Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Rookie - 710 Points Gulsher John (10/11/2014 11:28:00 AM) Post reply

The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.

D.H. Lawrence, Studies in Classic American Literature

• Rookie - 598 Points Dan Reynolds (10/11/2014 5:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I have just spent twenty minutes laughing my arse off. Why?what was so funny?I've been pressing the play button on the videos attached to my poems. The poor pronunciation, inflection and emotion make my funny odes even funnier. the female voice also adds to the fray. LMFAO.

Replies for this message:
    • Mandolyn ... (10/12/2014 8:04:00 PM) Post reply

i'm kinda miffed they keep attaching them to my poems when i clearly click the NO audio box. the only audio i want to hear are horses hooves in the distance and a shot gun and a lot of shot guns a ... more

• Diane Hine (10/11/2014 7:11:00 AM) Post reply

out of the mouths of machines our poems baulk and roll like so many turkeys and lemons

• Rookie - 176 Points metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/11/2014 12:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This one always gets to me:

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/11/2014 12:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Though wise men at their end know dark is right, Because their ... more

• Rookie - 176 Points metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/11/2014 12:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Tull, as a reply:

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/11/2014 1:33:00 AM) Post reply

Hiya, Frank! Hope all's well with you, too. :) Anywho, the esteemed Mr. Anderson has been at the top of my heap for decades, although he has been (at least, temporarily) supplanted by my new guitar ... more

• Frank James Ryan Jr...fjr (10/11/2014 1:20:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hey Jim...How's trix?! Hope all is fine and healthy in your world....Well, as a 40+ years Tull fanatic, allz' I can say to your posting of the above is: Awesome lyrics, band, album from which this t ... more

• metamorphhh (aka jim crawford) (10/11/2014 12:34:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day Meanwhile back in the year One, when you belonged to no-one, you didn't stand a chance son, if your pants were undone. 'Cause you were bred for h ... more

• Rookie - 395 Points Adam M. Snow (10/10/2014 9:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You should never be ashamed of poetry, even if it's bad, at least you're expressing what you're feeling. Even if the words are a bit shallow, it's the emotions that gives it power. That is poetry.

• Jefferson Carter (10/11/2014 11:58:00 AM) Post reply

Actually, if your poetry is bad, you should be ashamed of it and NOT post it anywhere. Poetry is an art form, not a sewer for emotional spewings.

• Rookie - 395 Points Adam M. Snow (10/10/2014 7:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies

" We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, " O me! O life! ... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play *goes on* and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?" - Robin Williams (Dead Poets Society)

To read all of 7 replies click here
  • Rookie - 44 Points Kathleen Neff (10/10/2014 11:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey everyone, I'm back! Sorry to be gone for so long, school has been kicking my rump because they switched from four period days to eight period days. Oui what a change, that means more homework, less time to work, and more people to deal with. It has been a rough since school started, I mean seriously the principal is not accepting my ideas to help raise money for the school. Dumb witch. Hmph. Sorry to ramble guys but all I wanted to say was that I am back and ready to start writing poems again. See, ya.

Sincerely,
    Kathleen.

• Rookie - 587 Points Jefferson Carter (10/10/2014 11:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

So here's a message I just got in my inbox.

" Dear Sir Jefferson,

My name is Arlene Ging Taping (Points of View) .
    I have read your post for John Westlake in Forum section..
    The reason why I am writing you Sir because I feel the same way.John is my critics.Worst he correct my grammar words and even on lines and spacing on comments area.I feel embarrassed and hit my pride.So I fight him back also but I did not post on comments but thru private message.Bri Edward is my worst critics.He is John friend also..Now this morning my time I drop by at Brian Johnson posting and I knew now why these 2 people criticized others maybe they want to take revenge by doing it to other Poet and Poetess.

Thank you, Ging"

If this is a joke posted by a troll/persona, I'll just ignore it. If it isn't, then there really is something wrong with someone like Ging; she needs to stop writing poems in Englishand find a good EFL poet to translate her poems written in her first language. What IS it with ESL poets feeling they have to write in English, especially if they're barely literate in the language?

• Points Of View (10/12/2014 9:41:00 AM) Post reply

Thank you very much Jefferson Carter... Your such a nice person... You win! You put me in your trap! Good technique! Celebrate now! ! ! I am sorry John Westlake Gracias Senior

• Professor Plum (10/10/2014 9:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sounds to me like she was coming to you for support because she looked up to you and respected you, but as usual, you threw her under the bus with your asinine paranoia. Nice job, " Doctor" ... more

• John Westlake (10/10/2014 7:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

You can't deny that most of the best poetry critics in the world speak English. Even people who have English as a second language know that. We should be honoured that they write in English so that ... more

• Rookie - 710 Points Gulsher John (10/10/2014 7:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The artist usually sets out - or used to - to point a moral and adorn a tale. The tale, however, points the other way, as a rule. Two blankly opposing morals, the artist's and the tale's. Never trust the artist. Trust the tale. The proper function of a critic is to save the tale from the artist who created it.

D.H. Lawrence, Studies in Classic American Literature

• Mandolyn ... (10/10/2014 12:24:00 PM) Post reply

refer to the last line in my poem " our last field trip" then go smoke a joint

• Rookie - 177 Points Claudge Ben-at (10/10/2014 1:34:00 AM) Post reply

hi Everyone. Behind every situation, there is still inside of us that we cant hide from. The protest, because of crime, un forgiven corrupt of leaders, The sorrow, of our own place struggles from calamities, hunger, in our place The Bureau of Custom 'STOP' countries from all over the world to distribute goods and stuff from the damage that the typhoon brings in. The hunger strike, the home tilt down, all the people do is to CRY for their loss of devastation, - - this is the story that i want to write, the reality that brings and adopts other people all over. Reaching out my country, is devastating, even if we are millions, all over the world. PHILIPPINES its the country where i belong, but you never knew what its like to uphold the criticism and the struggles of poor mental mind.

[Hata Bildir]