Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 124 Points Professor Plum (10/14/2014 3:10:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Anyone with half a brain knows Mikey will win over Big Bird! What think you, Tony?

• Freshman - 1,247 Points Mike Acker (10/14/2014 1:08:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

OK, I accept the challenge. Anything to have Big Bird fut the shuck up. There will be some conditions, though!

Replies for this message:
    • Freshman - 1,247 Points Mike Acker (10/14/2014 3:19:00 PM) Post reply

I don't want you to just shut up, Monty. I want you FUT the SHUCK up! (i don't want this taken down)

• Freshman - 1,247 Points Mike Acker (10/14/2014 3:17:00 PM) Post reply

Believe me, , you don't want to have " issues" with me in person. This is typical of internet bravado. Big talk because you can't be seen. I think there are other reasons why you have sta ... more

• Freshman - 1,247 Points Lamont Palmer (10/14/2014 2:10:00 PM) Post reply

You want me to shut up?This whole year long vendetta has been fueled by your childish namecalling, pointless stunts, and trolling. This time last year you laid out a long diatribe on why you didn't li ... more

• Freshman - 1,095 Points Professor Plum (10/14/2014 10:39:00 AM) Post reply

Acker, if you're Bluebird I want you to tell me right this instant, young man! I always liked Bluebird.

She thought I was stalking her (I wasn't) , but I still liked her. She was smart, funny, and not a bad poet. She was " The Literal Poet" for goodness' sake. One of my all time favorites. Not to mention she was a REAL firecracker. HOT! I never could decide between Sherrie or Bluebird. It was like choosing between your really cute high school teacher or Jane Mansfield the bombshell. I decided I'd keep both. :)

• Gold Star - 11,579 Points Mohammad Skati (10/14/2014 3:07:00 AM) Post reply

I love to discuss any comparison of global poetry. Thanks.

• Veteran Poet - 4,852 Points Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black (10/14/2014 2:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Several months ago PoemHunter asked what did we think could improve this website? I really think an editing option for posts on poetry comments and forums comments would help..what do you think?It would be really nice to not to have to retype because of any errors..

• Rookie - 765 Points Lamont Palmer (10/14/2014 12:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (10/13/2014 9: 08: 00 PM) Post reply
    I have to go back to Monty the Mule. What I was saying was that your level of writing is no higher than mine. This friend is going through some of your other " poems" . It is not personal. It is about my instinct that your writing is strangely very bad for 40 years + of writing.

OK, 'Acker', it appears you have thrown down the proverbial gauntlet. You bluntly stated you think you're equal to me. Instead of both of us trading insults and carving up our own poems (anyone can do a hatchet job on any poem; hell I've seen JC take a hatchet to Merrill, no less) over the issue, we'll post a poem and we'll let Mandolyn and JC judge whose work is the strongest, yours or mine. I don't trust your nameless 'friend', and certainly not your stupid aliases, but I do trust JC and Mandolyn. Even though JC and I have had our battles, I trust him to be intellectually honest in judging a quick little contest. Also he and Mandolyn have both made favorable comments on our work, so it should be a fair contest. If anyone would have an edge it would be you, as you shill for JC as if he's paying you, and you schmooze Mandy a lot. Or if you want to use the two Jims, that's fine. These are the only members I'll consent to as judges. If you want to tack on a third, perhaps Westbrook, or again, one of the two Jims. They're all on your 'unbiased critic' list so I can't imagine you'd protest using them. You coming on and churlishly dismissing all my lines means nothing at all, as everybody knows that you don't like me because you think I have no 'humility'. So a neutral party judging is most fair. Really, they can take a look at 'Little Black Dress' and Asian whatever, but if you want to put up another poem, you can do that. I'll dig up one too. If we can line up the judges, lets do it. What say you?-LP

• Rookie - 765 Points Mike Acker (10/14/2014 1:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

OK, here is what you don't understand. I am guy that goes by instinct. One of the reasons I came here is that I had a feeling that my friends and family liking or even loving my poetry meant nothing ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Freshman - 1,247 Points Mike Acker (10/13/2014 11:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Just for the record, I am a man, healthy, wealthy and pretty wise. What I meant by personal is that all my instincts tell me that your poetry is mediocre at best. I remember the first time I read Prell's poem, I was open-minded. Then I couldn't believe what I was reading. This guy has been reading and writing poetry for forty years and he writes driving tongues from place to place etc... I was in total shock. Then on top of that you drop poet's names like you were friends with them. That was when it hit me. The guy is a fraud! The more I read of your stuff the more that became clear.
    Today, I thought I would again try to be fair and asked this buddy to read your latest first and then Prell's tribute. Here is what he said about both(exactly what I had always suspected and what Jefferson carter had always been saying about your poetry) :

his bottom line is:
    =============No doubt he's among the no talent amateurs who will say to those who note that what he writes is blather, that they are close minded and wholly lacking in imagination.=============

Just to be fair, I asked this same person to critique " Allen Prell's Voice" and here is the response:

Re: Fwd: Re: Allen Prell's Voice
    Sent: October 13th,2014,4: 03 pm
    To: Aspiring Poet

[quote=" Aspiring Poet" ]so what did you think of this one?

Allan Prell's Voice

Barbed wire rousings and puckish grins:
    Morning erupted and deepened guffaws.
    Before noon could calm the nerves,
    An audience of listeners is
    Held like love. That speech, that tenor:
    A liberal sun enters daily
    Into the room of your life, in the car
    Of your thoughts, waking all
    Moribund impressions that
    Lay like roadkill at the entrance of ears.
    (I loved the way he screamed Baltimore;
    Baltimore, in the shriek of microphones;
    It was his heart by the misty harbor) .
    I gave myself to the show,9 to 12,
    To AM radio's weakening sprawl,
    To a demi-god of shrillness who
    Touched airwaves and subsisted on them,
    Till night came crashing loudly,
    Fifty thousand watts of doom,
    Driving his tongue from city to city.

