Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 239 Points Laughing@ You (9/27/2014 2:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Chocolate Jesus

by Tom Waits

Well I don't go to church on Sunday
    Don't get on my knees to pray
    Don't memorize the books of the Bible
    I got my own special way
    I know Jesus loves me
    Maybe just a little bit more
    I fall down on my knees every Sunday
    At Zerelda Lee's candy store

Well it's got to be a chocolate Jesus
    Make me feel good inside
    Got to be a chocolate Jesus
    Keep me satisfied

Well I don't want no Abba Zaba
    Don't want no Almond Joy
    There ain't nothing better
    Suitable for this boy
    Well it's the only thing
    That can pick me up
    Better than a cup of gold
    See only a chocolate Jesus
    Can satisfy my soul

When the weather gets rough
    And it's whiskey in the shade
    It's best to wrap your savior
    Up in cellophane
    He flows like the big muddy
    But that's ok
    Pour him over ice cream
    For a nice parfait

Good enough for me
    Good enough for me

Make me feel so good inside
    Keep me satisfied

Replies for this message:
    • Laughing@ You (9/27/2014 2:13:00 PM) Post reply

Yes, it's a flippin' song...and it has nothing to do with the price of tea in China, but it does illustrate how diverse is the theist conversation regarding the mythologies and/or cosmologies in which ... more

• Rookie - 6 Points Tim Dolan (9/27/2014 10:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I know what it took
    But I don’t know what is enough
    And if suddenly truth mattered
    Fold into whatever can offer meaning

This is a must of an identity?
    For it is there, and separate and perfect
    And in the distance
    Resume this cultural induction

I need nothing propped up by my page
    I believe in the manifesto
    Because you are here
    but not even you can reduce meaning

Random flaws and living scars
    Congratulations to my difference
    That now it must happen
    Because I hoped it

• Rookie - 282 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (9/27/2014 8:38:00 AM) Post reply

I posted another PH forum inspired social/political commentary poem written in 2006 and uploaded the audio file that goes with it, but so far the audio is not showing up.

FYI, I am grateful for the Poemhunter website. When PH started in 2003,3 of my poems were selected to be on the site. In 2005, a friend of mine from the Czech Republic let me know that my poems were on PH and I signed up as a member and started posting more of my poems. It was the PH forum that taught me not to take criticism so personally and helped me overcome my fear of sharing my poetic ‘babies’. The poets I have met and continue to meet on this site have left indelible marks on my writing by their example, encouragement, critiques, comments and forum discourses. I have to credit the PH forum for inspiring me to write a good many of my social/political commentary poems. Due to the exposure to different perspectives, I am more confident in my writing as it continues to evolve.

• Rookie - 380 Points Adam M. Snow (9/27/2014 2:55:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

That moment when you have got the urge to write, but you can't find the words to pen. Gotta love writer's block.

• Rookie - 759 Points Lamont Palmer (9/27/2014 12:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

'Acker'. give us a break on the namecalling and the vitriol. Everyone is tired of it. JC posted a poem and we're discussing it and sharing our opinions. Your opinion is no better than anyone else's. You think the poem is 'brilliant', but so far, no one else shares that opinion. Deal with it. If you can't behave in the forum with respect, then take a hike. All we want to do here is engage in debate about poetry. The nastiness is no longer acceptable. -LP

• Laughing@ You (9/27/2014 12:41:00 PM) Post reply

He or she is not intelligent enough to offer effective or even interesting " vitriol" . Palmer, I didn't say the poem was " not brilliant" . Everything Jefferson writes has brillia ... more

• Lamont Palmer (9/27/2014 11:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I'm of the opinion its not the actual discussion of poetry that gets people riled; its the childish name calling and venom and rudeness that causes the fighting. I like the free-wheeling atmosphe ... more

• Frank Ovid (9/27/2014 9:09:00 AM) Post reply

Yeah that'll happen about the time Tariq comes back to earth and takes us all back to Saltus with him.

• Rookie - 587 Points Jefferson Carter (9/26/2014 10:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 14 replies

So what's so great about having faith?If the intensity of one's faith is a measure of that belief's validity, then all you bible-thumpers and Jesus-freaks should join ISIS. Or make up your own religion, the way Joseph Smith did. Adam Snow, after writing so many bad poems and refusing to improve through study and hard work, after settling for the poor poetry you pen, you'd better hope there is an afterlife! ! !

THE FIRST SALTiST CHURCH OF TARIQ OUR LORD

Whenever my mother mentions
    Jesus, I praise Tariq, how,
    2000 years ago, his spaceship
    crash landed in central Utah.
    Tariq, the Prince of Saltus, Tariq,
    the 10-foot-tall alien who talks to me
    in my dreams, whose ship of salt
    dissolved in the 100-year rain.
    I pray twice a day, facing
    the Great Salt Lake. I drink a glass
    of salt water each night.
    When this world of tears ends,
    when Lord Tariq returns, the planet
    Saltus blood-red on the horizon,
    the faithful will be like unto salt crystals,
    the sweat drying on his awful brow.
    My proof?Look at our language.
    “Salt of the earth, ” “salty dog, ”
    “the unplumbed, salt, estranging sea.”
    And tell me this: when it
    rains, what pours?

To read all of 14 replies click here
  • Bronze Star - 6,403 Points Mandolyn ... (9/25/2014 9:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

eww
    how did i get here?

somebody throw me a flash light
    so i can find a tunnel
    and crawl out
    of this strange
    realm
    where
    i
    don't
    have to
    discuss
    anything
    with anyone
    ever.

• Gold Star - 12,058 Points Gajanan Mishra (9/25/2014 8:21:00 PM) Post reply

See life as a garden, and you are the gardener there. but not the owner, owner is some one else.
    See life as a poem, and you are the poet here, you are to compose poems that are there long before.
    Dare not to say mine, my dear. turn the pages and go to the next chapter, if you so like.

• Rookie - 587 Points Jefferson Carter (9/25/2014 6:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

From Adam Snow, whoever or whatever he is: " I will never stop writing and I will always worship God in my own way and that's through poetry. God is good and I will forever give Him praise."

Adam, praising God is a little like having a penis; you can be proud of it but don't wave it around in public.

• John Westlake (9/26/2014 7:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If Mr Adam Snow's page upsets you, then don't visit it. Simple as that. The fact that he has religion should not be harming you. If it is, then stay away from his page. Religion is not the problem ... more

• Frank Ovid (9/25/2014 9:20:00 PM) Post reply

This is a REALLY weird analogy. I had to go take a shower. Adam's only a kid. Don't talk about...you know...peniseses (plural for multiple dicks) . Keep on trucking Adam. Some of us are right th ... more

• Adam M. Snow (9/25/2014 8:09:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

There's no shame in showing that I'm not ashamed of my faith. God is my life and I'm going to let the whole world know it. It's my choice and that's how I'm going to live my life. I live to praise God ... more

• Rookie - 282 Points Alice Vedral Rivera (9/25/2014 1:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

After I removed most of my poems from PH, I was inspired by Dan Reynolds to write another PH inspired poem, 'Givers of Fives'. I then realized that I had previously written 19 PH inspired poems with yesterday's poem being #20. I have decided to start posting the PH inspired poems to the site again (after I locate them on the computer) . In the meantime, I wrote a new PH poem today that I will share here:

Infamous Disgrace

Poemhunter
    Overrun by
    Advertising
    Self-promotion

No longer serves
    The interests of
    A serious
    Community

Dedicated
    To highlighting
    The heroic