Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/13/2005 5:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

My goal in life is to become a published poet, which here in this community is not an uncommon ideal, and I am planning on sending in some poems to a literary magazine. I was reading up on it, and I read that most literary magazines are looking for a certain style. I do not know much about those magazines and I wrote to ask some of you who do know about them to read my work and suggest somewhere for my poems to be sent. I would also really appreciate a suggestion or two.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/13/2005 5:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO READ AND ENJOY MY WORK AND AFTER I'M DEAD THEN I WANT TO BE PUBLISHED IN A BIG BOOK WITH LOTS OF PICTURES OF NUDE WOMEN THEN I WILL BE SURE OF MY AUDIENCE

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 5:23:00 PM) Post reply

You should check out the ´Writers and Artists Handbook 2005´ which should be able to guide you on the process. It is a brilliant guide if you don´t know about the kind of work different Journals are i ... more

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 4:29:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Are you up on your reading here at PH?

Here is a pop-quiz question:

In which poet´s classic style are you likely to find the words ´acrimoniously´and ´unsurpassably´in the same sentence?

Smile. The same poet never ceases to amaze...

• Rookie Richard George (12/14/2005 5:39:00 AM) Post reply

There was an early Dark Age author in north Africa called Fulgentius who was noted for his bizarre and baroque vocabulary (like 'bracteamentum', 'glitterment') . He is, by common consent, the most des ... more

• Rookie sheila knowles (12/13/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply

it has to be our Mr NP...right? :) Amazing thing is though, when i feel like torturing my husband, I read one or two lines of his stuff and he knows immediately who it is :)

• Rookie Richard George (12/13/2005 2:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Just saw on the news that 'Tookie' Williams, a murderer who repented in jail and wrote books attacking the gang culture, has been executed by lethal injection. It took him half an hour to die. He was refused clemency by that well-known icon of pacifist art cinema, Arnold Schwarzenegger. As Will Durst the humourist said once: 'Something wrong somewhere...'
    (NB I yield to no one in condemning Williams's crimes but happen to think deprivation of liberty for life is sufficient punishment) .

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/13/2005 6:31:00 PM) Post reply

Now my papers said that Tookie refused to apologise for his crimes...as the justification for his execution...

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 2:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I saw the report just now on Spanish TV and because of my failings in the rapidity of newscast castillan, missed that it was THAT inmate which was executed. Shame - American society had lots to learn ... more

• Rookie Loretta Jackson (12/13/2005 8:44:00 AM) Post reply

I just read Henry David Thoreau's 'Indeed Indeed, I Cannot Tell', does anyone know if this poem is directed at someone specific?

• Rookie Sylvia McMillan Edmonds (12/13/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply

Good morning all! I am a new poet and have posted a few pieces of my work. Could you please take a look at some of my poetry and provide comments and/or votes?
    Thanks a million!
    Sylvia

• Rookie ***** ***** (12/13/2005 7:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

I´ve read a couple of poems today about violence in Australia. Each poem had within it (or in an afternote below it) an assertion that these perpetrators are 'animals'. I find this comparison/parallel offensive to (non-human) animals - who in my estimation only attack eachother for mating/resource/protection purposes, not merely with aggression because they don´t like eachother.

Man´s behaviour is far worse than that of the wider animal kingdom and I don´t think any other animal should be used as the exemplar of evil when we fulfil that role quite well - all by ourselves.

[just a general gut reaction]

To read all of 8 replies click here
  • Rookie Mary Nagy (12/13/2005 6:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Well, heres a different post......I have the day off so I intend to spend it catching up on all the great poems I've missed over this semester! If you have a poem you feel got skipped over.........hollar at me and I'll check it out. (That's to new-comers as well as regulars.........I intend to read plenty today!) It's so easy to miss great poems with as fast as that ''homepage'' gets rolling along! Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie Vidushi Khera (12/13/2005 5:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

here's a question to everyone....if you had to describe my style of writing then how would u describe it? Read some of my poems and then tell me....
    Also i would like to know if people can figure out why i have written a certain poem....do my poems really communicate what i want to say? ?
    Really would appreciate your comments! thanx
    Luv,
    VidZ

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/13/2005 7:03:00 AM) Post reply

Your bio has already told us that we're to feel your poems, not worry so much about the words...so why not just stick with the comments on the individual poems? You don't need critical advice at this ... more

• Rookie Declan McHenry (12/13/2005 6:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Vidushi, you have over 50 poems there. Any specific ones that you want people to concentrate on?

• Rookie ***** ********* (12/13/2005 2:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Calling All twisted writers! lol Tai Just Jesting! Here are the details.

Twisted Tongue is looking for original, well-written stories with a twist, whether it is a twist in the tale or a twisted tale. We are open to all genres, sf/f/h elements preferred but will consider others. We want tales that are powerful, emotional, we want pulling off our seats into the tale. We are also open for poetry, book reviews, articles, interviews and artwork too.

New and upcoming writers are just as welcome as established writers.

email: twistedtongue@blueyonder.co.uk

web: twistedtongue.co.uk

• Rookie ***** ********* (12/14/2005 7:56:00 AM) Post reply

I hope some of you poets have taken a look at least at this new literary mag. I have been on several sites and here there is a lot of talent. So please take a look and send in a few of your best pie ... more

• Rookie - 616 Points Jerry Hughes (12/12/2005 10:44:00 PM) Post reply

Greetings all. As we thunder toward Christmas with gaping wallets, and bleeding credit cards, making all of Santa's helpers fabulousy wealthy. I thought this little poem of mine, may help ease the pain of it all. Cheers then, Jerry

CHRISTMAS CAROLS

God rest ye merry gentlemen
    let nothing you dismay;
    For Jesus Christ our Saviour,
    is here now on display.

Hark the herald angels sing,
    glory to the cash till ring.
    Peace on earth. and mercy mild.
    Jesus, in the shops defiled.

And lo!
    What is that sign writ in the sky
    above the star?