Lamont Palmer

" More crap. Apparently this guy thinks that by putting nonsensical phrases together in an aggressive voice, he has constructed something profound.

No doubt he's among the no talent amateurs who will say to those who note that what he writes is blather, that they are close minded and wholly lacking in imagination.

Don't waste your time with him. Instead, suggest that he post to the Poetry Free For All.

Jeffrey"

and..........

Just to show my good faith, and to prove, once and for all that my instinct regarding Palmer's writing ability or lack of it is valid, I asked someone I know to critique Palmer's newest. I said nothing about Palmer so as not to prejudice this individual. He has written over 10,000 critiques etc. This is what I got back:

95 St. Thomas(by Lamont Palmer)

Should I breathe laughter
    Or just disintegrate?

Right away " you" set my bullshit buzzer going because you've engaged in the either or fallacy. Moreover I have no idea why you are asking these questions even if I knew what " breathing laughter" meant or entailed.

Rooms with windows
    Seem to have no windows;
    The empty plants [, ] placed
    Strategically, resemble
    Everything upon which
    The misfires began;

What misfires?

The role of the stars
    And gonzo flight,
    And the ground we ate on
    Shabbily and happily before
    The insanity

what insanity?and how does one eat shabbily?

grew like crime
    In an oblivious hamlet.

Er... what?Can a hamlet be oblivious to anything?Can gonzo flight or eating grow, let alone like crime anywhere?

Did a clown live here?

Who cares?Why are you asking this question. And how would knowing that a clown did live " here" (where is " here" ?) be relevant to anything?

One cannot say,

Why not?

Much less me

Much less me???Do you mean, even me?,

too confused to know.

But if you were not confused, you could say?

Seaside inlets, nearly conscious rain.

Bull shit buzzer. Rain cannot be conscious, let alone nearly conscious of any thing. What on earth would nearly conscious rain be aware of. How does it distinguish itself from fully conscious rain?In any case, these are sentence fragments. Where is the controlling verb?

Flaws wither and then rise again, like Shelley's

Monster running through this castle.

Flaws are not animate so they cannot wither. Running through anyone's halls in any fashion is not the same as rising. The simile is wholly inapt.

Props are on the stage;

what stage?

an oak chair, this hopeful

Rope,

this what??

the man-child who sheds his own rare tears,

Is this child a prop?That's what you are saying.

When Tiburon darkness kills our monologues

What on earth is Tiburon darkness. And how can any kind of darkness kill a monologue?And who is the " us" you refer to here?

Makes their deaths uproarious farces,

Whose deaths???

falling
    Flat and devoid

If the farce is uproarious, it can hardly be flat or devoid of anything.

devoid of the typical outlook.

devoid of what???What is the outlook that you note is typical?What are its characteristic features?

Let that rapid-fire smile save at least you,
    Though it won't save me, as I thought it would.

Er what?

This is a series of poorly written nonsense statements jumbled together. It is an embarrassment. If you think this in any way presents an experience to anyone, then you have no idea what presenting an experience entails and how to go about presenting one. Trash it."

" He must be if he thinks this piece of landfill has anything to do with poetry."

• Freshman - 1,247 Points Lamont Palmer (10/14/2014 12:57:00 AM) Post reply

You forgot to add this. Funny how you always get rid of the posts that are favorable to me. You crack me up Angie. So transparent. -LP Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (10/13/2014 9: 30: 00 PM) P ... more

• Freshman - 1,247 Points Lamont Palmer (10/14/2014 12:47:00 AM) Post reply

C'mon Angie, stop the drivel. This is boring. Take the challenge. You might win. -LP

• Freshman - 1,956 Points Pranab K Chakraborty (10/13/2014 11:24:00 PM) Post reply

...and at last they got their own way
    to move back their own cave
    someone lost their nerve
    someone hungry to bite back

just then the storm....really a storm and thunder
    rain came behind its devastating anger..... peace... where is that.....

• Rookie - 765 Points Lamont Palmer (10/13/2014 10:46:00 PM) Post reply

I can't attest to his gripe with Plummy or Sherrie, but at least 'Acker' admitted that his feud with me is all personal. He hates me because he thinks I'm 'lacking in humility'. A highly subjective assessment at best. Jealousy, envy, resentment, scorn...such destructive forces. I hope 'he' finds something constructive to do with 'his' life. -LP

• Freshman - 1,095 Points Professor Plum (10/13/2014 10:31:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Lamont and Sherrie are intimating that Acker is Angie (Bluebird is my favorite name for her) . Could this be true?I'd be floored if it was. Bluebird was REALLY a hot number in my book. She had most of the guys on here under her spell, including me. If this is true, my " relationship" with Acker is about to change BIG TIME! I'm in FULL " stalker mode" .
    Can't be true though...heck, Acker used to flirt with her. Am I wrong, people?

Acker, if you're Bluebird, I'm about to get real nice to you. REAL nice.

• Freshman - 1,095 Points Lamont Palmer (10/13/2014 10:56:00 PM) Post reply

LOL. Anyway, 'Ackers' instincts toward me seem very familiar; his obsession with my 'lack of humility', the not letting go of it, etc. It has an 'ex-wife' tinge to it. Guys don't attack each other on ... more

[Hata Bildir]