Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Michael Shepherd (11/30/2005 4:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Just a reminder that Robert Pinsky is accepting submissions for the weekly poem in online Slate (WashPost) again, from the beginning of December...go on, throw aside your modesty...some of them recently have been models of poetic constipation.

Replies for this message:
    • Lori Boulard (11/30/2005 2:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Gee, MS, you make it sound like such a worthy group, I'm not sure it would be a compliment to be included! Then again, is it as true in poetry as other arts that any press is good press?

• Max Reif (11/30/2005 10:06:00 AM) Post reply

Thank you, sir! Your shouts in the wilderness are being heard!

• ***** ***** (11/29/2005 7:22:00 PM) Post reply

oh... author is Adam Jacot de Boinod and published by penguin reference.

• ***** ***** (11/29/2005 7:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hey all. I just bought a book called 'the meaning of Tingo' which is an exploration of the more unusual and comprehensive words in many languages... such as 'areodjarekput' (inuit) 'to exchange wives for a few days only' or 'nakhur' (Persian) 'a camel that won't give milk until her nostrils are tickled'. Incidentally 'Tingo' means (Pascuense from Easter Island) 'to borrow things from a friend's house one by one until there's nothing left'. Delightful light reading.

• Poetry Hound (11/29/2005 9:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have one just like this called, 'They Have A Name For It' - might be out of print. I keep it in the guest bathroom. People come out laughing.

• Lori Boulard (11/29/2005 8:54:00 PM) Post reply

I LOVE books like that. If you're interested, there are more including the hilarious 'Here Speeching American' in a word-lover's catalog called 'Bas Bleu'. It's probably online as well.

To read all of 3 replies click here
  • Allan James Saywell (11/29/2005 5:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i love a bit of willie no silly billy not my willie, ' willie nelson' the
    song writer singer i love 'blue eyes crying in the rain' 'my heroes have always been cowboys' 'me and paul' 'city of new orleans' 'pretty paper'
    now here is a man who could be called a poet and i must say willie and i look similar the same battered look from too much fresh air and watermellon wine
    have a listen to willie one day if you are not a fan give him a second chance

• Joy Vanderhelm (11/29/2005 5:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am not a big fan of Willie Nelson, myself. As a songwriter, I think Bob Dylan is perhaps the most poetic and, indeed, the most influential lyricist of all time. I don't ususally listen to old countr ... more

• Joy Vanderhelm (11/29/2005 4:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hey all you ladies and gents. How's it shakin'? I just came across a line on in abook I am reading, and while it is not exaclty poetry, I thought I might share it.

'There killing the little man.'

It's from Stephen King's The Dark Tower series volume 7. I thought it was such a great saying for all types and all timeframes that I wanted to post it here.

• Joy Vanderhelm (12/1/2005 8:05:00 PM) Post reply

So, I misspelled it. It's supposed to be 'They're killing the little man.' I'm thinking this forum isn't for me if all the feedback I ever get from anyone is spelling and grammatical corrections. This ... more

• Joseph Daly (12/1/2005 9:42:00 AM) Post reply

It would make more sense if it were 'They're killing the little man'. Unless there is a comma missing after Joy's version.

• Max Reif (11/29/2005 1:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

from one of the other PH Forums:

Komarraju Venkata Vinay (11/15/2005 12: 22: 00 PM) Post reply

My way of writing poetry has always been to go into the inner stillness touching which a spray of emotions pass before my minds eye. I feel them but I am not them; I sense them but I am apart from them. Then the emotions crystallize into words and the words arrange themselves into sentences and the poem is written. All as if by MAGIC. Those days when I dont touch the treasurehouse of 'intuition'I wander in the desert of dreary versification: beautiful perhaps but lifeless. To me the inner stillness is the fountain head of inspiration. What Says Thou, My Fellow Poet?

• Michael Shepherd (11/29/2005 12:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I've just put up James Lee Jobe's 'On Being Asked Why I Write Poetry' on the Freeform Poetry page here, as it's rather long.

• Michael Shepherd (11/29/2005 2:13:00 PM) Post reply

Oops! I put it up and it went later...I've put it up again.

• Max Reif (11/29/2005 1:12:00 PM) Post reply

I found the freeform poetry page, but not the poem you said you posted there.

• Max Reif (11/29/2005 1:11:00 PM) Post reply

pray, where is the Freeform Poetry page, Michael?

• Poetry Hound (11/29/2005 10:22:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

James Lee Jobe has posted some poems here. Check them out. I found a bit of bio on him: James Lee Jobe was for many years the editor of the legendary underground press magazine, One(Dog) Press. He is the author of several chapbooks of poetry, including Dark Like My Father and 7 Days In Yolo, as well as a cookbook, Sabine Cooking.

• Max Reif (11/29/2005 10:43:00 AM) Post reply

Hey, I JUST wrote a comment on his page, after reading and being captivated by several of his poems!

• Max Reif (11/29/2005 9:56:00 AM) Post reply

Perusing the first few pages of recently posted PH poems, I found a number of titles that, themselves, intrigue:

Men Have Ovaries
    Nixon's Body, Dug Up By Wolves
    What The Hog Said
    Victor Wong On The #31 Bus
    Obsessed Like A Scorpion
    The shagpile of Dick Snowden
    Snodhed the nobhed
    Ode to Sarah Jane's face
    The killing bird that sings
    Shouldn’t it be the Greek Horse Anyway?
    There Will Be No Basket of Flowers
    All of creation in my yard
    How My Heart Became An Ear

• Michael Shepherd (11/29/2005 4:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

NEWSFLASH! ! Just in time for Christmas parties - your 'POET' T-shirts with an image of Emily Dickinson or Walt Whitman are now available, and yes, ladies' sizes too...walk proud! Details from poets.org

• Poetry Hound (11/29/2005 8:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I've already tried these poet T-shirts and I give up. I bought a Homer one, but the sleeves turned out to be waaaaay too long. The Oscar Wilde one just looked plain silly on me. The ee cummings one ha ... more

[Hata Bildir]