Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/23/2005 6:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

One more thing today:

A few hours ago I posted 'THE HISTORY OF FAT and THE DIET BLUES, GREENS AND ORANGES' (it's a single poem) . I really like it, and would like to direct your attention to it.

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/23/2005 6:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Gee, I wrote a long, more 'personal' Holiday message, one that 'named names' expressing appreciation and comaraderie, and lost it in the software, clicking back to get more names.

It read kind of like an academy award acceptance speech, anyway, though I've had no award (but a LOT of acceptance!) . Please know that I appreciate you all. Positive comments on my work by poets whose work I've admired has particularly thrilled me, as has making friends with poets, beginners and veterans, from Europe, India, China, Malaysia, Australia, and such places.

This site is indeed a Crossroads! (And speaking of that, I just wrote 'the boss' about why traffic is so often jammed here, and will pass on what he-or she or they-reply.)

• Rookie George Simons (12/23/2005 6:25:00 PM) Post reply

i have been writting since i was eleven.. i am 29.. i would like to publish my poems one day.

[[[]]
    www.movie.ws/29mbermuda/hosting

• Rookie sheila knowles (12/23/2005 1:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'd like to add my 'Happy Christmas' to everyone here, too. Glad I found this site. It has been nice to pop in during times when I felt I'd never find a decent poem to read again, and find such jewels here. I know I've read some wonderful poetry here over the last few months and although I'm not the great participant, I've thoroughly enjoyed the forums, too, both for the drama and for the intelligent commentary!
    My own special greetings go out to a few here who I've had a little contact with. Firstly, Sherrie, thanks for the welcome and allowing me to use your poems :) then to Michael for leaving me such a lovely comment a few months back. Sir, you are a gent! Also thanks to Uriah who reads and comments on almost everything I post and Raynette, too. I appreciate that a lot. A special thanks also to Poetry Hound for his wonderful Bob Gotti commentary. Makes my day :) Also to Nikhil for giving me something to torture my husband with...sorry Nikhil! :) To Dreux for making me excited about poetry again at a time when I was losing the plot!
    And I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but thanks to everyone for the help ad useful comments on my poems. I tend to post and pull but that's only because I'm revising and submitting. I appreciate all the help....Have a great year, everyone.

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (12/23/2005 1:36:00 PM) Post reply

Holiday Greeting/New Year's Wish for all from moi:

MAY YOUR LAUGHTER BE CONTAGIOUS.
    MAY YOUR TEARS CREATE RAINBOWS.

Love and Blessings to all.

• Rookie Jeremiah Shine (12/23/2005 1:01:00 PM) Post reply

Thanks for having me and putting up with my process. Happy December Days!

• Rookie Hayder Gaaz (12/23/2005 12:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hi, guys..its my pleasure to be here among you, and i hope u accept me a new friend and a new member...thanx u all..

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/23/2005 5:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The current figure is that 86% of US publications are self-published - to me, an astonishing figure; but it and the readership of blogs show the way the world is going. Being published by a 'popular' poetry publisher like Bloodaxe or Carcanet could be the new cheap sneer!
    The next step will surely be for someone to set up a magazine that's really sound in judgment, to review all the self-published poetry. My first step into journalism was in a two-page rag which reviewed all the art exhibitions in galleries that national newspapers didn't get round to, those which were set up in your basement, out of sheer love, you couldn't afford to advertise in magazines, etc. It caught on and built up.
    Maybe an online 'Poetry Review' (or The Poetry Hound Weekly'?) would catch on the same way. Then the circle of talent and readership would be complete. Until then, we have Poemhunter Whom God Preserve!

• Rookie Richard George (12/23/2005 3:18:00 PM) Post reply

I self-published my first collection and it had reviews in respectable 'official' UK poetry journals like Envoi, Roundyhouse and Other Poetry. Increasingly editors are understanding how near to imposs ... more

• Rookie Bridgid Patrick (12/22/2005 1:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Without sin, There is no forgiveness.

• Rookie Daniel Tyler (12/22/2005 10:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

I was wondering what some members thought of Beat poetry. At school we have just studied 'Two Scavengers In A Truck, Two Beautiful People In A Mercedes', by Lawrence Ferleinghetti. Any views?

• Rookie Poetry Hound (12/22/2005 5:05:00 PM) Post reply

The beats threw off the shackles of old poetic styles and came up with some truly remarkable work. Mostly they came out with a lot of self-indulgent, shallow, and immature work imho. So you have to pi ... more

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (12/22/2005 3:47:00 PM) Post reply

Daniel, if we generalise about these things, each decade of the 20th century has a flavour. The 1939 war ended in Europe in 1945; the war in the Far East lasted a couple of years longer officially but ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (12/22/2005 3:27:00 PM) Post reply

I was inspired by my first hearing of Ginsberg, but I feel all the glorification of drugs really throws people a curve ball. I saw some of the still-living beat poets at the 25th anniversary celebrati ... more

• Rookie Michael Voorhis (12/22/2005 2:14:00 PM) Post reply

I really really enjoy Lawrence Ferlinghe ... more

[Hata Bildir]