Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie Wayne Guy Butterfield (12/15/2005 4:32:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hello, all. Just wrote an anti-war poem called Nowhere to Hide. It's received some favorable comments, and I've been encouraged to try reaching a general audience, but know little about sites or publishers that might consider it. If any of you have a moment to read it (among my postings, or in the R&R Forum) , I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks and best to all, Wayne

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Joseph Daly (12/15/2005 6:27:00 AM) Post reply

Wayne, you posted this earlier, except there was a slightly different wording to it. I did leave a reply but it seems that by deleting your early message you deleted my comment. So the mystery of th ... more

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/15/2005 5:36:00 AM) Post reply

One of the best poems on the topic...........wonderful poem Wayne. Sincerely, Mary

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 5:21:00 AM) Post reply

My recommendation is that, as with all statements that come hot from the heart, free verse would allow that heat better freedom of utterance.

• Rookie Joseph Daly (12/15/2005 4:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Has anyone noticed how many writers on this site begin their works with a line about waking up? Just an observation. Just a thought.

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/14/2005 11:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Guys, (and ladies) , I'm announcing again that I received my anthology copies! They're lovely! I hope Herbert can find out what's happened to his, and that the rest of you who ordered will get yours any day now.

For those who are new here, we put a book together several weeks ago, and it's been published by an on-demand, online site called Lulu (www.lulu.com) . If you want to learn about the book, go to that site and SEARCH on 'Poemhunters Anthology.'

I wonder, is there a point in sending out review copies? And are the PH folks in Paris receiving a copy?

• Rookie - 7 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (12/15/2005 8:52:00 AM) Post reply

I got mine. They are lovely - my family's getting them for Christmas from my husband & me (we do a grab bag so 1 person gets an expensive present and the rest get something small - I have a very large ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 5:24:00 AM) Post reply

My publishers say, waste of money...but if anyone has good contacts with media or reviewers - ask their advice! It sometimes intrigues them enough to get them to follow it up.

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/14/2005 9:14:00 PM) Post reply

Sorry to ask again.
    I ordered 3 copies of the anthology, they charged my credit card on 7 Dec for the books and EXPRESS international shipping.
    I cannot find a contact e-mail address on the site and there is no history that I can see of them sending anything.
    Anyone have ideas?
    Clicking on the various help and contact buttons gets no contact e-mail facility.
    I am getting frustrated.
    Best
    H

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/14/2005 8:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, in the hopes there can be peace found among the people here on poemhunter and we don't see Round 2 of the infamous Poet Wars............I'd like to post a poem from a wise poet (AJS) and hope we can all enjoy this site (and world) in peace alongside eachother.

A Poem For Peace

How many war's, make a right
    Can i have a belief
    Without a war
    Is my god any different then your's
    Do i have to kill a man
    Who doesn't believe, what i believe
    Did jesus kill for his god
    Would a muslim kill a man
    Who had no god
    Would a man pray in the street
    If he had no church
    I have a right, as a human being
    To be free
    To live in a world, free of war
    So do the children of the world
    So we ask for peace

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/14/2005 11:06:00 PM) Post reply

you have a lot of courage mary coming in to the lions den when the lions have yet to be fed, but women throughout history have displayed courage

• Rookie Mary Nagy (12/14/2005 8:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I posted a question and it was immediately removed........any reason why?

• Rookie Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/14/2005 8:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Andrew beat me to it, though I hasten to add that Mary is known for her covert ad hominem attacks. She will appear in the dark of night at your window, covered by a white sheet, face like Caspar the f ... more

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/14/2005 7:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i'v read a book but do not want to discuss it here but i have read it so i
    guess i have not broken the rules of the forum Shep

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/15/2005 5:19:00 AM) Post reply

Collette looks after this site, not me. Why write anti-war poems when you're so offensive yourself? Hypocrite.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/14/2005 7:29:00 PM) Post reply

as i was coming in the forum a fellow was leaving with three books tucked under his arm, he was dressed like a Rabbi

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/14/2005 4:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

MY ANTHOLOGY CAME IN THE MAIL!
    Remember the anthology, guys?
    It looks BEAUTIFUL!
    Now to read it!

The only thing missing from a 'real book' was an ISBN, and maybe a few 'blurbs' on the back.
    Nice, work, Lori and everyone!
    I'm surprised no one else's has come yet. How weird.

• Rookie Allan James Saywell (12/14/2005 2:46:00 PM) Post reply

there could be a practising magician on site who keeps removing material that could make the person receiving the said material look less intelligent
    it must be the termintor employed by the razor gang

[Hata Bildir]