Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • James Timothy Jarrett (5/19/2014 11:36:00 AM) Post reply

JC, Thank you for the honest critique the other day.

• Jefferson Carter (5/19/2014 11:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Brioney, this is more teenage angst (whether yer a teenie or not) , larded with abstractions, trying to tell without showing or involving the reader. Stop writing; start READING, lots and lots of good contemporary and modern poets. Poetry is an art form, not mere self-expression. You have much to learn, so start learning. I'll send you a list of poets that could inspire you and—more importantly- guide you.

Replies for this message:
  • Brioney Leon (5/19/2014 1:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND/OR CRITIQUE THIS POEM :)

Recital

I have shown you everything
    But still you cannot see me
    You think I’m blinded
    with infatuation
    But my eyes sting with tears
    because I see the beauty
    of who you are

I have sung your praises
    But still you will not listen
    You think I’m out of time and
    singing someone else’s song
    but only the music of your voice
    can make me dance

I have given you my faith
    But still you do not trust it
    You think I’m lying to myself
    Trying to make a fantasy real
    but the truth is that I have
    always believed in you

I have filled you with desire
    But still you must deny it
    You think I’m full with lust and
    greedy for something in return
    but the perfect suffering of
    wanting you is enough

I have loved you so
    But still you fear to love me
    You think I’ll be afraid to stay
    abandon and forget you in time
    but my love for you is destined
    and eternal

• Tweetspeak Poetry (5/19/2014 7:43:00 AM) Post reply

Brioney, how long have you been writing poetry?Such a wonderful way to express thoughts and hone our writing skills. And so much to learn over time :) The best part of this poem is the catalog tec ... more

• Jefferson Carter (5/18/2014 10:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jefferson to Lamont below:

Drip, drip, drip, , Lamont. Yer like that Chinese water torture, drip, drip, drip, drip.... " Any poetry before 1980 will be much stronger than contemporary work" ...drip, drip, drip....
    I added modern poetry because Larkin, Lowell, Williams, Bishop, etc. are all wonderful poets any beginning poet should know well. Stevens is probably too intellectually difficult and a poor influence on aspiring poets (as evident in much of your work) though I love Stevens. Keep on dripping, Lamont. My tastes are much more catholic than yours (and I don't mean Roman) will ever be.

• Jefferson Carter (5/18/2014 9:59:00 PM) Post reply

Jefferson Carter to Ben:

After reading a few of your poems, I'd suggest you start reading lots of good contemporary and modern poets. They'd inspire you but more important would guide you away from the personal angst of your current work into an appreciation of poetry as an art form, not merely self-expression. I'll suggest a list if you'd like. JC

Lamont Palmer to Jefferson:

I see you've followed my lead with adding the term 'modern poetry' to your advice, when you only used to say read 'good contemporary poetry'. But I suggest young poets read modern poetry, because so much contemporary poetry is terrible. Anything modern before 1980 will be much stronger work, generally.

• Jefferson Carter (5/18/2014 9:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Adam, yer right, but I won't be sarcastic. Right up front, I'll say it's a pretty awful poem. The first two stanzas sound like bad Christian rock (I know, I know, bad Christian rock is a redundancy) , but that third stanza veers off into Adam Snow-land, syntax so tortured even the Roman soldiers might have blanched at it: " His blood He save. /By his blood our sins He lave, /the price His life in which he gave." As far as diction goes (" lave" ?) , as far as sense goes (" blood He save" ?Save whom?Save what?) , as far as correct usage goes (" life in which He gave" ?) , as far as any metrical sense goes, this stanza is wretched even by Adam's lax standards. In fact, I dare Lamont, Adam's apologist and lickspittle, to find something, anything in the poem that's worthwhile beyond the dubious comfort the hoary myth supposedly offers. Adam, now, more than ever, stop writing and READ some good modern and contemporary poets! Puhleeze, if not out of pity for your readers then out of concern for your own immortal soul! !

• Frank Ovid (5/18/2014 10:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is right up there with The Gettysburg Address. I'd put number 11 on my Greatest Speeches of All Time.

• Adam M. Snow (5/18/2014 6:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

What do you think of this poem I wrote today?Knowing Carter, he's gonna give a lovely comment, sarcastically speaking of course.

Upon this Tree
    Written by Adam M. Snow

Look upon this tree,
    a Man hung for us to see.
    The blood which stains this tree,
    is the reason we are free.

The scars and lashes upon his back,
    all for us, He did not slack.
    A precious life He gave to us,
    surrendering all without a fuss.

Out of love His life He gave;
    this lost lamb, His blood He save.
    By His blood our sins He lave,
    the price His life in which He gave.

Death has claimed Him, but claimed Him no more;
    upon that tree our sins He bore.
    Conquering Hell a battle won,
    victory is He, God's only Son.

• Peter Stavropoulos (5/18/2014 9:13:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Adam, I wouldn't dismiss Jefferson's suggestions without due consideration. It's obvious to me, at least, that he makes them because he cares about you and the art form. You expressed a wish once t ... more

• Frank Ovid (5/18/2014 9:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You never know.

• Ben Matthews (5/18/2014 5:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello all I'm looking for a way to get my poetry shown to people without posting on Facebook or Twitter because a lot of it is personnel between me and someoneand I don't want to eexploit her out in the open like that so I'm looking for suggestions

• Jefferson Carter (5/18/2014 4:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

After reading a few of your poems, I'd suggest you start reading lots of good contemporary and modern poets. They'd inspire you but more important would guide you away from the personal angst of your ... more

• Dan Reynolds (5/17/2014 6:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Frank (Ovid) ....you say you've been reading more of Sherrie's poetry?Where are you finding these poems, as she is not exactly prolific on PH?

• Peter Stavropoulos (5/17/2014 5:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Thanks Frank - as a reply.

• Peter Stavropoulos (5/17/2014 5:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Hi Frank, Thanks for the accolade, I appreciate it. And I agree with Lamont you’re a fair judge. If you make another list I hope I’m still in there. But can I make a suggestion. We all seem to hav ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]