Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 108 Points Shifty Moriarty (10/5/2014 9:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

poetry...

where the in-fighting is so fierce
    because the stakes are so low.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie - 108 Points Tony Miller (10/5/2014 10:17:00 AM) Post reply

the only person who's fighting is this stupid guy acker. whats are this stupid religion stuff. he's a blight on this forum it appears

• Rookie - 547 Points Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip (10/5/2014 6:30:00 AM) Post reply

History was the sources of Poetry, and poetry was the sources of music and music was the sources of lyric and lyric was the sources of song and song was the sources of band party.

• Bronze Star - 6,576 Points Soulful Heart (10/5/2014 5:26:00 AM) Post reply

i wud like to greet all the muslim users of ph on this festival... .may Allah grant means to complete their Haj in the near future and wud like to congratulate them who have already achieved this ultimate goal.

• Freshman - 1,232 Points Mike Acker (10/5/2014 2:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Cocktails as reply...

• Freshman - 1,232 Points Mike Acker (10/5/2014 2:16:00 AM) Post reply

Cocktails They are shot up with hormonic cocktails till their balls drop, then they are sent off to build a man's world that only real women will seek, truly. Muscular mounds, distinguishin ... more

• Gold Star - 10,634 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/5/2014 12:31:00 AM) Post reply

A beautiful poem with such different comments and expressions that I read is Sara Teasdale's The old maid......which is in the poemhunter com home page today. Not only the poem that attracted me but the different comments in variety of views it happened in evaluations and definitions. I think the poem is fit for wider discussion and entertain more definitions of comments as an approval of the poem by readers.

• Bronze Star - 6,576 Points Soulful Heart (10/4/2014 1:10:00 PM) Post reply

The oldest surviving epic poem is the Epic of Gilgamesh, from the 3rd millennium BC in Sumer(in Mesopotamia, now Iraq) , which was written in cuneiform scripton clay tablets and, later, papyrus

• Gold Star - 10,634 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (10/4/2014 4:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read the poem river written by Jonne Monte and poem dealt with the contamination of river by chemicals a serious problem of water bodies and it is felt as very beautiful.

• Bronze Star - 6,576 Points Soulful Heart (10/3/2014 10:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The earliestpoetryis believed to have been recited or sung, employed as a way of rememberingoral history, genealogy, andlaw. Poetry is often closelyrelated to musical traditions, and the earliest poetry exists in the form of hymns (such as the work ofSumerianpriestessEnheduanna) . Many of the poems surviving from the ancient world are recorded prayers, or stories about religioussubject matter, but they also include historical accounts, instructions for everyday activities, love songs, [2]and fiction.
    the oral epics of the Balkans, suggest that earlywriting shows clear traces of older oral traditions, including the use of repeated phrases as building blocks in larger poetic units. A rhythmic and repetitious form would make a long story easier to remember and retell, before writing was available as an aide-memoire.[3]Thus many ancient works, from theVedas(1700 - 1200 BC) to theOdyssey(800 - 675 BC) , appear to have been composed in poetic form to aid memorization and oral transmission, in prehistoric and ancient societies.[4]Poetry appears among the earliest records of most literate cultures, with poetic fragments found on earlymonoliths, runestonesandstelae.The oldest survivingspeculative fictionpoem is theTale of the Shipwrecked Sailor, [5]written inHieraticand ascribed a datearound 2500 B.C.E. Other sources ascribe the earliest written poetry to theEpic of Gilgameshwritten incuneiform; however, it is most likely thatThe Tale of the Shipwrecked SailorpredatesGilgameshby half a millennium. The oldestepic poetrybesides theEpic of Gilgameshare theGreekepicsIliadandOdysseyand theIndianSanskritepicsRamayanaandMahabharata. The longest epic poems ever written were theMahabharataand theTibetanEpic of King Gesar.

• Rookie - 186 Points metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/3/2014 4:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Posted this here in sections a few years ago. Thought some might enjoy it again.

• Rookie - 186 Points Soulful Heart (10/3/2014 10:22:00 PM) Post reply

jargon of thoughts put in order as if music starts from low and crescends to higher statacco.....thanx for sharing....

• Rookie - 186 Points metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/3/2014 4:44:00 PM) Post reply

Apologies for the rather scattershot spacing; I originally transcribed and posted this over a period of weeks, and had lines drawn between my daily efforts which I've subsequently erased.

• Rookie - 186 Points metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/3/2014 4:41:00 PM) Post reply

Gaudete- Ted Hughes What will you make of half a man Half a face A ripped edge His one-eyed waking Is the shorn sleep of aftermath His vigour The bone-deformity of consequences His tal ... more

• Rookie - 425 Points Adam M. Snow (10/3/2014 2:02:00 PM) Post reply

I'm on Twitter if anyone's interested @AMSnowOfficial

[Hata Bildir]