks. I learned a bit about lulu.com today - mainly that if you order via US Post Office you get the book in ABOUT 1-4 WEEKS! ! So...here's the pitch. I've checked every possible inch of the book, liked it, and made it available for download and purchase (about $7 US) .
    - If you want to download it first and make sure you like the look, etc., feel free.
    - IF YOU WANT A HARD COPY BY CHRISTMAS, ORDER NNNOOOWWWWW WITH EXPEDITED SHIPPING! ! ! IT'S WORTH THE MONEY! ! ! !

If you know of anyone who wants it by Christmas and doesn't 'Forum' please contact them separately.

I've done my very best to get this done right and in time for Christmas; I didn't realize how long the actual process was to get it into my hands!

I hope you all enjoy it. I had a blast doing it; now I want to read much more of contributing - and other - people on 'ole PH.
    Happy Holidays! !
    Lori

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/6/2005 12:49:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey! I hate to be so impatient..........but What's up with the book? Any word lately? I'm losing hope of getting it before Christmas!

• Rookie Lori Boulard (12/6/2005 3:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mary, I too am getting frustrated w/lulu. I ordered the test around Thanksgiving and still nothing in my mailbox! If it's not there today I'm going to contact someone there and see what's up. It on ... more

[Hata Bildir]