Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Bull Hawking Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 8:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Does anyone know if the " Jim Hogg" contest is still going on?I know the submission deadline has passed but who all entered?Has anyone done any Judging/rating?

Replies for this message:
  • Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 8:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hey, Poemhumpers! Any of you going to be in the Twin Cities area this Wed, August 27?I'll be reading with the fine local poet Steve Mueske at SubText Books, St. Paul,165 Western Ave., N., at 7 pm! ! Come by! I'd love to meet you in person! Jefferson

• Dan Reynolds Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 7:13:00 AM) Post reply

I just found out that after all the years I've been posting and commenting here, I am still classed as a rookie. (According to the new Treasure Island gimmick)

• Mohammad Skati Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (8/22/2014 3:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I suggest poets here to read all kinds of poetry good or bad just to distinguish between what is good and what is bad.

• John Westlake Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (8/28/2014 6:58:00 AM) Post reply

Unfortunately sir, not all people's definitions of good and bad poetry are the same. I have read all sorts of poetry and can't always agree with my fellow members. However, your suggestion is sound ... more

• John Westlake Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (8/28/2014 6:57:00 AM) Post reply

Unfortunately sir, not all people's definitions of good and bad poetry are the same. I have read all sorts of poetry and can't always agree with my fellow members. However, your suggestion is sound ... more

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 12:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

John, I like the poem, and one must keep in mind that it is a translation.
    What Palmer means is that it is not up to his metaphorical standards. Here are some examples of Palmer's superior level(or standards, almost genius) :

" Drive his tongue from city to city" , or
    " Lay like roadkill at the entrance of ears" , or even
    " in the car Of your thoughts" ....

Believe it or not, John, these are excerpts from a poem he is so ashamed of he has deleted it.
    So take whatever Palmer says with a pound of salt. He is nothing but a pompous a$$.

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 3:09:00 PM) Post reply

I get a kick out of the people (not you Lamont) that don't want you to be a " persona" , yet their name is " such and such" and their age is 91, and they say whatever they feel be ... more

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 7:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

@Palmer, all true Lamont. You see, when you're an established poet, someone who's demonstrated time and time again that they can write good poetry, you're allowed to take some chances and not have to ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 12:44:00 AM) Post reply

Frank Ovid (8/6/2014 8: 50: 00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies I kind of like that poem. He tries some stuff that's really out there, but at least it's not boring. A for effort. Thanks for posting ... more

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 10:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Walid Khazindar was born in 1950 in Gaza City. He is considered one of the best Palestinian poets; his poetry has been said to be " characterized by metaphoric originality and a novel thematic approach unprecedented in Arabic poetry." He was awarded the first Palestine Prize for Poetry in 1997. He lives in Tunis.

Distant light
    by Walid Khazindar
    loose translation by Michael R. Burch

Bitterly cold,
    winter clings to the naked trees.
    If only you would free
    the bright sparrows
    from the tips of your fingers
    and release a smile—that shy, tentative smile—
    from the imprisoned anguish I see.
    Sing! Can we not sing
    as if we were warm, hand-in-hand,
    shielded by shade from a glaring sun?
    Can you not always remain this way,
    stoking the fire, more beautiful than necessary, and silent?
    Darkness increases; we must remain vigilant
    and this distant light is our only consolation—
    this imperiled flame, which from the beginning
    has been flickering,
    in danger of going out.
    Come to me, closer and closer.
    I don't want to be able to tell my hand from yours.
    And let's stay awake, lest the snow smother us.

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 11:20:00 PM) Post reply

Mike, we're really trying to have some intelligent and honest exchanges here. Why don't you take your childish namecalling and personal attacks somewhere else. -LP

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 10:37:00 PM) Post reply

John, I like the poem, and one must keep in mind that it is a translation. What Palmer means is that it is not up to his metaphorical standards. Here are some examples of Palmer's superior level(or ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 4:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hate to be a party pooper, but there's little that is 'metaphorically original' about this poem. Perhaps I'll look at some other work of his. -LP

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 2:00:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sunday Morning(revised) as reply....

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 3:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Sunday Morning Sunday morning, a time once reserved for choosing paths, reading solemn omens, and misinterpreting ancient thought, now just another morning for contemplating endless space. ... more

• Professor Plum Rookie - 1st Stage (8/20/2014 9:08:00 PM) Post reply

Pickup Bar

her fists were cumulus clouds
    attached to slender wrists and

one grabbed my crotch I
    blinked into ceiling fan eyes

penny for your thoughts make
    that two bartender music man

agitating it like a Maytag washing
    machine under there where they

stick the gum I thought of Norman
    Bates while Lynyrd Skynyrd did

pushups around my head and
    she even did the air guitar move

afterward as sweat bubbled
    out onto my clammy forehead

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (8/20/2014 2:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Abekah, you asked for a critique, so here goes: the poem below is pretty awful. The early lines are vague and pompous statements about big ideas, and the remainder of the poem is shot through with usage errors and sentimentality. I'll give you my usual Dr. Carter prescription for improving your verse: 1) as an ESL poet, write your poems in your first language. Your grasp of English isn't strong enough to allow you to write decent poetry. If you insist on posting poems in English, find a good EFL poet and let him/her translate from your native language work. 2) start reading good contemporary poets in English. That might help. If reading doesn't improve your poems, it will at least keep you too busy to create more bad poems.

Abekah Emmanuel

All But Dreams

The meaning of life always intrigues me,
    Each and everyday, I wonder how
    Life can be such a difficult thing
    To understand to the brim.
    Since the birth of this noble planet earth,
    Many wise men have tried to explain it,
    Stretching the last nerves of their brains
    Many great musicians have sung about it,
    Employing the sweetest melodies
    Many poets have written about it,
    Using the clearest diction in their language,
    But it seems, and I believe, to me,
    The meaning of life isn't clear enough,
    Why do the innocent continues to suffer?
    Why do the pauper still goes to bed
    when his intestines are crying for bread
    While abundant are lying in other homes uncared?
    Why do the orphan still feels he is alone
    While the earth is pregnant with flesh and bones?
    Oh who will tell me?
    What in reality life means,
    For maybe all that I have seen,
    Read or heard since that day I came,
    Are nothing but mere dreams and illusions.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (8/22/2014 4:44:00 AM) Post reply

Heaven sake PHerrrss

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 4:34:00 PM) Post reply

" ...Stretching the last nerves of their brain...great musicians have sung about it..." Shakespearean. Goes straight to the heart of my ears (to quote a very good poet in his own right) .

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 9:19:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

" when his intestines are crying for bread" is good too. A little wacky, but fairly poetic.

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (8/21/2014 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

I agree on that line. The problem is, ba ... more

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (8/20/2014 3:09:00 PM) Post reply

" ...the earth is pregnant with fle ... more

• Abekah Emmanuel Freshman - 2nd Stage (8/20/2014 5:52:00 AM) Post reply

Dear fellow hunters,
    I am back again with a very stunning theme...... Check out my new poem entitled....ALL BUT DREAMS......Please do read it and comment on it.(Dont forget to rate it) I would equally appreciate a more personal criticism from any reader. Best wishes.......................

[Hata Bildir]