Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 9:34:00 PM) Post reply

Finding enjoyment in reading the poetry of a devout christian(believing in christ's virgin birth, miracles, resurrection, and the holy trinity, etc.) is like taking seriously Thomas Jefferson's(slave owner) definition of human freedom, or excitedly reading Hitler's book, 'Finding The Right Final Solution To Your Everyday Problems'.

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 9:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I ran across this exciting link for both our infamous streaker, Cherry Gonzalez, and our resident Big Bird(we may upgrade the status to monty the mule) :

http://creationmuseum.org/

Oh, and you're welcome!

Replies for this message:
    • Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 9:35:00 PM) Post reply

The state-of-the-art 70,000 square foot museum brings the pages of the Bible to life, casting its characters and animals in dynamic form and placing them in familiar settings. Adam and Eve live in the ... more

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 11:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Monty the Mule sez, " Actually Adam Snow does do JC harm. Poets who write in a rhythm and rhyme style pose an existential threat to poets like JC. They know if the mainstream literary community begins to shift more toward formality as the preferred style (something that has never changed among general readers) it would render their flat, prosy narratives, not musical enough to be thought of as strong poetry. Everyone knows instinctively that's true. Its just a matter of the literary community admitting it again. It would save the craft of poetry, but of course put a lot of 'poets' out of business, so to speak, or at the very least compromise their reputations. That's why JC froths at the mouth in anger, and wildly dismisses the techniques of formal poetry when he is confronted by them. I understand his plight perfectly."

What mind-sewage! ! The majority of " general readers" have read nothing later than the Frost poems they were forced to encounter in high school. Those who " love" poetry may read Billy Collins, if anyone, an avatar of the plain-spoken. Formal poetry is dead, dead, dead. In the 90s, the " New Formalists" tried to revive the corpse but to no avail. The " mainstream" poetry community, if it exists at all, is now composed of MFAs and aspiring poets. Whatever new thing is coming down the poetry pike (and Monty the Mule should know this) won't be formal but strange, genre-bending and theory-driven.

Of course, not one of MM's comments above relates to Adam Snow, who hasn't even a nodding acquaintance with the " techniques of formal poetry." Adam's proud-as-punch doggerel isn't worth reading, much less seriously discussing.

• Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/30/2014 5:29:00 PM) Post reply

I write both styles of poetry: traditional and modern verse and both schools of poetry require a great deal of effort.i wrote one poem that I didn't have to change anything not one word on it when it ... more

• Jacqueline Nash Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 10:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A deeply touching but beautiful poem that tugs at the heart strings. I wonder sometimes, is it the happy times of the past we yearn for or is it really a yearning to be young again.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 11:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

True Ms. Nash, as D H lawarence was different, sometimes was poorly annotated.I like him more as a novelist.

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 10:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Piano
    by D. H. Lawrence

Softly, in the dusk, a woman is singing to me;
    Taking me back down the vista of years, till I see
    A child sitting under the piano, in the boom of the tingling strings
    And pressing the small, poised feet of a mother who smiles as she sings.
    In spite of myself, the insidious mastery of song
    Betrays me back, till the heart of me weeps to belong
    To the old Sunday evenings at home, with winter outside
    And hymns in the cozy parlor, the tinkling piano our guide.
    So now it is vain for the singer to burst into clamor
    With the great black piano appassionato. The glamour
    Of childish days is upon me, my manhood is cast
    Down in the flood of remembrance,
    I weep like a child for the past.

• Jacqueline Nash Rookie - 1st Stage (9/30/2014 10:53:00 AM) Post reply

A deeply touching but beautiful poem that tugs at the heart strings. I wonder sometimes, is it the happy times of the past we yearn for or is it really a yearning to be young again.

• Gajanan Mishra Silver Star - 5th Stage (9/30/2014 6:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Follow me not please. Search your own way of life here and go on your own way. I am no body to show you the road. Everywhere there is a way, see and start your journey as soon as possible.

• Gajanan Mishra Silver Star - 5th Stage (9/30/2014 6:29:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Follow me not please. Search your own way of life here and go on your own way. I am no body to show you the road. Everywhere there is a way, see and start your journey as soon as possible.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/30/2014 4:57:00 AM) Post reply

I just read two poems in poemhunter.com. and felt it both interesting in such importance and poetic sense. First poem written by veteran poet Valsa George. The name of the poem God's Kind of poetry. Commenced with the famous quoting of Leonardo Davinci and quoting is " Painting is poetry that is seen rather than felt. And poetry is painting that is felt rather than seen" A true fact in poetry always to be born in mind. The following poem in detail is wonderful creation from the poet in such deep sense of devotion and submission to the belief and in that sense of understanding and reciting felt it having greatness in words and poetry. I liked it. 2. A poem written by Zainab Zaheen which is relevant questions on the injustices and wars committed on the humanity and questions there of. The poem is also very beautiful and knowledgeable.I think both of these poems have valuable identities in the relevant ideas.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/29/2014 11:18:00 PM) Post reply

I read a member poem in the poem hunter com. today and it is written by ONlia AVElar the Sun and sea. I felt it a beautiful poem and social importance. It pertains to the tourism and poet has beautifully told the events and says that In modern temples of sun and sand and sea. All tourist pilgrims he describes. They lies almost nude a common scenes in tourist centers worldwide in beaches. But it not goes further and only acceptable and amusing level the description made and I find it as a beautiful poem for recitation also.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/29/2014 11:07:00 PM) Post reply

I got a valuable chance to read the greatPoet Samuel Taylor Coleridge" s poem " The good great man" in which the summary of the poem is the great teaching that Greatness and goodness are not means but the ends. Three firm friends more sure than day and night i.e. Himself, his maker and Angel death. What a great imagination I felt. Surely all our deeds and actions and expectations are to be finally the responsibility of ours and there are no someone take the responsibility I think. Great poems have such most valuable messages to give to the readers and I like this poem and suggest best of friends and readers for comments.

[Hata Bildir]